BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
M3M3CAR
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 AW, ZCP, DCT, on order..

Possibility of adding OEM PDC to E92 Nav

I just got rid of my 550I Sport and will be picking up a fully loaded SG on RF M3 Coupe next week, but the only problem is that it does not have PDC. I know many of you are going to say it's a stupid option and not necessary but unfortunately I still want it.

I want to try to install the full kit and have it integrated into the Nav just as the OEM would.

Do any of you know if it's possible or if it has ever been done before?

I'm mainly interested in the back PDC but If possible I would probably like to try and even have it installed on the fronts as well, as I know the European versions have it in the front.
M3M3CAR is offline   United_States
      04-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Finnegan
Major General

Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3M3CAR View Post
I just got rid of my 550I Sport and will be picking up a fully loaded SG on RF M3 Coupe next week, but the only problem is that it does not have PDC. I know many of you are going to say it's a stupid option and not necessary but unfortunately I still want it.

I want to try to install the full kit and have it integrated into the Nav just as the OEM would.

I'm mainly interested in the back PDC but If possible I would probably like to try and even have it installed on the fronts as well, as I know the European versions have it in the front.
I think this is going to cost you and arm and a leg if it's even possible. Bumper, programming, and possibly a change to the ECU's VIN based list of options installed (the ECU essentially has something like a windows registry for the options associated with the car).

Why not get an integrated rear camera? For under 500 bucks it's more or less plug and play and will achieve the same objective (and more). Here's an vendor I can recommend....You can also find him here on the board.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-10-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Finnegan is offline   United_States
      04-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
duk
///M

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

not worth the hassle and cost imo

duk is offline   United_States
      04-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot

Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport

Interesting idea, and it might actually be possible. I think retrofitting the OEM rear PDC on an E92 could be done, but it would cost $$$. You would need a new bumper, the 4 rear sensors, the PDC harness (which I think is separate from the main body harness), the PDC module, and installation/programming.

The starting point would be to look in the right rear trunk area for the electrical connector that would plug into the module. I think that it will be there, probably wrapped up with cloth tape. The PDC module would be located near the RDC (tire pressure) module, in the plastic carrier behind the right trunk trim panel. look for the wiring in this area.

If the body harness is pre-wired for the PDC, then the retrofit should be fairly easy. Just a bunch of parts to install. Modifying the vehicle order via ISTA/P should not be a big deal. I believe there is an option to retrofit PDC into the vehicle.

If you get serious about this, let me know. I'll try to help you out where I can.
      04-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Finnegan
Major General

Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Interesting idea, and it might actually be possible. I think retrofitting the OEM rear PDC on an E92 could be done, but it would cost $$$. You would need a new bumper, the 4 rear sensors, the PDC harness (which I think is separate from the main body harness), the PDC module, and installation/programming.

The starting point would be to look in the right rear trunk area for the electrical connector that would plug into the module. I think that it will be there, probably wrapped up with cloth tape. The PDC module would be located near the RDC (tire pressure) module, in the plastic carrier behind the right trunk trim panel. look for the wiring in this area.

If the body harness is pre-wired for the PDC, then the retrofit should be fairly easy. Just a bunch of parts to install. Modifying the vehicle order via ISTA/P should not be a big deal. I believe there is an option to retrofit PDC into the vehicle.

If you get serious about this, let me know. I'll try to help you out where I can.
Andy, I thought this was kind of a big deal, but I'm glad I'm wrong (I updated my earlier post based on your info here).
Finnegan is offline   United_States
      04-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
buddster
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E46 M3

I'm working on a front PDC retrofit right now. Doing it on the cheap... sort of. Got a Euro front bumper with PDC for $200 bucks from a bumper shop in the UK, courtesy of ebay in the UK and will have it painted when it arrives. Shipping is about $400 though. Got 4 unpainted sensors from a tuner in Spain - ebay as well for $100 delivered and will get them painted here as well. Overall, less than $1000 to get the sensors and bumper done and painted.

Now, I need a harness for the front. This will be harder to get. I might have to get it through Renn Spec. That's it really. Now that the 3 series LCI's can get front PDC, coding shouldn't be a big deal.
      05-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
Booster4075
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddster View Post
I'm working on a front PDC retrofit right now. Doing it on the cheap... sort of. Got a Euro front bumper with PDC for $200 bucks from a bumper shop in the UK, courtesy of ebay in the UK and will have it painted when it arrives. Shipping is about $400 though. Got 4 unpainted sensors from a tuner in Spain - ebay as well for $100 delivered and will get them painted here as well. Overall, less than $1000 to get the sensors and bumper done and painted.

Now, I need a harness for the front. This will be harder to get. I might have to get it through Renn Spec. That's it really. Now that the 3 series LCI's can get front PDC, coding shouldn't be a big deal.
How is this going? My dad crushed my front bumper by accident so I used the opportunity to get a different one with sensor holes and I obtained painted sensors - all installed (except wiring, for now.) I also procured the dash/seat heater switch. I need to find that front retrofit harness as well (that goes to that module in the R/R 1/4 panel). I took a look at the module tonight - looks like that needs replacing too as there is only two connectors, both used, and I think the modules with front PDC have the third connector.

Please let me know if you get a part number/source for that front harness. I'm trying now to get a breakdown list of the parts used in the actual retrofit and see if I can just order the harness...
Booster4075 is offline   United_States
      05-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
ersin
Brigadier General

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Since you have iDrive a rear-view camera might be a better solution for you. You can even get a front camera too.

Cheers.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
      05-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
buddster
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E46 M3

It's going well. I found the front PDC retrofit kit from Roveractive and the bought the front dash pieces as well. I just need to get it installed which will happen in the next two weeks. Heading to EAS to get it done. I'll posted pics and reviews afterwards.
      05-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3M3CAR View Post

FYI
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PDC E92.pdf (1.07 MB, 345 views)
Technic is offline   United_States