BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Lux Angel Eyes

06-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
doc1911
First Lieutenant

Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

Thank God For McCrystal

I really am not a fan of the COIN idea but as a soldier with multiple deployments all over I cannot tell you how great it was to ready the Rolling Stone article on Stan McCrystal. Finally someone at the top of the military talking somewhat straight and calling out this douch-bag president and sorry-ass Congress
      06-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Negotiator
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 GTI

America, Fuck Yeah!
Negotiator is offline   Ukraine
      06-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
chriseast18
Private

Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1911 View Post
I really am not a fan of the COIN idea but as a soldier with multiple deployments all over I cannot tell you how great it was to ready the Rolling Stone article on Stan McCrystal. Finally someone at the top of the military talking somewhat straight and calling out this douch-bag president and sorry-ass Congress
+10

Here's one of the news pieces on the debacle:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...officials-say/
chriseast18 is offline   United_States
      06-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
jeremicium
Captain

Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Garage List
Being a general is political. History shows that generals challenging presidents tend to lose.

He's a four star, using a rag to call out his commander-in-chief...He shouldn't do that....til he retires. If a bn commander used rolling stone to complain about his brigade commander that would be bad form...thats not how a professional soldier behaves.

I was enlisted for 8 years and have been a commissioned officer for 6. Being in a leadership position you don't make public statements that call into question your leaders! Just like a squad leader shouldn't criticize his platoon leader or company commander in front of his troops.

My troops shouldn't know that I thought Bush was a douche, and that I think Obama is a douche too.
      06-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
doc1911
First Lieutenant

Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

I read the article last night and it is BS. I guess the news media isn't selling enough air-time with the Gulf oil spill. McCrystal never says anything about Obama or his immediate staff. A couple aides says some stuff about Biden and the aides say what they think McCrystal thought of Obama but nothing direct.

The biggest issue is the fact that who ever allowed a journalist that sort of access should be fired. In my 12 years I can tell you time and time again the number of instances soldiers talk shit or make fun of superior officers (O's and NCO's). We are men and if you are a douche, guys are going to call you out. At times it is practically a sport.

McCrystal also talks about Holbrooke. He has been an idiot since Bosnia. If you have ever had to work with the State Dept or any other political entity like them you would understand McCrystal's disdain.

Too bad Obama replaced McCrystal with Patreus. I know the media will love it b/c Iraq is looking better so it must be Patreus. In reality the gains in Iraq were almost entirely made by a handful of guys from special operations and the conventional forces that fell under them. McCrystal at least tried to use everyone but I guess I know who will be doing all the heavy lifting from here on out (or at least more lifting than the 95% they already do).
      06-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
jeremicium
Captain

Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Garage List
I only read excerpts from the article. It would be typical for the media to blow the whole thing out of proportion...which i'm sure is what has happened here.

With regard to making fun of superior officers/ Senior NCOs...I can make fun of a colonel in my chain of command when I am among peers...fellow captains or chummy majors...but NEVER should i do it amongst NCOs and lower. A good leader..officer or enlisted knows this.

Good luck to any general with victory in afghanistan...the afghan people are in no way like the iraqi people.
      06-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Mighty M
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

He'll now triple his salary as a fox news commentator/talking head. If he hadnt done this he would just be another retired general a year after he left the post.

Im sure the offers are already in the mail.
      06-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
chicaneS54

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1911 View Post
this ^.
      07-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

McChrystal did not do anything heroic. He, and his undisciplined subordinates, got busted running their mouths. The military must support our civilian masters no matter what. It's a covenant with the American people. He violated the rules and the president's actions were appropriate.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      07-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
rgrovr
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
He'll now triple his salary as a fox news commentator/talking head. If he hadnt done this he would just be another retired general a year after he left the post.

Im sure the offers are already in the mail.
McCrystal is a noted liberal democrat who voted for Obama. So much for your talking point. From the Atlantic:

Quote:
Even more about McChrystal: now it can be told. The story about him voting for Obama is not contrived. He is a political liberal. He is a social liberal. He banned Fox News from the television sets in his headquarters. Yes, really. This puts to rest another false rumor: that McChrystal deliberately precipitated his firing because he wants to run for President.
      07-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Isn't it against military regs to publicly speak out against the President?
      07-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
lambtron
First Lieutenant

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Isn't it against military regs to publicly speak out against the President?
It is frowned upon, but you cannot suffer any real repercussions from it unless you are wearing your uniform and speaking at an anti-(insert presidents name here) political movement, or any political movement for that matter...unless of course you have permission from the top dogs to give your professional opinion in uniform at said political movement.
      07-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
BTM
Banned

Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
Being a general is political. History shows that generals challenging presidents tend to lose.

He's a four star, using a rag to call out his commander-in-chief...He shouldn't do that....til he retires. If a bn commander used rolling stone to complain about his brigade commander that would be bad form...thats not how a professional soldier behaves.

I was enlisted for 8 years and have been a commissioned officer for 6. Being in a leadership position you don't make public statements that call into question your leaders! Just like a squad leader shouldn't criticize his platoon leader or company commander in front of his troops.

My troops shouldn't know that I thought Bush was a douche, and that I think Obama is a douche too.
Well put
BTM is offline   United_States