BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #23
Sal@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
24
Rep
1,063
Posts


 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Comparing drop in filters is like splitting hairs.

Which ever one you get you'll probably see around 2hp gain and some additional induction noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Because any HP gains are negligible. But the biggest issue is not how little HP is gained (if at all), but how much more dirt is being allowed in the engine. The engine doesn't need more air than it can use, and the stock filter doesn't seem restrictive at all. For 2 to 3 HP, I would never give up the much better filtering of a paper filter, especially in the desert southwest, but to each his own.
The just prior posted chart shows about 5 hp. If you believe that is consistent and repeatable... I was kind of begging the question. Even 5 hp is too little to feel but a very good gain/$.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
MNm3
Lieutenant
MNm3's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
500
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know if the intake charge kits from MS ACTUALLY do anything to help improve performance?
__________________
2009 E90 Le Mans Blue M3 6MT De-Chromed, AiB V3, Rogue SSK, Brembo BBK, Eibach Pro Kit, Eisenmann Race Black, ESS Tune, MS Filter. 1998.5 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe NASA GTS2 Race Car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #26
ASU
Second Lieutenant
Canada
4
Rep
200
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E93 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Comparing drop in filters is like splitting hairs.

Which ever one you get you'll probably see around 2hp gain and some additional induction noise.
I could use a little help understanding the difference between what a MS or BMC offer and DINAN. The confusion is around price. I understand MS and BMC to be around $100-$175 but the DINAN is around $800.

Can anyone tell me what is DINAN bringing to the table different to justify the delta?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
kmac1980
Major
16
Rep
1,025
Posts

 
Drives: '11 535xi, (former '08 M3)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The just prior posted chart shows about 5 hp. If you believe that is consistent and repeatable... I was kind of begging the question. Even 5 hp is too little to feel but a very good gain/$.
yeah no kidding, anyone that can tell me they feel a 1% gain on the butt dyno is dreaming
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
darwin316
Master Chief
darwin316's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
640
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
yeah no kidding, anyone that can tell me they feel a 1% gain on the butt dyno is dreaming
I agree... I actually enjoy the sound of the intake more with an aftermarket filter than stock. The HP gain is hard to quantify with an uncalibrated butt dyno.
__________________
| 2009 E90 M3 | JZB | Black Leather, Carbon Leather | M-DCT | 19" OEM Wheels | Tech, Premium & Cold Packages | PDC | Alarm | Premium Sound | iPod Adapter |
| 2011 X5 35i Sports Activity| Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo | Convenience, Tech & Cold Packages | HUD | Comfort Access | Premium Sound |

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #29
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The just prior posted chart shows about 5 hp. If you believe that is consistent and repeatable... I was kind of begging the question. Even 5 hp is too little to feel but a very good gain/$.
What's amazing is some will spend much more for exhausts - some of which give similar gains, or sometimes do nothing at all. Unfortunately, this usually enters sacred territory as egos can come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNm3
Does anyone know if the intake charge kits from MS ACTUALLY do anything to help improve performance?
Intake scoops tend to make a slight difference at higher speeds, rather than down low. Both the ICS and filter makes for a nice, inexpensive package - and a filter that will last the life of your M3. The intake growl simply lets you know the filter is present.

The charcoal liners in the stock filters are restrictive. Aftermarket filters are not a magic product that will completely transform your M3 into a race car, but getting additional air into the box isn't never a bad thing - and will gain a few ponies in the process.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #30
mike2010m3
Private
mike2010m3's Avatar
3
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 bmw m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: florida

iTrader: (0)

ok who sells the bmc+ rpi scoops
__________________
2010 bmw m3 black on black every option.
led angel eyes
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
Mike S
Private First Class
Herzegovina
4
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Stratosphere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU View Post
I could use a little help understanding the difference between what a MS or BMC offer and DINAN. The confusion is around price. I understand MS and BMC to be around $100-$175 but the DINAN is around $800.

Can anyone tell me what is DINAN bringing to the table different to justify the delta?
The $900 dollars for the Dinan intake includes the carbon fibre charge pipe and rubber connectors. Well worth it IMO.

Plus my car sounds similar to the old E46 CSL's with this filter.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #32
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
What's amazing is some will spend much more for exhausts - some of which give similar gains, or sometimes do nothing at all. Unfortunately, this usually enters sacred territory as egos can come into play.
But for most (at least those who know anything about say a cat back system) who bother with an exhaust it is done purely for "cosmetic" issues, specifically sound and looks. The weight loss from a Ti system is probably just about equivalent in power to weight terms as the gains from a filter. Any power gains from such a system will also be negligible as you mentioned. Personally the sound alone was well worth the steal of a price I paid used for my system. The difference here is that filters are sold 100% specifically as a performance mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #33
jrin21
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: White e90 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
But for most (at least those who know anything about say a cat back system) who bother with an exhaust it is done purely for "cosmetic" issues, specifically sound and looks. The weight loss from a Ti system is probably just about equivalent in power to weight terms as the gains from a filter. Any power gains from such a system will also be negligible as you mentioned. Personally the sound alone was well worth the steal of a price I paid used for my system. The difference here is that filters are sold 100% specifically as a performance mod.
How does the afe intaked stage 2 kit compare too the others ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #34
M II
United_States
28
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: La Habra, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrin21 View Post
How does the afe intaked stage 2 kit compare too the others ?
Compared to a filter?

The intake kit includes smoother intake pipes with mandrel bends. While the filter will still use the factory intake pipes. The main advantage is smoother and increased volume of air into your engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
kmac1980
Major
16
Rep
1,025
Posts

 
Drives: '11 535xi, (former '08 M3)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: toronto

iTrader: (1)

I installed the BMC filter the other day, the car feels a little bit more responsive and the sound around 3-4K is awsome, especially in 3rd gear (when the car is at speed and the intake is pulling in lots of air).... didn't think a simple filter could change the sound that much
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST