BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GTB Performance

05-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
HoustonScott
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue

President calls US citizens "tea baggers"

Anyone think this what a President should be doing. Do you know what a "tea bagger" is? This guy is a pig....

HS
      05-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
That is what these folks called themselves to start with. They reap what they sew.
      05-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
HoustonScott
Lieutenant

Your wrong as wrong as can be, Anderson Cooper said it on CNN first and he knows what a "tea bagger" is he is a true "tea bagger". The movement never called themselves tea baggers. Get your facts straight....

HS
      05-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
twoturboz
Captain

Drives: fast

link?
      05-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough

Drives: VF

I'd rather be the tea bagger than the tea bagged....
      05-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Teabaggers are rational, intelligent, and accepting people.

05-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Teabaggers are rational, intelligent, and accepting people.

And we can also post up the videos of the idiots who supported McCain's positions when the interviewer presented those same exact positions as Obama's. Easy to edit out all the reasonable people and just leave the extremists. Both sides are clearly guilty of that tactic......

But Obama should not be referring to members of the Tea Party as "tea-baggers." That would be like Bush using terms like Demoncrats, Democraps, Dummycrats. Or Clinton or Obama using terms like Repugnecans, Republican'ts, Retardicans, or whatever else you come up with. I expect these kinds of things from the talk show idiots (Olbermann, Matthews, Maddow, Limbaugh, etc.), but not from the President of the United States.
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      05-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
sym16

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonScott View Post
Anyone think this what a President should be doing. Do you know what a "tea bagger" is? This guy is a pig....

HS
oink oink - i guess he can call the US CItizens whatever he wants since hie is NOT one of them.
      05-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
radix
there's something different about him

Drives: -

Quote:
Your wrong as wrong as can be, Anderson Cooper said it on CNN first and he knows what a "tea bagger" is he is a true "tea bagger". The movement never called themselves tea baggers. Get your facts straight....

HS
Wrong.

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/articl...U2MzFiOWJmNDE=

Quote:
First, a little history. After Barack Obama was sworn in as president, with his big majorities in Congress, the Democrats launched quite a bit of federal spending: particularly with the “stimulus” package. Some Americans were determined to counter this. And, before you knew it, we had the “tea party” movement. What protesters were doing, of course, was invoking the spirit of the American Revolutionaries, and their Boston Tea Party. According to the website of the Tea Party Patriots, the movement is committed to three “core values”: fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and free markets.

The first big day for this movement was Tax Day, April 15. And organizers had a gimmick. They asked people to send a tea bag to the Oval Office. One of the exhortations was “Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.” A protester was spotted with a sign saying, “Tea Bag the Liberal Dems Before They Tea Bag You.” So, conservatives started it: started with this terminology. But others ran with it and ran with it.
Please note that the NR is a conservative magazine:

https://www.nationalreview.com/subscribe/gift.p

Quote:
Do you have a friend, co-worker, or loved one who needs a bi-weeklydose of intelligent and thoughtful conservative commentary? Send that special someone 24 issues of National Review, at our special half-price rate of $29.50. (Note: When that first issue arrives in the mail, you get all the credit.) Just follow the simple 3-step process below, and we'll do the rest.
More evidence here:

http://www.reteaparty.com/2009/02/27...ago-tea-party/

and here:

http://www.reteaparty.com/2009/03/19...in-washington/

So there you have it, a magazine devoted to intelligent and thoughtful conservative commentary admits that not only did the conservative group in question call themselves teabaggers, but that they started the "teabagger" phrase. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it.

Last edited by radix; 05-09-2010 at 03:00 AM.
radix is offline   Philippines
      05-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
scollins

Quote:

HS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Actually, that article seems to support HoustonScott's position better than the contrary....

ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
      05-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
radix

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Actually, that article seems to support HoustonScott's position better than the contrary....

It doesn't support HS's premise at all. You must have missed the quote in the article:

Quote:
So, conservatives started it: started with this terminology.
and

Quote:
They asked people to send a tea bag to the Oval Office. One of the exhortations was “Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.” A protester was spotted with a sign saying, “Tea Bag the Liberal Dems Before They Tea Bag You.”
It's pretty clear that "tea bag" here is being used as a verb.
      05-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
scollins

Quote:
It doesn't support HS's premise at all. You must have missed the quote in the article
I don't see anywhere in that article where they call themselves "teabaggers". I see where they say to send in tea bags, and to "Tea Bag them before they Tea Bag you", but I fail to find a single reference where the movement calls themselves "teabaggers." They use "tea bag" as a verb, whereas "teabaggers" is used as a derogatory noun.
      05-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
HoustonScott
Lieutenant

Sounds like we are all in agreement then, he is pig. Not one person disagrees....

HS
      05-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
radix

Quote:
I don't see anywhere in that article where they call themselves "teabaggers". I see where they say to send in tea bags, and to "Tea Bag them before they Tea Bag you", but I fail to find a single reference where the movement calls themselves "teabaggers." They use "tea bag" as a verb, whereas "teabaggers" is used as a derogatory noun.
Someone who runs is a runner. Someone who swims is a swimmer. Someone who reads is a reader. Someone who "tea bags"... you get the idea. Anyhow, the author said it was conservatives who started the term.

Quote:
So, conservatives started it: started with this terminology.
      05-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
Spartikus
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Someone who runs is a runner. Someone who swims is a swimmer. Someone who reads is a reader. Someone who "tea bags"... you get the idea. Anyhow, the author said it was conservatives who started the term.

05-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
scollins

I disagree that the Tea Party ever used the term "teabagger" to describe themselves. That is a creation of the liberal media as a derogatory term to describe members of the Tea Party. Who uses the term? Those that wish to put down people who associate with the Tea Party. I don't believe that Rush, Beck, Hannity or the other conservative talk-types use the term, only the liberal leaning ones.

Oh, and your little "one who runs is a runner, etc." is awfully cute. Is someone who plays soccer a soccerer? Is a kid who plays at recess called a "player"?

In any case, many of those in the Tea Party (which I'm not) don't like to be called "teabaggers", they find it offensive. And as this country is so damn worried about being offensive to anyone these days, it should be inappropriate. Oh wait, we are only sensitive to anyone other than white conservatives.... Sorry, I keep forgetting to read my Liberal's Handbook....
      05-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #17
radix

Quote:
I disagree that the Tea Party ever used the term "teabagger" to describe themselves. That is a creation of the liberal media as a derogatory term to describe members of the Tea Party. Who uses the term? Those that wish to put down people who associate with the Tea Party. I don't believe that Rush, Beck, Hannity or the other conservative talk-types use the term, only the liberal leaning ones.

Then explain exactly what you think this means:

Quote:
Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.
OK, I can sort of understand this one... they were going to send tea bags to the white house...

Quote:
Tea Bag the Liberal Dems Before They Tea Bag You.

but this one? I don't really think they expected to send tea bags to all the liberal dems, nor do I think they expected the liberal dems to send them one. Therefore this sign must have a different meaning.

This was the sign the author referred to in the article I posted:

Note the freerepublic.com on the sign. The sign was displayed at a protest *before* Anderson Cooper used the term. What exactly do you think this sign was intended to mean? I mean, here's the sign again in an article dated 02/27/09.

http://washingtonindependent.com/318...ican-tea-party

Coopers comment was made on 04/15/09.

Here's are some comments made on freerepublic.com before the protest, and before Cooper's comment (remember what was on the sign?):

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2191554/posts

Quote:
Barney Fwand would probably enjoy getting teabagged.

posted on Sun Feb 22 2009 16:42:02 GMT-0600 (CST)
He's referring to Barney Frank, the gay Democratic senator. Similar comment, same page, different author.

Quote:
The private part of the official Barney “banking queen” Frank teabagging hosted by B Hussein Obama will take place at a place to be determined by Mr Frank when he can find a suitable place....preferably in a rented space of his home

20 posted on Sun Feb 22 2009 16:42:51 GMT-0600 (CST)

You can't say they weren't warned:

http://www.bobcesca.com/blog-archive...g_the_whi.html

Note that his aired after the sign displayed at the protest, but before Cooper's comment.
      05-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
radix

Quote:
Oh, and your little "one who runs is a runner, etc." is awfully cute. Is someone who plays soccer a soccerer? Is a kid who plays at recess called a "player"?
Actually, it's you that is being "cute" here. In the case of the person who plays soccer, the verb is play. So that person would be a soccer player. As for the kid, yes he would be a player, as he is the one who is playing, or played while at recess depending on tense. The point, as I'm sure you already know, is that in the english language we usually use "er" to indicate the person performing the action of verb. Therefore, someone who "teabag(s) the liberal dems" would be the teabagger.

Last edited by radix; 05-09-2010 at 11:59 PM.
      05-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
scollins

Ok, those that sent tea bags way back in 2009 are "teabaggers", but are they still sending tea bags? Is that all they stand for and all they do now? No? So should we continue to label them that way? Or is it a convenient term of derision meant to belittle them and mock their positions?

Regardless of the origins, I think you have to agree that it isn't used in a complimentary manner? As such, politicians shouldn't be using the term. Clearly Gibbs feels that way, since he wouldn't even touch the question at a recent press conference. If he is embarressed for himself or the president by using the term, I'd say that is a pretty clear sign.