BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #23
flyinb501
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
I know, those wind and solar farms are explosions waiting to happen. Oh wait, no they're not.
Let me know when it will be possible to efficiently run our economy on those energy sources.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #24
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Let me know when it will be possible to efficiently run our economy on those energy sources.
You're thinking too much "in the now."

The efficiency of those sources are significantly on the rise. It's inevitable that we'll converge to them in the future. I mean, we kind of have to; fossil fuels are not going to last forever.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #25
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep

Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
Transmission.
Storage.

Solve those first.
Transmission, oh yeah, that would take an actual investment in our grid's infrastructure. God-forbid. It's not like we don't know how to build power lines. Plus, you need to look into this: http://rael.berkeley.edu/node/248

The technology is there, it just needs funding.

Storage: let's see: The hydrogen battery - http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...-solar-energy/

and the vanadium battery: http://discovermagazine.com/2008/oct...ergy%20storage

But again, guess what, no funding. But yeah, let's spend BILLIONS on fossil fuels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
But neither come remotely close to providing the energy - particularly transportation energy - that we (and the world) needs.

The American Bird Conservancy estimates that U.S. wind turbines kill between 75,000 and 275,000 birds per year.

Obviously, solar panels have to be manufactured. These panels have varying life cycles, and producing them utilizes a wide variety of heavy metals including lead, mercury, cadmium and nitrogen trifluoride (NF3) which scientists have claimed is 17,000 times worse than CO2.

My point is that no matter what the technology/source/origin - there will always be negatives.
Hydrogen/Electric has all the potential to provide the world with transportation energy.

Do you really think someone has counted how many birds are killed by turbines? I mean, look at the statsistic you provided. That's a rediculous range, it's meaningless.

At least with those heavy metals we have a better chance at sequestering and recycling them. The sequestering of CO2 has proven to be cost/energy prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Well, if you want to talk pure economics, then yeah, let's keep on the fossil fuel path, because that's what's making the most money right now. Do you really think one of the most powerful industries in the world is going to make any meaningful investment into technologies that'll essentially be free once the infrastructure is built. Show me the money, Fuck The Earth!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #26
golfinz
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 335

I think the parties involved with the accident should pay for all the damages, including lost wages
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #27
lkw15
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
2015 M3  [5.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [4.67]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Transmission, oh yeah, that would take an actual investment in our grid's infrastructure. God-forbid. It's not like we don't know how to build power lines. Plus, you need to look into this: http://rael.berkeley.edu/node/248

The technology is there, it just needs funding.

Storage: let's see: The hydrogen battery - http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...-solar-energy/

and the vanadium battery: http://discovermagazine.com/2008/oct...ergy%20storage

But again, guess what, no funding. But yeah, let's spend BILLIONS on fossil fuels!

Hydrogen/Electric has all the potential to provide the world with transportation energy.

Do you really think someone has counted how many birds are killed by turbines? I mean, look at the statsistic you provided. That's a rediculous range, it's meaningless.

At least with those heavy metals we have a better chance at sequestering and recycling them. The sequestering of CO2 has proven to be cost/energy prohibitive.

Well, if you want to talk pure economics, then yeah, let's keep on the fossil fuel path, because that's what's making the most money right now. Do you really think one of the most powerful industries in the world is going to make any meaningful investment into technologies that'll essentially be free once the infrastructure is built. Show me the money, Fuck The Earth!
The point is that every method of developing energy is going to have downsides. Period.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #28
jayson
Life's too short for chess
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 128i 6speed

So... another week gone by. This is starting to get really bad, and no solution in sight.
      05-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #29
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson View Post
So... another week gone by. This is starting to get really bad, and no solution in sight.
Yeah, this sucks. Two days before it happened my father and I just got the boat de-winterized and geared for our first offshore fishing trip of the year. We have a camp in Grand Isle, LA and it looks like the oil is moving in on Grand Isle and Fourchon thanks to strong tides and a steady southwest wind.

The new plan will combat the oil spilling into the gulf on three fronts: the subsea, the surface, and the shore.

At the subsea level, efforts will be geared towards stopping the leak by physical containment using a smaller container, which will be placed over the leak point. The dome, which is connected by drill pipes and riser lines to a drill ship on the surface, will collect oil for removal and treatment. The smaller size of the dome will combat hydrate build up and make sure that the problems with the larger dome will not occur again. They will be able to keep it warm by pumping warm water over it. The hydrate crystals blocking the larger containment device form in cold temperatures.

The placement of the smaller dome is by no means fool proof. The work that is being done to combat the oil spill is like doing heart surgery at 5,000 feet. The depth of the well, and the lack of experience with handling technologies at such depths has been a larger dilemma than BP first expected.

The smaller dome will be supplemented with the drilling of two relief wells, which should ultimately be successful. We will see...hope for the best!

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #30
Topless 335i
Captain
Armenia
Rep

Drives: AW E93 335i

It's alright. The whale populations are growing out of control anyway.
Appreciate 0