BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
lazerborg
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

M3 price (invoice vs MSRP)

Hi guys,
I'm getting close to buying a 2011 M3, and was wondering what your experiences have been with pricing on new M3s. I know both the invoice and MSRP of the car I'm looking at, as well as the "what people are paying" price according to Edmunds (about 1.7k below MSRP, 4.2k above invoice). My question is, what can I reasonably expect to get as a price on this car? I know that this varies from dealer to dealer, and from car to car, but in general, what should I be shooting for? I've heard people on forums saying they payed just over invoice, which would be great.
Finally, I'm looking at the car for a two-year lease, not as a purchase, but this shouldn't change negotiations too much, should it?
Thanks!
P.S. I've been looking at lease rates on BMW North America, which look great, but when I got a quote from the dealer, the rate was considerably higher; even without taxes figured in. Has this been your experience, or are they asking too much?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
kaykay's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Hey,

You should browse the "New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking / Dealer Reviews" forum. Lot's of great information on pricing, leases, invoice, etc. in there.

Typically, anywhere from $500 - $1,500 over dealer invoice is a great deal and very common around these forums. Most dealers are aware of the going rate of these cars. This also depends on a few factors: build slot availability, the number of dealerships in your area, etc. Here in Southern California we have 25 dealers within 25 miles and you see $500, $800, $1000 over invoice without a sweat.

Some people will complain and moan for a few hundred bucks on deals, but the MOST important aspect of any deal that involves a large purchase such as a $75k car is how you are treated and taken car of POST SALE.

Buying from a dealer which is neither local nor reasonable for a $500 savings is not a wise move. Buy from a dealer where you have a relationship, or in your case are just establishing one, a dealer that will take your calls, provide loaners, pickup your car, provide you with stellar service and not nickel and dime you on everything for the period that you own the car.

I would have gladly paid $2,000 over invoice to my dealer for the stellar service I receive compared to SO MANY dealerships that just don't care about you or your car. Which is terrible and should certainly not be the way business is done.

Good luck
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Leonardo629
Major
United_States
13
Rep
1,206
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walnut, CA

iTrader: (9)

like what kaykay said...getting $500~$1500 is not a problem, often times, negotiations are not even needed. What eventually kills the deal is your credit score..and if you have a history of financing or leasing a luxury brand like BMW/Merc/Audi...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
///Mperative's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: like grandma
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Hey,

You should browse the "New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking / Dealer Reviews" forum. Lot's of great information on pricing, leases, invoice, etc. in there.

Typically, anywhere from $500 - $1,500 over dealer invoice is a great deal and very common around these forums. Most dealers are aware of the going rate of these cars. This also depends on a few factors: build slot availability, the number of dealerships in your area, etc. Here in Southern California we have 25 dealers within 25 miles and you see $500, $800, $1000 over invoice without a sweat.

Some people will complain and moan for a few hundred bucks on deals, but the MOST important aspect of any deal that involves a large purchase such as a $75k car is how you are treated and taken car of POST SALE.

Buying from a dealer which is neither local nor reasonable for a $500 savings is not a wise move. Buy from a dealer where you have a relationship, or in your case are just establishing one, a dealer that will take your calls, provide loaners, pickup your car, provide you with stellar service and not nickel and dime you on everything for the period that you own the car.

I would have gladly paid $2,000 over invoice to my dealer for the stellar service I receive compared to SO MANY dealerships that just don't care about you or your car. Which is terrible and should certainly not be the way business is done.

Good luck
+1,000,000
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
M3 Esq
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 Esq's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,964
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 335i, X5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (5)

Check out this thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346708

FWIW, I recently had a deal for $500 over invoice from one dealer, the deal fell through, and I got $500 over from a second dealer. In this market, you should be able to do quite well (meaning $750 over and below without much hassle). Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
GOLFFRR's Avatar
269
Rep
17,311
Posts


 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
Check out this thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346708

FWIW, I recently had a deal for $500 over invoice from one dealer, the deal fell through, and I got $500 over from a second dealer. In this market, you should be able to do quite well (meaning $750 over and below without much hassle). Good luck!
yes def check this thread. Im sure there are some guys around your area that posted their deals and where they got the deals from.
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->bmwdavid@icloud.com or 202-262-2900
David's ED special ALL M cars-->http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042739
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
lazerborg
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the help guys.
leonardo, my credit score is "excellent," but I've never leased something this expensive before... will that really be a problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Leonardo629
Major
United_States
13
Rep
1,206
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walnut, CA

iTrader: (9)

It won't be a problem if your score is excellent, BMW financial services will still accept you...but you may need a big down payment upfront.

Things will get easier once you establish yourself with BMWFS.

I say try to negotiate your desired $xxx over invoice with a client adviser first...then have him/her run your credit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerborg View Post
Thanks for the help guys.
leonardo, my credit score is "excellent," but I've never leased something this expensive before... will that really be a problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
TurboFan
Ski bum
TurboFan's Avatar
94
Rep
6,207
Posts

 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Hey,

You should browse the "New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking / Dealer Reviews" forum. Lot's of great information on pricing, leases, invoice, etc. in there.

Typically, anywhere from $500 - $1,500 over dealer invoice is a great deal and very common around these forums. Most dealers are aware of the going rate of these cars. This also depends on a few factors: build slot availability, the number of dealerships in your area, etc. Here in Southern California we have 25 dealers within 25 miles and you see $500, $800, $1000 over invoice without a sweat.

Some people will complain and moan for a few hundred bucks on deals, but the MOST important aspect of any deal that involves a large purchase such as a $75k car is how you are treated and taken car of POST SALE.

Buying from a dealer which is neither local nor reasonable for a $500 savings is not a wise move. Buy from a dealer where you have a relationship, or in your case are just establishing one, a dealer that will take your calls, provide loaners, pickup your car, provide you with stellar service and not nickel and dime you on everything for the period that you own the car.

I would have gladly paid $2,000 over invoice to my dealer for the stellar service I receive compared to SO MANY dealerships that just don't care about you or your car. Which is terrible and should certainly not be the way business is done.

Good luck
I agree to a point, but my local dealer (only one in the state) wants MSRP for an M3, AND they treat you like crap. So I'm headed out of town for my X5 and my [M3 / 550, not sure]. I'll deal with service issues when I need them. They have to honor the BMW warranty. As far as loaners go, they bill those to BMW as well.
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
outie
Lieutenant
5
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerborg View Post
Thanks for the help guys.
leonardo, my credit score is "excellent," but I've never leased something this expensive before... will that really be a problem?
It's unique to every individual. You may have a good score but without much history w/ large loans. Only the dealer/BMWFS can tell you after running your credit.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Dice13
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
550
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I agree to a point, but my local dealer (only one in the state) wants MSRP for an M3, AND they treat you like crap. So I'm headed out of town for my X5 and my [M3 / 550, not sure]. I'll deal with service issues when I need them. They have to honor the BMW warranty. As far as loaners go, they bill those to BMW as well.
I am not sure about dealer billing BMW for loaner cars. I do know they do not have to give you a loaner as I asked this question to many dealer's . Most all dealers give you a loaner because you are there customer.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
///Mperative's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: like grandma
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice13 View Post
I am not sure about dealer billing BMW for loaner cars. I do know they do not have to give you a loaner as I asked this question to many dealer's . Most all dealers give you a loaner because you are there customer.
You're wrong. BMW requires dealers to have a certain number of late model BMW loaners available for customers having their cars services. My local dealership has approx. 30 BMW loaners at any given time. And, BMW definitely pays for the loaners (when work being done is under warranty), otherwise the customer pays for the loaner in most other cases.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
35
Rep
2,295
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I agree to a point, but my local dealer (only one in the state) wants MSRP for an M3, AND they treat you like crap. So I'm headed out of town for my X5 and my [M3 / 550, not sure]. I'll deal with service issues when I need them. They have to honor the BMW warranty. As far as loaners go, they bill those to BMW as well.
This is so true. For you guys in big markets (CA, NY/NJ), $500-$1000 over invoice is easy. For those of us in smaller markets with one dealer, not so easy. Ultimately the deal from a big market dealer will offset any travel or transportation expenses involved but then some dealers treat you like sh*t if you have not purchased from them. And yes, they have to honor the warranty but they can still make life difficult. I am a regular buyer from my dealer and easily get an appt whenever I need it along with loaners. I could save $500 buy shopping around but in the end I am happy with my dealer and my deal.
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
Dice13
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
550
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlef View Post
You're wrong. BMW requires dealers to have a certain number of late model BMW loaners available for customers having their cars services. My local dealership has approx. 30 BMW loaners at any given time. And, BMW definitely pays for the loaners (when work being done is under warranty), otherwise the customer pays for the loaner in most other cases.
Sorry for misinformation . So that means any dealer you service your car at under warranty with must give you a loaner. If you break down and have it towed too dealer, all they need to say is they have no loaners. Does that mean they Must rent you a car. Every dealer I asked said they don't do loners unless car was brought through them. That's why I don't trust dealers.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST