BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Mtrack
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
 
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (0)

Cell phone question

I really hate my iPhone and wanna try a new phone. I love the Evo 4g thats coming out and also the HTC HD2. Problem is both of these aren't available on AT&T. Any one know how I can get em and have them work?
__________________

.:bHd:. is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
 
Feyd's Avatar
 
Drives: a DEEZZULL
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,239
iTrader: (2)

Switch to TMobile/Sprint. Probobly the only way.

I'd say you are going to run into CDMA vs. GSM issues pretty quickly.
Feyd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Buegie
Captain
 
Buegie's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CT/DC

Posts: 694
iTrader: (2)

not possible to hate the iPhone, you must be mistaken
__________________
Black Dakota | Aluminum | Sport | Premium | Cold | iDrive | CA
Buegie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
TriniJots
Driver
 
TriniJots's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 501
iTrader: (2)

The new iphone is coming out in about 2 months. Its going to be amazing.
TriniJots is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,052
iTrader: (7)

They are on different networks using different protocols (GSM vs. CDMA). You need to switch to Sprint to get the Evo 4G.
__________________

M3 Sedan LCI - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
iPhone's are for people that want to make calls and play games and watch movies.

It's a great device but it's geared toward a different segment of the market.

BlackBerry is a real business tool, with patented push e-mail (Apple claims push email but we all know it's far from that), solid technology, world-band capability, it's just a great great phone in every regard.

I'll never use another phone, I've had every generation of BlackBerry since they had monochromatic screens.

It's just the best smartphone in the world. No questions.

I don't need to play games and listen to my iPod, I need a device that's always reliable, doesn't crash, doesn't need to updated via iTunes every month because of some new bug or new security hole Apple is closing, works on multiple GSM/3G networks, and many more.

And at the end of the day, it's not limited to the WORST mobile network in the world AT&T.

I do have an iPod touch as my iPod but you couldn't pay me to use an iPhone for my business and telephone needs.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
From re-reading your post, you seem like someone who's not interested in a purely-business device, rather a multimedia-entertainment device. The HTC Incredible is gorgeous, I'm sure the new iPhone will be great, you can unlock any phone - it doesn't matter the carrier or the subsidy.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
.:bHd:.
Major
 
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
From re-reading your post, you seem like someone who's not interested in a purely-business device, rather a multimedia-entertainment device. The HTC Incredible is gorgeous, I'm sure the new iPhone will be great, you can unlock any phone - it doesn't matter the carrier or the subsidy.
Ya I don't need the games and stuff. All I use on my iPhone is text, email, maps, and ipod. I can live without the rest.
__________________

.:bHd:. is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
 
335iheLLraiseR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: sfl

Posts: 4,660
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
iPhone's are for people that want to make calls and play games and watch movies.

It's a great device but it's geared toward a different segment of the market.

BlackBerry is a real business tool, with patented push e-mail (Apple claims push email but we all know it's far from that), solid technology, world-band capability, it's just a great great phone in every regard.

I'll never use another phone, I've had every generation of BlackBerry since they had monochromatic screens.

It's just the best smartphone in the world. No questions.

I don't need to play games and listen to my iPod, I need a device that's always reliable, doesn't crash, doesn't need to updated via iTunes every month because of some new bug or new security hole Apple is closing, works on multiple GSM/3G networks, and many more.

And at the end of the day, it's not limited to the WORST mobile network in the world AT&T.

I do have an iPod touch as my iPod but you couldn't pay me to use an iPhone for my business and telephone needs.
wow dude, two updates on 3.0 in one year. try not exaggerating that much. The hate is self evident enough.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
335iheLLraiseR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
 
335iheLLraiseR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: sfl

Posts: 4,660
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
to the OP, if you really are unhappy with your iPhone pick up a Nexus One for AT&T. Google pulled their online store due to the monumental failure it was but either At&T stores, craigslist or most probably Ebay is your best bet.

You can use an N1 from tmobile on att but you wont have 3g coverage. So if you use internet best to find an official att N1.

Good luck. You'll be back though, most that leave always do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
335iheLLraiseR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
You can use an N1 from tmobile on att but you wont have 3g coverage. So if you use internet best to find an official att N1.
T-Mobile has 3G, don't speak nonsense. Nexus One isn't all that, get the HTC Incredible if you want a really nice phone that is along the lines of a multi-media toy like the iPhone.

I have all of these phones on my desk, my job requires that I know them inside and out.

Quote:
Good luck. You'll be back though, most that leave always do.
Fanboy
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Ya I don't need the games and stuff. All I use on my iPhone is text, email, maps, and ipod. I can live without the rest.
Get the new BlackBerry Bold 9700.
  • 3G access
  • WiFi (UMA calling that NO OTHER CARRIER has, you don't have to pay roaming charges when traveling abroad, just use the UMA over WiFi)
  • Best e-mail technology in the world (BlackBerry Push) no question
  • Stick a 16GB Class 4 MicroSD card in there (load movies, music, pictures - read/write times are actually faster than an iPhone 3GS on a Class 4 card)
  • Google Maps is great
  • Full HTML browser (supports Flash, Apple is still ignorant in that regard)
  • 3.2 Megapixel Camera (gorgeous pictures)
  • Lot's of great apps to download (albeit not as many as the App Store, but 75% of the apps on there are pure crap)
Try it out, if you don't like it HTC Incredible - or whatever they release next month. Every month, there's a new HTC device. LOL
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
T-Mobile has 3G, don't speak nonsense. Nexus One isn't all that, get the HTC Incredible if you want a really nice phone that is along the lines of a multi-media toy like the iPhone.
T-Mobile uses a different frequency for their 3G service then AT&T.That is why if you jailbreak an iPhone to T-Mobile you can't get 3G because the iPhone's hardware doesn't support T-Mobiles frequency.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
 
335iheLLraiseR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: sfl

Posts: 4,660
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
T-Mobile has 3G, don't speak nonsense. Nexus One isn't all that, get the HTC Incredible if you want a really nice phone that is along the lines of a multi-media toy like the iPhone.

I have all of these phones on my desk, my job requires that I know them inside and out.



Fanboy
The post says that a tmobile n1 won't work on AT&Ts 3g network, nowhere does it say tmobile doesn't have 3g.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
335iheLLraiseR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
jh valley
there's something different about him
 
jh valley's Avatar
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

ITT: lots of people expressing their opinions as if they were fact.
jh valley is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
iPhone's are for people that want to make calls and play games and watch movies.

It's a great device but it's geared toward a different segment of the market.

BlackBerry is a real business tool, with patented push e-mail (Apple claims push email but we all know it's far from that), solid technology, world-band capability, it's just a great great phone in every regard.

I'll never use another phone, I've had every generation of BlackBerry since they had monochromatic screens.

It's just the best smartphone in the world. No questions.
I will disagree with a few points, the Blackberry devices have generally been terrible phones. I've had 4-5 different versions, also dating back to the monochrome days, and it has always been an email device first, a phone distant second, and a web browser, well, not at all. I'm currently using a Blackberry Tour 9630 (Verizon) for work, and I very much prefer my iPhone for just about everything. I carry both at the same time for the work day, then leave the Blackberry in the office on nights and weekends.

If I'm on the road and need to map something, find a restaurant, check flight status or a whole host of other tasks, the iPhone wins hands down. The mapping on the Blackberry, either the native app or the Google add-on have led me astray a few times as well, while the iPhone has not. If I need to blast off an email with correctly spelling, punctuation and structure, the Blackberry is only marginally faster than the iPhone.

The Blackberry does win on wireless sync for calendars (even with the crappy Lotus Notes we use at work, ugh...) and stomps the crap out of iPhone on battery life. That is not to say the iPhone is the greatest smartphone, it certainly has its issues as well. iPhone's handling of mail (lack of attachment capability being the biggest one, plus folders) is a huge miss on Apple parts in my opinion. I think it also suffers from Blackberry-itis in that it isn't a great phone, but does other things pretty well. But if I could dump my Blackberry and just use my iPhone, I certainly would.
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....

Last edited by scollins; 05-28-2010 at 05:38 PM.
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I will disagree with a few points, the Blackberry devices have generally been terrible phones. I've had 4-5 different versions, also dating back to the monochrome days, and it has always been an email device first, a phone distant second, and a web browser, well, not at all. I'm currently using a Blackberry Tour 9630 (Verizon) for work, and I very much prefer my iPhone for just about everything. I carry both at the same time for the work day, then leave the Blackberry in the office on nights and weekends.

If I'm on the road and need to map something, find a restaurant, check flight status or a whole host of other tasks, the iPhone wins hands down. The mapping on the Blackberry, either the native app or the Google add-on have led me astray a few times as well, while the iPhone has not. If I need to blast off an email with correctly spelling, punctuation and structure, the Blackberry is only marginally faster than the iPhone.

The Blackberry does win on wireless sync for calendars (even with the crappy Lotus Notes we use at work, ugh...) and stomps the crap out of iPhone on battery life. That is not to say the iPhone is the greatest smartphone, it certainly has its issues as well. iPhone's handling of mail (lack of attachment capability being the biggest one, plus folders) is a huge miss on Apple parts in my opinion. I think it also suffers from Blackberry-itis in that it isn't a great phone, but does other things pretty well. But if I could dump my Blackberry and just use my iPhone, I certainly would.
The BlackBerry Tour is the worst BlackBerry they've ever made. The BlackBerry OS was never intended to be a touchscreen GUI.

BlackBerry kills every phone when it comes to email. This is a fact whether users admit it or not. Sending, receiving, storing, organizing, dealing with attachments (pdf's, word, ppt, xls, etc.) it is in a league of its own.

You use Lotus Notes? Welcome to 1992 I guess

iPhone DOES NOT have better battery life than a Bold or Curve (maybe your Storm, but again that's a fail device from RIM). I can't believe you even just said that. LOL

BlackBerry can wirelessly calendars with Google sync - most people just plug it into their systems at the office or wherever to sync with Outlook.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
The BlackBerry Tour is the worst BlackBerry they've ever made. The BlackBerry OS was never intended to be a touchscreen GUI.
Tour is not a touchscreen...... Standard BB form factor.

Quote:
BlackBerry kills every phone when it comes to email. This is a fact whether users admit it or not. Sending, receiving, storing, organizing, dealing with attachments (pdf's, word, ppt, xls, etc.) it is in a league of its own.

You use Lotus Notes? Welcome to 1992 I guess
It gets better, we just upgraded from Win2000 to XP!!

Quote:

iPhone DOES NOT have better battery life than a Bold or Curve (maybe your Storm, but again that's a fail device from RIM). I can't believe you even just said that. LOL
reading is fundamental. I said the battery life on BB stomps the iPhone....
Quote:
BlackBerry can wirelessly calendars with Google sync - most people just plug it into their systems at the office or wherever to sync with Outlook.
At work we have BB enterprise server, but for those that don't, this would work for them.

So on most things, we seem to agree!
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
scollins, I've been fighting the flu so I've been missing posts here and there

I thought you were referring to the Storm

Congrats on your Win XP upgrade - My entire organization skipped Vista and went straight to Win 7 64-bit, couldn't be happier. Finally a solid OS from Microsoft.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
kaykay is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #20
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
scollins, I've been fighting the flu so I've been missing posts here and there

I thought you were referring to the Storm

Congrats on your Win XP upgrade - My entire organization skipped Vista and went straight to Win 7 64-bit, couldn't be happier. Finally a solid OS from Microsoft.
No worries, we'll blame it on the NyQuil....




Yeah, our company is a little weird with technology. We are quite a bit behind the times. I keep having issues with PowerPoint and Excel, only because we are running 2002. We blame the backward-ness on the Dutch though (parent company HQ...)
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
pittsy
Captain
 
pittsy's Avatar
 
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 860
iTrader: (0)

I went through 13 iPhones, finally I ended up dumping AT&T and went to Verizon, got the Droid and love, not 1 issue since november.
__________________
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
pittsy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST