BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM Sport

06-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
FusionM
Private First Class

Drives: .

Is it absolutely critical to fully strip down the paint before repainting?

I have a situation where the 2-month old paint had come off after removing a cured front bumper clearbra for a redo. Is this the sign of an improper paint job? The autobody shop in Houston that performed the work did not fully strip all of paint off before painting. They claim that it is not necessary to do so due to costs and time. Any thoughts?

Edit:
I just realized I may have posted this in the wrong thread. Moderators, can you please move it? Thanks.
FusionM is offline   United_States
      06-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Normal man. Nobody is going to do that unless you're willing to pay them thru the nose. However, if bumper had been properly prepped, and clear properly cured (it takes days) before installation, that wouldn't have happened. Good luck whoever did the paint job admitting to that. Keep us posted, and good luck.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
zamm3k
Bla!

Drives: JB E90 M3

Normally, when a car has been repainted, you should allow around 2 to 3 months for the paint to fully cure before you clearbra it. It's not necessary to fully strip the bumper of paint in order to re paint it. However, whoever re painted the bumper has to do a hell of a prep and use top notch paint in order to have a nice paintjob. The curing process is also important, you shouldn't wax or polish the car for the first couple of months in order to allow the paint and clearcoat to settle in well together.

zamm3k is offline   United_States
      06-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F30 335i M-sport

All clear bra installers and manufacturers that I have ever seen post signs in the store, or know that clear bra is only removable on stock paint, Everytime I have removed clear bra from my re-painted bumper it has pulled up the paint
brandon @ eas is offline   United_States
      06-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
v35
Enlisted Member

Drives: 997

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
All clear bra installers and manufacturers that I have ever seen post signs in the store, or know that clear bra is only removable on stock paint, Everytime I have removed clear bra from my re-painted bumper it has pulled up the paint
+1. I've done clear bra on numerous repainted bumpers and no matter how long i've waited for it to cure it'll still lift with the clear bra. Stock paint is the only paint expected to stay when a clear bra is removed.