BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

ESS Tuning

06-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
rsimm750
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 SG 6MT

Comfort Access gone crazy??

Has this happened to anyone on here?

I just finished washing my car for the second time and my comfort access was again doing some strange things. I did notice it the first time I washed the car but dissmissed it. So here it is.

I was doing a pre-wash rinse and I had no physical contact with the car but my door locks where locking and unlocking. I have my lights set to flash so as the locks operated the lights flashed as well. I thought my girlfriend might be hiding close by and messing with me but that wasnt the case. I called her on the house phone and she answered. My "house" phone is six floors up and on the other side of the building so I felt good that she wasnt messing with me. As the wash continued and I was making contact, but not with the door handle, it continued to happen.

It happened a couple times during the wash and as I thought it about it more I decided to try to replicate it. So picked up the hose and began to rinse the car off. The door locks immediately began to operate as if I grabbed the door handle or pushed the button on the remote. I walked away from the car and took the remote out of my pocket and placed it on the loading dock. About 25-30 feet away. I picked up the hose again and nothing happened. I went and got the remote, rinsed the car and locks and lights started doing their thing. I did notice that when I rinsed one of the door windows it would happen every time. But when rinsing the rest of the car it would happen intermittently. I am just really glad that the windows didn't open. Ok thats it. I'm getting yelled at because we have to wake up at 4am and drive a couple hundred miles. I can't wait to read the replys.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
jhsu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 6MT

There's nothing wrong with your car. It is the water hitting the sensor on the door handle with your key fob nearby. The car cannot distinguish between the contact of your hand and water hitting the sensor. As you have discovered, if you don't want this to happen you need to keep your remote somewhere else like in the house.
      06-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsu View Post
As you have discovered, if you don't want this to happen you need to keep your remote somewhere else like in the house.
Yep, just keep remote away. Nothing wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
roller
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92

As far as the car is concerned, YOU are just a big liquid blob.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
rsimm750
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 SG 6MT

Man all that time in the gym and my car still thinks I'm a blob.

I was guessing/hoping it wasnt anything serious. Thanks for your replies. I will be sure to leave the remote away from the vehicle during cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: e90 M3 Silverstone, 6MT, 19's

you can just unlock your car and throw the key fob inside, like on the front seats. Because the key is inside, your car wont lock.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
you can just unlock your car and throw the key fob inside, like on the front seats. Because the key is inside, your car wont lock.
With BMW's electronic gremlins, rather put the key away . But yes, it shouldn't lock. Have you tried it??? If I was home, no biggie, but I always use self-serve car-washes.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Drives: Slowly

I HAVE tried it and he's right. With the keys in the car it WILL NOT lock and unlock. It drove me up the wall as well.
Appreciate 0