BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
dafunkymunky
Registered
1
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Air conditioning low pressure recharge point

Hi all,

I'm looking to check the level of the air con gas, does anyone happen to know where the low pressure recharge point is located? The high pressure recharge point is nice and handy just behind the radiator at the top of the engine bay but I couldn't locate the other recharge point.

Cheers,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
862
Posts

 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkymunky View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to check the level of the air con gas, does anyone happen to know where the low pressure recharge point is located? The high pressure recharge point is nice and handy just behind the radiator at the top of the engine bay but I couldn't locate the other recharge point.

Cheers,

Chris
I believe its hidden on the right rear side of the engine near the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
80
Rep
4,910
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkymunky View Post
does anyone happen to know where the low pressure recharge point is located?
If you find it, please post a pic. I looked for it when I only saw one some time ago, and was wondering where the hell it was. Hopefully it's somewhere we can reach it without removing any parts. Keep us posted man. Freaking Germans; it's nice when they make things better, but why the hell they have to make many others worse?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
bumping this thread...

I think my ac is out... have not turned on my ac for months and today its about 101 and turned the AC on and no cold air at all...


so im going to try the charge it but dont know where the low pressure recharge point.

ANYONE?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
anyone?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
MilehighM3
Colonel
MilehighM3's Avatar
21
Rep
2,184
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (9)

Under the drivers side microfilter cover
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
crunchy_frog
Private
crunchy_frog's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

see here
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840345
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Dannys M3
Captain
Dannys M3's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
713
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 M3  [5.00]
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
MilehighM3
Colonel
MilehighM3's Avatar
21
Rep
2,184
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (9)

Please tell the world you're not using a cheap top off kit w/leak stop in it...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
SoTempted
Captain
SoTempted's Avatar
8
Rep
758
Posts

 
Drives: Incompetently
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clovis, NM

iTrader: (2)

BUMP ^What kind of kit should we be using to recharge??
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
MTM
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
205
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Before you bother recharging you should check to ensure your compressor clutch isn't burned out. When you cycle the AC should hear the compressor cycle on / off...you can also visually watch the center section of the AC pulley turn on/off.

If your AC clutch runs and you still don't get cool air then the next most likely cause (as you said) is a leak.

I would start with a simple charge kit of R134a from Autozone (or similar).

For example:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=966250

These also usually have refrig oil in them which is good if your system bleed dry (and therefore your compressor needs some oil lovin').

I do not have any negative experience with the sealant that comes in these kits that MilehighM3 mentioned. But if you have a big enough leak that your system is dry then I do not believe a little stop leak will hurt...more than likely it will charge enough to run a couple of days then be gone and you'll be at a repair shop getting something replaced.

Let us know what you find out. By the way...is there no cold air on either side? Meaning driver and passenger? These M3 have separate evaporators so if one side is cold and the other is not then that pretty much guarantees you have a leaky evap on that side.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
SoTempted
Captain
SoTempted's Avatar
8
Rep
758
Posts

 
Drives: Incompetently
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clovis, NM

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Before you bother recharging you should check to ensure your compressor clutch isn't burned out. When you cycle the AC should hear the compressor cycle on / off...you can also visually watch the center section of the AC pulley turn on/off.

If your AC clutch runs and you still don't get cool air then the next most likely cause (as you said) is a leak.

I would start with a simple charge kit of R134a from Autozone (or similar).

For example:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=966250

These also usually have refrig oil in them which is good if your system bleed dry (and therefore your compressor needs some oil lovin').

I do not have any negative experience with the sealant that comes in these kits that MilehighM3 mentioned. But if you have a big enough leak that your system is dry then I do not believe a little stop leak will hurt...more than likely it will charge enough to run a couple of days then be gone and you'll be at a repair shop getting something replaced.

Let us know what you find out. By the way...is there no cold air on either side? Meaning driver and passenger? These M3 have separate evaporators so if one side is cold and the other is not then that pretty much guarantees you have a leaky evap on that side.
Oh crap. Thanks for that last piece of info. My driver side is completely NOT COLD, far passenger vent: pretty cold; center passenger vent: somewhat cool. So what does this mean repair-wise? Can I just expect to have the driver side evaporator replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
MTM
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
205
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds to me like the driver side evaporator is toast. That won't be a cheap repair (probably $1200 or so).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
SoTempted
Captain
SoTempted's Avatar
8
Rep
758
Posts

 
Drives: Incompetently
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clovis, NM

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds to me like the driver side evaporator is toast. That won't be a cheap repair (probably $1200 or so).
Yep, not surprised. As long as the passenger side works, I guess. I only use AC when I'm driving with my girl anyway. Maybe I'll see if a recharge will help a little. I don't see myself paying that kinda money for AC repair... At least there's no humidity here in New Mexico, haha.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST