BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
 
esscolab's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colchester - UK

Posts: 728
iTrader: (0)

Alien Intelligence

Have you ever wondered that all religions could be nonsense ? At the end of the day they are a bunch of stories that indotrinate us at a young age so that we mould into the society that teaches them.

Look at Muslims, Jews and Christians, they have their own interpretations and feed their tales to us at a young age when we are most vunerable.


What if.... they were all wrong. What if something else was responsible?

I mean we have the intellect to question everything, so why the hell not?

I see devout religious people every day but often think to myself, why the hell do you beleive it? I bet you 80% will say their families are responsible and that is indoctrination.. a kind of brainwashing for the masses.

How can we be the only plannet in this and any other solar sytem that has life?

Atheism maybye... free thinking is better.

Don't beleive the Hype!


PEACE
__________________
Eibach Sports springs, Evole Remap, Quafe LSD, AR Downpipes, Forge FMIC, Hart'ge Quads, BMS Intake.
esscolab is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
dpratt34
Lieutenant
 
dpratt34's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 335xi / '08 X5 4.8i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: IL

Posts: 563
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This kind of topic can be discussed until we're all blue in the face, but nothing will come of it because it would all be pure speculation.

Believe whatever you want, but keep in mind that preaching is preaching, whether it is pro-religion or anti-religion (such as, "Don't believe the hype.")

I'll keep my own personal views to myself since I am not looking for affirmation from anyone.
dpratt34 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
 
esscolab's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colchester - UK

Posts: 728
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
This kind of topic can be discussed until we're all blue in the face, but nothing will come of it because it would all be pure speculation.

Believe whatever you want, but keep in mind that preaching is preaching, whether it is pro-religion or anti-religion (such as, "Don't believe the hype.")

I'll keep my own personal views to myself since I am not looking for affirmation from anyone.

Speculation is right, it's ALL speculation so why is the majority of humanity happy to wallow in religion? When it comes down to it, none of us know anything about why we are here. Most people are happy to beleive a bunch of stories handed down from generation to generation without questioning anything. For those people I say open your mind.
__________________
Eibach Sports springs, Evole Remap, Quafe LSD, AR Downpipes, Forge FMIC, Hart'ge Quads, BMS Intake.
esscolab is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
shamoo
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoCal (Irvine & LA)

Posts: 744
iTrader: (1)

I already believe all religion is nonsense. But that's just me.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 | 2007 Honda S2000 | 2001 Honda S2000 | 1997 Turbo Integra
shamoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
 
SantaPimp27's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow homie
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jersey

Posts: 412
iTrader: (1)

Here's the only religion lesson you need

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MeSSwKffj9o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MeSSwKffj9o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
__________________
SantaPimp27 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
my92
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Speculation is right, it's ALL speculation so why is the majority of humanity happy to wallow in religion? When it comes down to it, none of us know anything about why we are here. Most people are happy to beleive a bunch of stories handed down from generation to generation without questioning anything. For those people I say open your mind.
If people are happy to believe in a "bunch of stories" then what's wrong with it? Because everything is speculation, then is it not the ultimate happiness to go about leading their happy lives holding onto a certain belief or faith?

At the very least, these religions teach society moral values, much more than what can be said about atheism.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
 
ChineseGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: Black E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Pole

Posts: 1,500
iTrader: (2)

^^

You needed religion to teach you not to kill someone?
ChineseGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
my92
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
^^

You needed religion to teach you not to kill someone?
Probably not but as far as religion goes, it still encourages its believers to lead an ethical life.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
 
ChineseGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: Black E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Pole

Posts: 1,500
iTrader: (2)

Well take a look at the old testament, some of the stories there aren't too ethical.
ChineseGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,661
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
If people are happy to believe in a "bunch of stories" then what's wrong with it? Because everything is speculation, then is it not the ultimate happiness to go about leading their happy lives holding onto a certain belief or faith?

At the very least, these religions teach society moral values, much more than what can be said about atheism.
Ah, your typical idiot.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 03:41 AM   #11
Mahmood07
Captain
 
Mahmood07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston->San Diego->Bahrain

Posts: 809
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Have you ever wondered that all religions could be nonsense ? At the end of the day they are a bunch of stories that indotrinate us at a young age so that we mould into the society that teaches them.

Look at Muslims, Jews and Christians, they have their own interpretations and feed their tales to us at a young age when we are most vunerable.


What if.... they were all wrong. What if something else was responsible?

I mean we have the intellect to question everything, so why the hell not?

I see devout religious people every day but often think to myself, why the hell do you beleive it? I bet you 80% will say their families are responsible and that is indoctrination.. a kind of brainwashing for the masses.

How can we be the only plannet in this and any other solar sytem that has life?

Atheism maybye... free thinking is better.

Don't beleive the Hype!


PEACE
Actually, the Quran does say that we are not alone and that there is extraterrestrial life out there.

Here's one site that talks about this: http://www.alislam.org/library/books...section_7.html
__________________
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Mahmood07 is offline   Bahrain
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #12
my92
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Ah, your typical idiot.
I may have over-generalized but I think my point is still valid. In my experience as a christian church youth leader ( although I'm not very religious anymore ) most of our activities revolved around studying the bible and applying it's teachings into social practices such as honesty, integrity, etc. I have yet to meet an atheist who has talked anything but calling out religious people as moronic and uneducated.

I realize it's most likely different for other people but I was basing my statement off my prior experiences.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
samwoo2go
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 782
iTrader: (12)

your post reminds me what an old wise man once told me. "you are an idiot to think you are important enough that God cares about you."

I f God is the all mighty that created EVERYTHING in the universe, how foolish is it to think you are the most intelligent creature God created out of the whole universe? How different is that view from back then when they thought Earth was the center of the universe and the sun revolves around the earth because we are so god damn important?

This is also related to this example given on History channel by some Japanese scientist once.

On why we should not try to contact aliens.

it's a lose lose situation for us.

if we are more intelligent, then they won't get our signals nor will they send out signals because they are dumb animals.

if they are more intelligent, we won't receive their messages nor will they get ours. Think Indians use to communicate with smoke signals, that was their highest technology for long distance communication. They won't receive radio signals from Europe, nor will Europe get their smoke signals. The tech diff is just too great.

We are looking for human equivalent intelligence with our very limited range communication tools, it's a waste of money.

worst case scenario. (also from history channel)
Think the higher intelligence aliens as humans and we are ants. When you walk by an anthill, do you stop and try to communicate with it? NO!. Why, because it's a waste of your time because they are so much less intelligent and we gain nothing from communicating with them. So we leave them alone and build our super highways and sky scrapers around them. Only when they are in the way, do we crush their world, no ifs, no buts, no negotiations, no warning. So for all we know there are probably universe superhighways right next to earth and we just don't know its there because we are dumb and we are just lucky that earth is not in its way.
samwoo2go is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
ghosthi32
Banned
 
Drives: Water camel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: strait of hormuz

Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
Actually, the Quran does say that we are not alone and that there is extraterrestrial life out there.

Here's one site that talks about this: http://www.alislam.org/library/books...section_7.html
ghosthi32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
twoturboz
Captain
 
Drives: fast
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 738
iTrader: (0)

the god delusion
__________________
twoturboz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
bosstones
Major
 
Drives: o_0
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suburbia

Posts: 1,071
iTrader: (0)

This thread should be moved to the Politics sub-forum. This is sort of up Greatest I Am's alley.
__________________
bosstones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
42 Thinker
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Religion

Nope. I think everyone is entitled to their own thoughts. If they want to be religious then what's wrong with that? Surely its only the minority that causes problems same as with any following.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,661
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
I may have over-generalized but I think my point is still valid. In my experience as a christian church youth leader ( although I'm not very religious anymore ) most of our activities revolved around studying the bible and applying it's teachings into social practices such as honesty, integrity, etc. I have yet to meet an atheist who has talked anything but calling out religious people as moronic and uneducated.

I realize it's most likely different for other people but I was basing my statement off my prior experiences.
Well your original statement assumes that we need religion for morals and that atheists have no morals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
This is also related to this example given on History channel by some Japanese scientist once.

On why we should not try to contact aliens.

it's a lose lose situation for us.
I think I know who you're talking about. Btw, that is an interesting perspective, never thought about it like that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
Actually, the Quran does say that we are not alone and that there is extraterrestrial life out there.

Here's one site that talks about this: http://www.alislam.org/library/books...section_7.html
Oh please go with your Quran and it's "prophecies".

Islam is just another false religion.

In before Muslims attack me...I just tell the facts.

Last edited by DougLikesBMW; 07-31-2010 at 03:56 PM.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

Posts: 1,548
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
At the very least, these religions teach society moral values, much more than what can be said about atheism.
Really? How about all of that silly stuff in faiths telling their followers to kill others, take an eye for an eye, shun certain people, commit infanticide, etc? Interesting, considering that I have been an atheist for some time now and I have never once done any of these things in the name of atheism, much more than can be said about religion of any kind.

Now, pick anyone famous for being a piece of shit and look for the religion in their backgrounds. Jihadist Terrorists, Hitler, Kim Jong-il, Westboro Baptist Church, etc.

Religious people often consider atheists to be bad people with no morals because they haven't been saved by God's graces (because they are told things like this by the church; give me a break). Most of them are not even vocal about atheism in reality. You have equal chances of being a religious piece of shit and an atheist piece of shit. Atheists are exactly what the word means: Prefix "a," meaning "without," and "theism," meaning "belief in deities." That is to say, they are people who don't believe in deities, not militant Satan worshipers who are coming to burn down your house and rape your mom.
__________________

Last edited by PINeely; 07-31-2010 at 05:25 PM.
PINeely is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
radix
there's something different about him
 
radix's Avatar
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post

Interesting, considering that I have been an atheist for some time now and I have never once done any of these things in the name of atheism, much more than can be said about religion of any kind.

Now, pick anyone famous for being a piece of shit and look for the religion in their backgrounds. Jihadist Terrorists, Hitler, Kim Jong-il, Westboro Baptist Church, etc.
Conveniently, you left out the single biggest mass murderer in history, who happened to be Atheist.


Quote:
Stalin's role in the fortunes of the Russian Orthodox Church is complex. Continuous persecution in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction as a public institution: by 1939, active parishes numbered in the low hundreds (down from 54,000 in 1917), many churches had been leveled, and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 were shot during the purges of 1937–1938.[78] During World War II, the Church was allowed a revival as a patriotic organization, after the NKVD had recruited the new metropolitan, the first after the revolution, as a secret agent. Thousands of parishes were reactivated until a further round of suppression in Khrushchev's time. The Russian Orthodox Church Synod's recognition of the Soviet government and of Stalin personally led to a schism with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia.
Just days before Stalin's death, certain religious sects were outlawed and persecuted. Many religions popular in the ethnic regions of the Soviet Union including the Roman Catholic Church, Uniats, Baptists, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. underwent ordeals similar to the Orthodox churches in other parts: thousands of monks were persecuted, and hundreds of churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, sacred monuments, monasteries and other religious buildings were razed.
You were saying? You could say that he did it for the "state" instead of atheism. However, considering the state adopted stance on religion was atheism/secularism, his views and the views of the state were one and the same. That is, the religion wasn't to be tolerated. He waffled on those views a few times however.

If you view Muslims killing for a Muslim state as killing in the name of God, then Stalin killing theists as a means to an atheist state is surely killing in the name of atheism.

Last edited by radix; 07-31-2010 at 05:55 PM.
radix is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

Posts: 1,548
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Conveniently, you left out the single biggest mass murderer in history, who happened to be Atheist.

You were saying?
Thanks for proving exactly what I was saying, that there is NO correlation between your faith and your ability to be a piece of shit.

BTW, your avatar is my favourite line from any Bond movie. Good taste!
__________________
PINeely is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #22
radix
there's something different about him
 
radix's Avatar
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Thanks for proving exactly what I was saying, that there is NO correlation between your faith and your ability to be a piece of shit.

This I agree with. Neither atheism nor theism is not a particularly good predictor of being a POS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
BTW, your avatar is my favourite line from any Bond movie. Good taste!
Thank you, I have to agree with the line, it fit the scene perfectly IMO.
radix is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST