BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

INDustry distribution

03-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

ESS - DCT & ECU Tune Review

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to meet Roman and AJ down here in Orange County at an M-Fest event, where Roman and AJ tuned my car via their ECU and DCT software. The timing worked great because unlike the ECU tune, the DCT tune must be done with the car present. Roman and AJ are awesome guys. Here's my review.

ECU - The car pulls extremely smooth through each and every rpm range with a pick-up in power I can notice. The lag associated with the DCT cars at very low speeds is 95% gone, or atleast 5x better than stock. This is a little hard to explain but in regular drive mode, when you WOT, it doesn't exhibit that very brief "delay" or "lag" during the time the rpm's are quickly blasting up to redline. Rather now when I WOT the car, the rpm's immediately come towards the redline. It's pretty freaking cool. The drivability is improved as the car just feels smoother driving around.

The DCT tune is equally impressive. The downshifts are even quiker (if you can even believe that) and feel very crisp. Not sure on the upshifts as I have to test this more. In my M mode I can downshift from 3rd to 2nd and I can very clearly 'hear' the car downshift even faster than the display tach number "3" changes to "2" (Like if I'm downshifting from 3rd to 2nd) - It's that great. And I can say with 100% confidence this was not the case before.

My only other mods are a BMC air filter and Akra evo system, which I had them make sure my CEL doesn't pop on for 02 sensor related purposes. All in all I'm extremely happy with everything. The more miles I'd put on the car the more responsive it felt. Roman told me that by around 100 miles or so the ECU should fully adapt itself, and I think I'm almost about there.

I forgot to ask Roman if my top speed limited was removed, but I think it is. my redline is now 8,500rpm's. Thanks again Roman and AJ for making me one extremely happy and satisfied ESS customer
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

nice...congrats on the new mods
BW C13 - 1:53:7
E92 M3 ZCP
KW CS w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2
APR Wing/Rs3 - WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Glad you're happy with your latest mod.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Roman@ESS
Rep

Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
This past weekend I was fortunate enough to meet Roman and AJ down here in Orange County at an M-Fest event, where Roman and AJ tuned my car via their ECU and DCT software. The timing worked great because unlike the ECU tune, the DCT tune must be done with the car present. Roman and AJ are awesome guys. Here's my review.

ECU - The car pulls extremely smooth through each and every rpm range with a pick-up in power I can notice. The lag associated with the DCT cars at very low speeds is 95% gone, or atleast 5x better than stock. This is a little hard to explain but in regular drive mode, when you WOT, it doesn't exhibit that very brief "delay" or "lag" during the time the rpm's are quickly blasting up to redline. Rather now when I WOT the car, the rpm's immediately come towards the redline. It's pretty freaking cool. The drivability is improved as the car just feels smoother driving around.

The DCT tune is equally impressive. The downshifts are even quiker (if you can even believe that) and feel very crisp. Not sure on the upshifts as I have to test this more. In my M mode I can downshift from 3rd to 2nd and I can very clearly 'hear' the car downshift even faster than the display tach number "3" changes to "2" (Like if I'm downshifting from 3rd to 2nd) - It's that great. And I can say with 100% confidence this was not the case before.

My only other mods are a BMC air filter and Akra evo system, which I had them make sure my CEL doesn't pop on for 02 sensor related purposes. All in all I'm extremely happy with everything. The more miles I'd put on the car the more responsive it felt. Roman told me that by around 100 miles or so the ECU should fully adapt itself, and I think I'm almost about there.

I forgot to ask Roman if my top speed limited was removed, but I think it is. my redline is now 8,500rpm's. Thanks again Roman and AJ for making me one extremely happy and satisfied ESS customer
It was really nice meeting you im glad you like your new software. Your top speed limit has been removed.

Next up is the supercharger
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep

Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Careful at 8500RPM, people have been bending valves.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
Rep

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

You shouldn't have touched the redline. The only way the dealer can see if you have a tune is if you exceed redline. Now that you have exceeded redline when they check to see if you have an tune ... well by then it's too late. Congrats

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #7
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
Careful at 8500RPM, people have been bending valves.
i have yet to hear about this...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
You shouldn't have touched the redline. The only way the dealer can see if you have a tune is if you exceed redline. Now that you have exceeded redline when they check to see if you have an tune ... well by then it's too late. Congrats
false...

the dealer will know, doesnt matter if his red line has been raised....and you are fine the SA wont say anything until something goes wrong and they have a reason to blame your aftermarket tune for problem caused...dont worry
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
biglare
United_States
Rep

Drives: ?

Congrats on the tune and DCT software upgrade! I was blown away at how much different the DCT acts compared to stock. The lag that we have all complained about is as close to being gone as possible IMO. I agree it is hard to put into words, but the lag is almost gone. Test out more of those upshifts at WOT and you will be even more impressed!

Enjoy the new mods and the extra rpms!
Appreciate 0