BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source

04-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
turb934
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

They were quick around the Salzburgring & didn't feel like a tank but you are right about weighing too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Go give your head a shake!Do you realize what you just said?

Nice truck?Yes but give me the one with the diesel and I would be more than happy as that makes sense for these times.If I am going to have something with over 500horse it better weigh less than 4000 lbs and be a vehicle that is real M not a tank wearing a M badge.Trucks serve a useful purpose but to go fast I will do it a proper performance car!
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
turb934 is offline   Canada
      04-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
They were quick around the Salzburgring & didn't feel like a tank but you are right about weighing too much
+1

Exactly, its not like the Cayenne, ML63, or a Jeep SRT8.

It feels very agile, and handles amazingly for such a heavy SUV/SAV!

The AWD & the M differential in the X6M does wonders when taking those same corners with my M3!
(I can feel confident taking them at almost the same speeds as my M!)

Quote:
Go give your head a shake!Do you realize what you just said?

Nice truck?Yes but give me the one with the diesel and I would be more than happy as that makes sense for these times.If I am going to have something with over 500horse it better weigh less than 4000 lbs and be a vehicle that is real M not a tank wearing a M badge.Trucks serve a useful purpose but to go fast I will do it a proper performance car!

I know what you mean by heavy, but for what it is in its segment nothing and I mean nothing comes close!!!
(drive one you may have a change of heart )
M3 vert is offline   United Kingdom
      04-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #25
Fanta
C

Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera & C320

I test drove a X5M. It is a fast deluxe truck.
I almost buy it,
problem was my wife "Do you need such a big and heavy truck as a daily winter car?"

PS: The distance range meter drop faster than its' speed up. I can see the fuel gauge move.
Fanta is offline   Canada
      04-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #26
turb934
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

Did experience a spongy pedal around the Salzburbring. Now if it weighed less I am it would the pedal feel would have been a lot better
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
turb934 is offline   Canada
      04-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #27
Gearhead999s
Major General

Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
+1

I know what you mean by heavy, but for what it is in its segment nothing and I mean nothing comes close!!!
(drive one you may have a change of heart )
Well that complete segment makes no sense!Porky trucks with tons of horsepower that go quick and burn tons of fuel and cannot tow anything of any real size.The X5M & X6m are a real joke and real embarassment to any "true" M series enthusiast.If i want a all wheel drive vehicle that goes quick there are lots of other good choices out there that are a heck of lot more usefull.
It is`a shame as the Normal X5 & X6 are very good vehicles with reasonable cost.
      04-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
AMOCHOSTO
Major

Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:
Well that complete segment makes no sense!Porky trucks with tons of horsepower that go quick and burn tons of fuel and cannot tow anything of any real size.The X5M & X6m are a real joke and real embarassment to any "true" M series enthusiast.If i want a all wheel drive vehicle that goes quick there are lots of other good choices out there that are a heck of lot more usefull.
It is`a shame as the Normal X5 & X6 are very good vehicles with reasonable cost.
I'm not a big truck/suv guy, but the X5M/X6M's are vehicles I'd like to test drive.

I agree though, I can't say I'd own one if I needed a truck for some reason.

AMOCHOSTO is offline   Canada
      04-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #29
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.

Quote:
Which SUV doesnt burn gas?

They all have boxy like structures and arent capable of being fuel efficient!

Although, one should ask themselves what utility you want from a truck and whether you have other vehicles in the household.

I think the X5/X6 are capable of towing, and I am most certain that there M versions will be more then capable if the standard ones are

Secondly, The real embarasment part I could agree somewhat, but considering the competition is offering them?
Who thought porsche, the company you worship and makes amazing cars like the GT3!, would ever consider making a SUV

Finally, in terms of price, the X5/X6M are bargains when you consider the pricing!
I'll give you an example:
The X6 50i starts at $81,000 which is not as fully loaded as the M version which starts at $99,000.
When you start looking at the options and packages standard on the M vs the 50i, after all is set and done the difference is in the range of $10,000-$13,000!

I would honestly think to myself, if I am already spending in that range, whats another $10,000-$13,000 when I am getting the following:

1. A M-truck (with all the good stuff, M diff, DPCC, Torque Vectoring etc.)
2. 555 ponies! 500lbft torque!
3. Fastest SUV/SAV that money can buy today!
4. Excellent Performance and Handling on par with most sports cars (I had one for a few days and fully attest to the X6M's capabilities, its like no SUV I have ever driven!)
5. 0-60mph of 4.0s! and 1/4miles in the low 12s

I think its a no brainer duncan
M3 vert is offline   United Kingdom
      04-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #30
Gearhead999s
Major General

Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Which SUV doesnt burn gas?

They all have boxy like structures and arent capable of being fuel efficient!

Although, one should ask themselves what utility you want from a truck and whether you have other vehicles in the household.

I think the X5/X6 are capable of towing, and I am most certain that there M versions will be more then capable if the standard ones are

Secondly, The real embarasment part I could agree somewhat, but considering the competition is offering them?
Who thought porsche, the company you worship and makes amazing cars like the GT3!, would ever consider making a SUV

Finally, in terms of price, the X5/X6M are bargains when you consider the pricing!
I'll give you an example:
The X6 50i starts at $81,000 which is not as fully loaded as the M version which starts at $99,000.
When you start looking at the options and packages standard on the M vs the 50i, after all is set and done the difference is in the range of $10,000-$13,000!

I would honestly think to myself, if I am already spending in that range, whats another $10,000-$13,000 when I am getting the following:

1. A M-truck (with all the good stuff, M diff, DPCC, Torque Vectoring etc.)
2. 555 ponies! 500lbft torque!
3. Fastest SUV/SAV that money can buy today!
4. Excellent Performance and Handling on par with most sports cars (I had one for a few days and fully attest to the X6M's capabilities, its like no SUV I have ever driven!)
5. 0-60mph of 4.0s! and 1/4miles in the low 12s

I think its a no brainer duncan
The X m's do not have a published towing weight in our vehicle guides(Autoquote)which mean they are not approved for towing which is odd when you consider that the normal X5's are rated for 2722kgs(6000lbs) which means at least you could haul a race car on an open trailer behind one.For example my work F150 is rated for 11300 lbs with its HD TT pck.Even a Cayenne Turbo S is rated for 3500 kg (7700 lbs).That makes the XM's useless for anybody that actually uses them as a truck which is the only reason to own these things.
Anything can go fast in a straight line if you through enough engine at it,but there is no way an Xm could be considered to handle like a "sportscar" as that is impossiable with the sheer mass of these things.Yes on constant radius corners it might show great numbers but show a few transiat changes and see how far it falls behind a proper drivers car!
Yes impresive for a SUV but besides going fast in a straight line and not being able to tow,I cant find very much redeeming in the XM's but I would have a normal X5 probally with the diesel as least it gets decent fuel milege and is very seemless in normal operation and would tow its 6000lb limit quite well.We had a ML320 cdi around here that my boss drove and he averaged 9.5l/100kms including towing his 2 place sled trailer.I average 18l/100 with my F150 in the same use.I wish they offered these smaller diesels in the pickups where they would make a lot of sense.
      04-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #31
darkseid2k
Private First Class

Drives: '10 E71, '11 E92

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Speaking from the X6 perspective, it is a niche car; the majority of car enthusiasts would not want to consider having an SUV (or SAC as BMW brands it) in the same breath which I understand. However, once you drive the vehicle, it's easily evident it handles better than you'd think. I was pleasantly surprised coming from an M3. On my test drive, I was scared shitless when my SA pushed it around a corner close to 100kph - I thought the car would roll, that was with the X6 35i.

The X6M is another story - I drove that much harder and it's truly an amazing vehicle, you have no sense of it lacking power or handling capabilities at anytime - that might be the problem with it - it doesn't really put a foot wrong so you're always comfortable. I can see it doing well on a track, albeit it'll rip through a tank of gas much worse than the M3 does.

I think these vehicles should be taken for what they car - fancy toys, they're not meant to replace a track car like the M3. The X6 seats 4, has bad blindspots and possibly won't tow anything in it's life (I don't tow with mine) but hey, it's a fun, comfortable and fast vehicle - that's enough for me.. and I think it's one of the better looking vehicles on the road.
darkseid2k is offline   Canada