BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
ejazbmw
blahhh
ejazbmw's Avatar
94
Rep
6,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (7)

TV advice

Hey whats up guys I'm in the market of buying a TV probably pick it up by next Saturday. I checked out best buy and narrowed it down to two one of them is a Samsung 32inch LCD 1080p and the other is a Samsung 26inch LED-LCD 720p both are the same price. My question is I'm mostly using the TV for Xbox and watching some TV/DVDs. I had my heart set on a 32inch and would get a 32inch led but its 300bucks more then i wanted to spend.

the quality for the LED is superior to the LCD but 26inch is a bit smaller then i wanted since it will be going in my room. I'm a bit confused what do you guys think? i feel like there gonna do a 1080p led and the 720 is gonna be outdated soon. i don't really know anyone with a LED tv personally so i can't even ask a friend for input so i thought some of you guys probably have LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
49
Rep
1,437
Posts

 
Drives: X6 50i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

720P has been outdated for about 3 years... no matter what make sure you get a 1080.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
ejazbmw
blahhh
ejazbmw's Avatar
94
Rep
6,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
720P has been outdated for about 3 years... no matter what make sure you get a 1080.
yeah thats what im thinking but i mean isn't led relatively new why do they have 720 in them?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
265
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
720P has been outdated for about 3 years... no matter what make sure you get a 1080.
+1 There is no point getting inferior resolution with just superior lighting and energy efficiency
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
ejazbmw
blahhh
ejazbmw's Avatar
94
Rep
6,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (7)

hmm so the 1080p lcd seems like a better buy?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
265
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary Canada

iTrader: (0)

IMO yes because an LED tv is basically just higher energy savings and the picture will be brighter. Resolution is much more important to me than a brighter picture and energy usage.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Freakazoid's Avatar
36
Rep
967
Posts

 
Drives: Saturn Redline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

alright i'm not going to be one of those guys that goes on a rant.... but all the people here who are spouting about the resolution really have next to no idea what they're talking about (no offense). This unfounded perception is what continues this 1080p vs 720p senseless debates on these small screens.
On a 32 inch screen you will NOT be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you're using it as a monitor as well. I can promise you this.... The OTHER characteristics will come into play.

Ultimately it's your call between the 6 inches. Personally as I'll bet they're both widescreens, I'd go for the smaller one, as the real estate loss isn't quite as extreme as the old school square tv 6 inch loss.

I can just about guarantee you that the 'only' 720p LED will look significantly better than the 1080p LCD.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
265
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
alright i'm not going to be one of those guys that goes on a rant.... but all the people here who are spouting about the resolution really have next to no idea what they're talking about (no offense). This unfounded perception is what continues this 1080p vs 720p senseless debates on these small screens.
On a 32 inch screen you will NOT be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you're using it as a monitor as well. I can promise you this.... The OTHER characteristics will come into play.

Ultimately it's your call between the 6 inches. Personally as I'll bet they're both widescreens, I'd go for the smaller one, as the real estate loss isn't quite as extreme as the old school square tv 6 inch loss.

I can just about guarantee you that the 'only' 720p LED will look significantly better than the 1080p LCD.
I'm not sure about you but when I was in the market for a new tv I could see a difference between the resolutions. It may have been Best Buy changing settings, to make the more expensive tv sell, but this is my experience. There is no doubt a LED tv will "look" better as they are usually brighter and slimmer. But from my experience 1080p vs 720p is very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
ejazbmw
blahhh
ejazbmw's Avatar
94
Rep
6,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post
I'm not sure about you but when I was in the market for a new tv I could see a difference between the resolutions. It may have been Best Buy changing settings, to make the more expensive tv sell, but this is my experience. There is no doubt a LED tv will "look" better as they are usually brighter and slimmer. But from my experience 1080p vs 720p is very noticeable.
yeah we have a 720 45inch in our family room and a 1080 42 in our basement and i can tell a the difference easily from picture quality
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
1080p for sure. Samsung is a great brand, I really recommend their TVs
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
ABQ325i
Private First Class
ABQ325i's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I would like to echo BTM's comment about recommending Samsung. We have a 1080 in our living room and I absolutely love it, we also have a Sony 720 in the bedroom and you really can tell the difference.

XBOX 360 & PS3 games look so good on the Samsung
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
ejazbmw
blahhh
ejazbmw's Avatar
94
Rep
6,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (7)

yeah thanks guys I'm going with the 1080 LCD
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST