BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes 37 41.57%
No 52 58.43%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

05-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #89
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I don't go around harrasing religious individuals, but I'm damn sure opposed to their organizations gaining any more control over this country than they already have, and that means being vocal with my views sometimes.
I think my views on organized religion are closer to yours than you think. I'm no fan of organized religion by any means. I just generally don't think it's appropriate to link every member of a faith to the actions of the radicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
No, but religions damn sure give them a very good reason to be violent, and it's been proven time and time again thoughout history. People are killed in the name of God every single day of the week, and to even suggest that religions don't contribute to violence on a large scale is absurd.
Of course organized religion is at the root of innumerable violent acts in the history of mankind. However, I think you are overrating mankind's ability to avoid violent conflict. Human nature itself will ensure that violence on epic levels will continue forever, regardless of whether or not religion is there as a justification.

I never suggested "religions don't contribute to violence on a large scale". I said people don't need religion to be violent. There's a gigantic and fundamental difference in those two statements. You don't have to tell me twice about the "hajis" in the sandbox who would gladly kill me and every member of my family in the name of their religion. I've seen 'em myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #90
carve
Major
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
In point of fact they are both agnostic, not atheist.
There are a lot of semantic debates on the meaning of those words. Atheist, to many, just means lack of belief in the claim that god(s) exist. Without Theism. Agnostic really has more to do if you think that it is even knowable.

Either way, Buffet & Gates have no religion, and hold no belief in any kind of God that cares about human affairs. Their charity is based entirely on secular reasons, which was my point.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #91
BallsBrawn
Banned
Rep

Drives: Audi S5, e90 328i

Stephen Hawking on Religion: Science Will Win

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #92
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

He is an amazing human, but still he has belief in God. This video he speaks RELIGION vs. Science, but he still says "God not only plays dice with the world, but sometimes throws the dice where they can't be seen."
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #93
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Drives: Black E90

He doesn't really believe there's a Creator. He basically spent most of his life trying to prove that there's really no need for a creator.

I wouldn't say he's an atheist, but after watching most of his documentaries and videos I would say he is not religious in any way.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #94
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
He doesn't really believe there's a Creator. He basically spent most of his life trying to prove that there's really no need for a creator.

I wouldn't say he's an atheist, but after watching most of his documentaries and videos I would say he is not religious in any way.
I agree, not that I know the guy, but I think he just says the God stuff to keep the religious fanatics from setting themselves (and his wheelchair) on fire.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #95
chicaneS54
Rep

Drives: M3

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
I'm not falling for it. If I vote yes, you're just going to call me stupid.

this ^. It is an absolutely loaded thread title/ poll.

"People with higher IQs are less likely to believe in God" "Do you believe in God?" "Yes or No."

Obviously Steven Hawking did not write this thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #96
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10 520d SE

For me as a European Christian the problem is that so many American Christians come across as extremists. We have a faith vs science debate here but without a large body of Christians insisting that the earth is only 6,000 years old the debate is slightly saner.

I believe in God and Science. Both are utterly compatible, so a vs debate is not just futile but not needed either.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #97
chicaneS54
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
For me as a European Christian the problem is that so many American Christians come across as extremists.
That is only your false perception.

Quote:
We have a faith vs science debate here but without a large body of Christians insisting that the earth is only 6,000 years old the debate is slightly saner.
Really sir, A large body of Christians insisting that the earth is only 6,000 years old? I'm sure you have stats to back that statement up right?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #98
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaneS54 View Post
Really sir, A large body of Christians insisting that the earth is only 6,000 years old? I'm sure you have stats to back that statement up right?
Perhaps not large numbers, but loud ones with political influence. With the greatest of respect, Creationism should not be taught in schools.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #99
chicaneS54
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Perhaps not large numbers, but loud ones with political influence. With the greatest of respect, Creationism should not be taught in schools.
That's your opinion. If you are confident that the logic of science can beat out other theories then you should have no problem with both being taught.

You know the true religious extremists, you know the ones flying planes into buildings and bombing double decker buses, they are living and thriving in YOUR country. Those are the religious extremists that you should be worried about.....

Last edited by chicaneS54; 06-27-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Appreciate 0