BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
MaverickNemesis
Captain

Drives: Your Girl Crazy

BMW Approved Tires?!?

Just wanted to know if anyone knows what this signifies? I went to the dealer today and I had asked if I needed to purchase the tires directly from them seeing how I have the wheel/tire insurance. They told me no as long as the tires are bmw approved, but recommended keeping the Michelin PS2's even though they dont have much thread life. Now I wanted to go with the different tires but im hestitant on that decision. Can anyone give there 2 cents if possible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
MaverickNemesis
Captain

Drives: Your Girl Crazy

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
calintexas
Major
United_States

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

For sure it seems like either of the tires BMW provides OEM on the M3 would qualify as "approved". I recommend that you read your tire/wheel insurance policy to see what it says and go from there.

All of the tires that are sold as "extreme performance summer" are going to have a similar short tread life to the PS2's
      06-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

"BMW Approved" tires would constitute tires that are the correct size, speed rating, and load carrying capacity for your car (see the owner's manual) plus having the "star" mark on the sidewall. That marking indicates the tire as being BMW OEM spec. Look at a set of PS2s or Contis on an M3 (original tires) and you will see the mark. These tires are available from Tire Rack, the dealer, etc. Note that it is possible to have a tire that has the requisite size and speed rating but without the "star" mark. While the tire would work it is not OEM spec (the rubber compound might be subtly different for example) and not considered to be "BMW Approved". As long as the tire you get is reasonably equivalent in terms of performance standard and quality I've never had a problem with not using a "BMW Approved" tire.
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
Appreciate 0