BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #67
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
68

 
GewoW's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Ok, so I just looked up the 292 and it looks about as sophisticated as a $12 Timex from Wal-Mart. How the flagnog are they justifying $10K for that ugly piece of shit? Seriously.
wow honestly PLEASE GTFO
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #68
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
28

 
SpencerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (1)

Ok, so the 292 is not your thing. I get it, not for everyone. But below is a pic of a hand made Panerai movement and a Quartz Timex made by a machine movement.

Panerai OP X Movement


Timex Quartz Movement


Yup, spot on Dr Seuss. about as sophisticated as a $12 Wal-Mart watch.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #69
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
68

 
GewoW's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Ok, so the 292 is not your thing. I get it, not for everyone. But below is a pic of a hand made Panerai movement and a Quartz Timex made by a machine movement.

Panerai OP X Movement


Timex Quartz Movement


Yup, spot on Dr Seuss. about as sophisticated as a $12 Wal-Mart watch.
Hell I'm thinking 12$ is too much for the Pam - maybe they could throw it in if I buy a happy meal
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #70
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
23

 
OzStriker's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne


Posts: 923
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
Jewellery has never interested me in the slightest, go the BBK!
__________________
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #71
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
9

 
SleepyE90's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GhettoBird Metrolpolis


Posts: 508
iTrader: (1)

do you track your car?
if yes, bbk
if no, panerai
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #72
kimchi///kush
Private
4

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago


Posts: 87
iTrader: (1)

Sounds like you've already made your decision...and I think it's the right one. I'd personally troll the risti marketplace for a 249 cali if I were to go with a rad, but the 292 is a beauty. Neither purchase is a good investment, but you'll definitely be better financially in the long run with the Panerai.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #73
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
36

 
Green///Hell's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT AW
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney/Chicago


Posts: 2,661
iTrader: (5)

Why the hell is this thread still up?

It is the most uninteresting and least entertaining thread on the board


Die thread die!!! /Thread
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #74
armorrig
Brigadier General
33

 
armorrig's Avatar
 
Drives: Tamiya
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 3,268
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
Why the hell is this thread still up?

It is the most uninteresting and least entertaining thread on the board


Die thread die!!! /Thread
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:53 AM   #75
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
47

 
John Tanglewood's Avatar
 
Drives: 09' R8 -- 11' M3 (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT


Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (9)

You want stealth?

I just picked this up last christmas in jamaica (duty free FTW). It's right in your price range.

Of course I already have the Panerai you are showing, and I get compliments all the time ..... but not as often as I do from this:

Bell and Ross Phantom


Get the watch.. BBK come and go, timepieces last a lifetime.
__________________

My M3 is for sale here

Last edited by John Tanglewood; 05-18-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #76
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home


Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
wow honestly PLEASE GTFO
Yes, honestly. It's ugly as sin.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #77
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home


Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Ok, so the 292 is not your thing. I get it, not for everyone. But below is a pic of a hand made Panerai movement and a Quartz Timex made by a machine movement.

Panerai OP X Movement


Timex Quartz Movement


Yup, spot on Dr Seuss. about as sophisticated as a $12 Wal-Mart watch.

I understand the internals are of better quality which is why I said it LOOKS like a Wal-Mart Timex. Honestly, as long as it keeps fairly reliable time, and even a Timex will, then there needs to be some focus on the cosmetics. In the aethetics department the 292 fails. Miserably.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #78
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
26

 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA


Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Panerai
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #79
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
26

 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA


Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I understand the internals are of better quality which is why I said it LOOKS like a Wal-Mart Timex. Honestly, as long as it keeps fairly reliable time, and even a Timex will, then there needs to be some focus on the cosmetics. In the aethetics department the 292 fails. Miserably.
I think that is the same movement that I have in my 1950
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #80
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
26

 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA


Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
You want stealth?

I just picked this up last christmas in jamaica (duty free FTW). It's right in your price range.

Of course I already have the Panerai you are showing, and I get compliments all the time ..... but not as often as I do from this:

Bell and Ross Phantom


Get the watch.. BBK come and go, timepieces last a lifetime.
The B&R Phantom is a great watch (and well priced too).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #81
Georgeair
Captain
10

 
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: McKinney, TX


Posts: 757
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
John, how much do you reckon this watch is worth (without the blue marks)?
$86,480 from timeofswitzerland.
__________________
Objects in mirror are slower than they appear.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #82
niqui
Brigadier General
52

 
niqui's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada


Posts: 3,102
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Funny you say this.

I too thought that the whole over sized watch craze that started a few years ago would die out, but it hasn't. Now most Panerais are like 44mm so that isn't too big unlike some stupid Jacob & Co or Grahamn's that are 48-56mm+!

Panerai has had an amazing resurgence in the past 10 years, i do not see the brand dying out anytime soon at all. It has arguablly the most loyal followers, "Panerisiti" than any other brand. Additionally considering that most Panerais are made in 1000-2000 piece runs per year, they really aren't as played out as some suggest.

Lastly, someone was arguing the whole M3/Accord thing and mentioned what;s the difference from a Panerai to a Timex? Bull shit, A) Timex'es are cheap quartz p.o.s.'s and B) are made by machines, Panerais are automatic or manual movements and are hand made in very limited quantities. I too agree that when drivers of high end cars call out people on expensive watch purchases, is really no different than just buying an economical Honda or Toyota.
agreed that it has lasted much longer than i thought...but ive had mine for nearly 8 years and am seeing them more and more frequently, no problem, but still.
i think it is moving to big black watches - big watches are still in but the distinctive luminor case or rad case will soon be very common in my opinion...which bothers some ...still have a soft spot for the 8 day reserve and california, dont know why.
not a great movement but you are paying for the look and such, i am happy with it. i dont think audemars compare to this 6k watch...
__________________
Jet Black E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #83
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
26

 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA


Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
agreed that it has lasted much longer than i thought...but ive had mine for nearly 8 years and am seeing them more and more frequently, no problem, but still.
i think it is moving to big black watches - big watches are still in but the distinctive luminor case or rad case will soon be very common in my opinion...which bothers some ...still have a soft spot for the 8 day reserve and california, dont know why.
not a great movement but you are paying for the look and such, i am happy with it. i dont think audemars compare to this 6k watch...
Panerai's have been big before the "big watch" fad ever came about. Originally, Panerai built watches for the Italian Navy in Firenze (Florence); therefore, diver watches were big so that 1) You could wear them over your dive suit and 2) So you could read the time clearly under water. I actually have an original Panerai 1950 and it is 47mm with a leather strap...it is a beautiful master piece and very rare.

I also have a cold war era Soviet dive watch that was given to me as a gift. It is huge (50mm+), thick and poorly made. However, it looks cool in my watch box (I don't wear it because it is ridiculous).

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #84
gixxer_kidd
Major
29

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ


Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
No matter which one you get now, you'll end up getting the other one down the road. You'll prob get more enjoyment out of the Panerai. Be prepared to spend a few hundred more on straps! =) I have a 177 myself and thought about selling it for other mods, but my wife stops me because she knows I'll end up regretting it or better yet pick up an AP ROO!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #85
MaxL
Captain
Canada
18

 
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 951
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Ok, so the 292 is not your thing. I get it, not for everyone. But below is a pic of a hand made Panerai movement and a Quartz Timex made by a machine movement.

Panerai OP X Movement


Yup, spot on Dr Seuss. about as sophisticated as a $12 Wal-Mart watch.
And here is a picture of a relatively low-end watch that was less than $10 in 50's and could be had for less than $5 on a flee market just 10-15 years ago (it was a typical gift given to common soldiers - anyone with a rank got at least a 20-jewel watch):



This movement looks better to me than that Panerai picture (bad picture?) and many of these watches still work, and they were not a collectors item but a low-end workhorse, so those 60 years were not an easy ride.

Buying watches for design, brand name, status symbol or as jewelry - I totally understand that, and there is a way to explain and justify practically any price. But a technological marvel they are not - even the most complex ones have many times less engineering thought invested in them than a disposable cell phone, and being hand-made only increases the cost but not the quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #86
BigHat
Lieutenant
6

 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa


Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
No matter which one you get now, you'll end up getting the other one down the road. You'll prob get more enjoyment out of the Panerai. Be prepared to spend a few hundred more on straps! =) I have a 177 myself and thought about selling it for other mods, but my wife stops me because she knows I'll end up regretting it or better yet pick up an AP ROO!
I have a number of watches and my Panny 233 doesn't get lots of wrist time, but the basic Panny is classic and changing straps is like getting a new watch.

Much is made of in-house movements. Nothing automatically better about them, but I'd stick with the p2004 movements or one of the modifications of it if it means a lot to you.

Finally just a comment about the JLC movements in the AP ROOs cited earlier. You'd be hard pressed to buy a new one without the in-house movement (3126/3840) as they made a transition a few years back starting with limited editions. This Montawk Highway LE I picked up last summer certainly has it. I think even the basic rubber clad models have it now too.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #87
BigHat
Lieutenant
6

 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa


Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
A
But a technological marvel they are not - even the most complex ones have many times less engineering thought invested in them than a disposable cell phone, and being hand-made only increases the cost but not the quality.
Quite far off the mark. I know it's not an interest of yours, but if you really believe what you wrote you ought of read up on the cutting edge technology employed in many watches. Not only in design and production processes, but especially materials science.

It's not uncommon for a watch movement with complications to take years to refine using state-of-the-art simulation software. Try taking 400 or so small parts and assemble them so they're accurate to +-2 secs per day in virtually all positions.

While not a huge fan of Rolex, I have a few of them and even a basic review of their production facilities, especially the robotics involved is amazing.

http://www.watchtime.at/archive/wt_2...006_04_102.pdf

Last edited by BigHat; 05-17-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #88
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
28

 
SpencerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I have a number of watches and my Panny 233 doesn't get lots of wrist time, but the basic Panny is classic and changing straps is like getting a new watch.

Much is made of in-house movements. Nothing automatically better about them, but I'd stick with the p2004 movements or one of the modifications of it if it means a lot to you.

Finally just a comment about the JLC movements in the AP ROOs cited earlier. You'd be hard pressed to buy a new one without the in-house movement (3126/3840) as they made a transition a few years back starting with limited editions. This Montawk Highway LE I picked up last summer certainly has it. I think even the basic rubber clad models have it now too.
You're right, i think most of not all do have it now. However I got my ROO back in September 2008 and at that point only a few of the LE's had it. I was on the fence about getting the 233 a year ago but passed, now I am looking at the 292 but someone earlier made an interesting call...

IWC Big Pilots Watch............
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST