BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
signes
43
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,213
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
One trick is to buy it just before the original plan expires, not when you buy your car.
Agreed, this is what most people do. On the other hand, the price might be higher but it should be a better tradeoff to wait.
signes is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
Georgeair
7
Captain
 
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: McKinney, TX

Posts: 757
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Agreed, this is what most people do. On the other hand, the price might be higher but it should be a better tradeoff to wait.
Other than investment return in interim, why would this be given the (apparent) good pricing offered here? Unless there is always a source for comparably good pricing later.

Yep - not a great first post, but didn't see the "planned to seriously consider this car in a year and was sucked into a good deal Friday on a day's notice" thread..... I've been lurking here off and on for a while, but happily have a reason to jump in now!
Georgeair is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #25
Kobaiyashi
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
Other than investment return in interim, why would this be given the (apparent) good pricing offered here? Unless there is always a source for comparably good pricing later.

Yep - not a great first post, but didn't see the "planned to seriously consider this car in a year and was sucked into a good deal Friday on a day's notice" thread..... I've been lurking here off and on for a while, but happily have a reason to jump in now!
Congrats on the car and the first post!
__________________
Kobaiyashi is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
Sedan_Clan
109
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,920
iTrader: (25)

*subscribed*
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #27
duk
29
///M
 
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 2,961
iTrader: (0)

is this offer still valid?
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

duk is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #28
FruitCake
16
Banned
 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (19)

Isn't it more expensive to wait until you're at 49k to buy it than at 4.9k?
FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #29
elp_jc
49
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Paying $1,700 for a 2-yr extended maintenance plan is absolutely crazy. First of all, remember to read the fine print; I bet many things people assume they'd get are excluded. And second, even if it didn't, you can change rotors and pads yourself for way less. You'd have to drive the M3 to the ground to make up for it in oil and filter changes.

I'm paying my service now, and it's basically 2 oil changes a year, and an air filter (and maybe HVAC ones too) for my 4K miles per year. And that'd be the same if I was driving the car 15K per year too, since 'mid' oil changes are not covered by any maintenance program. So unless you need brakes, you're looking at basically $300 to drive your car 30K miles in 2 years. And even if you need brakes, they're not going to cost $1,400, especially if you change them yourself (like most of us would do). To each his own though.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
Epacy2
12
Major
 
Drives: M3/X5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: KC

Posts: 1,254
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
All of you are forgetting about spark plug changes. Which I just had done today. Today's 30k mile service cost ~$1100. This was on a manual which included tranny fluid change. If I can get the maintenance plan for $1700, I will darn site take it since I will get two more big 30k interval service changes out of it. Not to mention brakes, which would up the dollar amount even more.
__________________
Epacy2 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #31
GregW / Oregon
76
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,608
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Extended service plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Paying $1,700 for a 2-yr extended maintenance plan is absolutely crazy. First of all, remember to read the fine print; I bet many things people assume they'd get are excluded. And second, even if it didn't, you can change rotors and pads yourself for way less. You'd have to drive the M3 to the ground to make up for it in oil and filter changes.

I'm paying my service now, and it's basically 2 oil changes a year, and an air filter (and maybe HVAC ones too) for my 4K miles per year. And that'd be the same if I was driving the car 15K per year too, since 'mid' oil changes are not covered by any maintenance program. So unless you need brakes, you're looking at basically $300 to drive your car 30K miles in 2 years. And even if you need brakes, they're not going to cost $1,400, especially if you change them yourself (like most of us would do). To each his own though.
I generally agree with you. There would perhaps be a major service in there, though with self-adjusting valves now, the price is not as high as on the E46. If you could predict that, brakes and a new clutch would fall within the extended period, then it would be worth it.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #32
FruitCake
16
Banned
 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (19)

wait wait wait, the maintenance on the E92 is lower than E46?
FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #33
GregW / Oregon
76
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,608
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
E92 vs E46 M3 service cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
wait wait wait, the maintenance on the E92 is lower than E46?
The lack of valve adjustments every 30k(?) is where the savings are. These run hundreds of dollars. I don't have comparisons on overall maintenance, but it should be less, even with the two more cylinders.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #34
elp_jc
49
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
If you could predict that, brakes and a new clutch would fall within the extended period, then it would be worth it.
According to my dealer, clutch is NOT included on either factory or extended plan. Brakes are on factory plan, but don't know about extended. The good news is rotors last a lot longer on our M3s than other BMWs. Remember my E46 needing rotors at 20K miles; ridiculous. Even rotors are an easy DIY, but they should last at least 50K miles of regular driving (not track time at all), right? And pads at least close to that, I'd assume. We'll see. Again, with DIY and relatively affordable prices with Tischer, I'm not worried. In fact, I'm paying for my own maintenance since now . Prefer that than dealing with only local dealer. Take care.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #35
westend117
0
A Priori
 
westend117's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas City

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
According to my dealer, clutch is NOT included on either factory or extended plan. Brakes are on factory plan, but don't know about extended. The good news is rotors last a lot longer on our M3s than other BMWs. Remember my E46 needing rotors at 20K miles; ridiculous. Even rotors are an easy DIY, but they should last at least 50K miles of regular driving (not track time at all), right? And pads at least close to that, I'd assume. We'll see. Again, with DIY and relatively affordable prices with Tischer, I'm not worried. In fact, I'm paying for my own maintenance since now . Prefer that than dealing with only local dealer. Take care.
Yes, it does seem to come down a 'brake' numbers game. If you'll need them done in the ensuing two years do it--if not, do not.
westend117 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #36
GregW / Oregon
76
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,608
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Clutches covered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
According to my dealer, clutch is NOT included on either factory or extended plan. Brakes are on factory plan, but don't know about extended. The good news is rotors last a lot longer on our M3s than other BMWs. Remember my E46 needing rotors at 20K miles; ridiculous. Even rotors are an easy DIY, but they should last at least 50K miles of regular driving (not track time at all), right? And pads at least close to that, I'd assume. We'll see. Again, with DIY and relatively affordable prices with Tischer, I'm not worried. In fact, I'm paying for my own maintenance since now . Prefer that than dealing with only local dealer. Take care.
According to this the clutch disc is covered on both the standard and optional extended plan "on applicable models only". It is my understanding that they are covered on the M3. I have a priority email into BMWNA to check.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceprogram.aspx
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #37
Georgeair
7
Captain
 
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: McKinney, TX

Posts: 757
iTrader: (2)

I keep opening this hoping for someone having a dealer who is really dealing on these, or better yet the extended warranty plans. Or that one will PM me with a smoking 50% off deal.......

Personally, I'm less worried about the maintenance since I can pretty well estimate it, and do brakes myself for so much less even with OEM parts, to make it n/a for me.

The warranty is a much bigger unknown for those of us planning to keep well beyond initial warranty period.
__________________
Objects in mirror are slower than they appear.
Georgeair is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
riyatch
4
Lieutenant
 
riyatch's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vegas

Posts: 470
iTrader: (1)

any chance of getting a good deal on the Extended Warranty?
riyatch is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #39
alpineweissM3
6
I love my beautiful wife!
 
Drives: e90 ///M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
I keep opening this hoping for someone having a dealer who is really dealing on these, or better yet the extended warranty plans. Or that one will PM me with a smoking 50% off deal.......

Personally, I'm less worried about the maintenance since I can pretty well estimate it, and do brakes myself for so much less even with OEM parts, to make it n/a for me.

The warranty is a much bigger unknown for those of us planning to keep well beyond initial warranty period.
I'm with you.

There has to be a dealer sponsor that can cut the forum members a deal.......
alpineweissM3 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #40
Georgeair
7
Captain
 
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: McKinney, TX

Posts: 757
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
I'm with you.

There has to be a dealer sponsor that can cut the forum members a deal.......
Agreed. If a FAD can get me 30% off a watch, why can't I get the same deal on something harder to sell and with (presumably) less restrictions like this? Even a subtle hint from one would have me dialing for dollars!
__________________
Objects in mirror are slower than they appear.
Georgeair is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #41
duk
29
///M
 
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 2,961
iTrader: (0)

ya someone pm me the info pls
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

duk is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #42
GregW / Oregon
76
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,608
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Update on cltuch coverage in maintenance plan

From my SA; sounds correct:

"It is a gray area. If we can find a component problem with the clutch i.e. pressure plate broken or weak, we can usually cover it. If the disc is just worn or shows signs of overheating (abuse), we usually have to call the BMW area manager for approval."
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #43
alpineweissM3
6
I love my beautiful wife!
 
Drives: e90 ///M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone had any luck getting the extended maintenace discounted? I sent the OP a msg a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard anything.
alpineweissM3 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #44
druheezy
0
Peon and General Shoveabout
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 80
iTrader: (2)

Are we still able to get this pricing for the Extended Maintenance? Went to a dealership today and they quoted $3295 as a "Special Price" (down from $3995). I am at 40K and do about 10-12K annually. I need to decide within the next 9K...

BMW doesn't specify it but clutch is covered one-time during the Extended Maintenance Plan.

I am interested in a great price!
druheezy is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST