BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

**Official Golf Thread - Equipment - Tips - Recommendations**

Greetings,

With the warmer weather upon us, I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to be playing more golf.

Figured I'd start a thread for everyone who enjoys playing or watching. We can discuss tips to help improve our games, and reviews on equipment.

If it fails, oh well.

I just picked up some Taylormade Burner irons to replace my TM R7's.

Anyone have a good recommendation on a cart bag? The one I have is falling apart.

Thanks, hit 'em straight!
Attached Images
 
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
 
GreenPlease's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i e92
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orlando Florida

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (2)

All nike all the way here, granted two of my friends are on their staff and I get the stuff for free. Actually, three of my friends now that I think of it.

-prototype generation 4 tour head, diamana white shaft, 9.5 bent to 8.5, 44.5"
-generation 3 3wd, diamana white shaft, 15 bent to 14.
-prototype VR irons, tour grind, 0 offset, "standard" lofts and lies, X100 shafts
-prototype VR wedges, custom grind (did it myself). 56/14 bent to 54/12, 60/11 with a custom "C" grind. S300 shafts and a crap load of lead tape
-Nike "oven" putter. Don't know if it's on the shelves yet or not.
-Tour d ball

Honestly, I suck for equipment recommendations. I've been playing blades for so long now. Here's what I do know:

-Stay away from Mizuno. They lost their top engineers about three years ago.
-Roger Cleveland now works for Callaway. He's a legend in the industry. Their ball is pretty good.
-Bridgestone makes some really good stuff.
-TaylorMade, Bridgestone, and Nike clubs are all made in the same factory in Taiwan. TaylorMade has the lowest rejection rate which means they have shit quality control. I recently tried their penta ball, however, and was markedly impressed with it.
-Titleist isn't what it used to be.
-Ping's last generation of drivers looked and felt pretty good to me.
-When it comes to drivers, its all about the shaft, the heads are pretty much all the same, center of gravity aside. Finding the right shaft is a vudoo science, don't let anyone tell you differently. When looking for a shaft, find one that puts too little spin on the ball without dropping your ballspeed. Chances are, under the gun, your spin rate will go up.
-If you're going to get a new putter, make sure it is NOT facebalanced and make sure it has grooves.

I played at the junior, collegiate, and professional levels (not successfully professionally) so I have quite a bit of experience under my belt and I'd be more than happy to field anybody's questions.
__________________
Cars>Women
GreenPlease is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
AlexWK
New Member
 
Drives: X6 3.5
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

^ I was gonna pick up a set of MP-58's this season. I guess not? Tell me more about irons and the situation down at Mizuno?
Also, what's a face balanced putter?
AlexWK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
All nike all the way here, granted two of my friends are on their staff and I get the stuff for free. Actually, three of my friends now that I think of it.

-prototype generation 4 tour head, diamana white shaft, 9.5 bent to 8.5, 44.5"
-generation 3 3wd, diamana white shaft, 15 bent to 14.
-prototype VR irons, tour grind, 0 offset, "standard" lofts and lies, X100 shafts
-prototype VR wedges, custom grind (did it myself). 56/14 bent to 54/12, 60/11 with a custom "C" grind. S300 shafts and a crap load of lead tape
-Nike "oven" putter. Don't know if it's on the shelves yet or not.
-Tour d ball

Honestly, I suck for equipment recommendations. I've been playing blades for so long now. Here's what I do know:

-Stay away from Mizuno. They lost their top engineers about three years ago.
-Roger Cleveland now works for Callaway. He's a legend in the industry. Their ball is pretty good.
-Bridgestone makes some really good stuff.
-TaylorMade, Bridgestone, and Nike clubs are all made in the same factory in Taiwan. TaylorMade has the lowest rejection rate which means they have shit quality control. I recently tried their penta ball, however, and was markedly impressed with it.
-Titleist isn't what it used to be.
-Ping's last generation of drivers looked and felt pretty good to me.
-When it comes to drivers, its all about the shaft, the heads are pretty much all the same, center of gravity aside. Finding the right shaft is a vudoo science, don't let anyone tell you differently. When looking for a shaft, find one that puts too little spin on the ball without dropping your ballspeed. Chances are, under the gun, your spin rate will go up.
-If you're going to get a new putter, make sure it is NOT facebalanced and make sure it has grooves.

I played at the junior, collegiate, and professional levels (not successfully professionally) so I have quite a bit of experience under my belt and I'd be more than happy to field anybody's questions.

Wow, I don't know half the stuff you are talking about, but it sounds nice.

In my bag:

-Taylormade R7 Driver
-Taylormade 3 and 5 Wood
-Taylomade Burner Irons (Haven't had them fitted yet)
-Titleist Vokey 56 Degree Wedge
-Scotty Cameron Studio Putter
-Either Bridgestone E7 or Titleist ProV1x balls

I am in no way a collegiate or professional level player, I have a 16 handicap, but I do enjoy the game very much.
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
GOLFFRR's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

Posts: 15,062
iTrader: (4)

i have always and will always play titleist everything. For me there is nothing else that compares.
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Our Parts Store--> http://www.bmwpartspros.com
GOLFFRR is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
i have always and will always play titleist everything. For me there is nothing else that compares.
For some reason I took you for a Callaway type of guy... (sarcasm).
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
.
.
Buy used golf balls!

You save more money, so you can play more rounds or drink more beers.

Used Golf Balls


Just sayin'
.
.
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
.
.
Buy used golf balls!

You save more money, so you can play more rounds or drink more beers.

Used Golf Balls


Just sayin'
.
.

For used balls, those aren't quite as cheap as I thought they'd be.
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
What were you expecting them to cost?
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Let me break it down, reeeeeeeeeal propa-like, lol.

Titleist Pro V1 New: $45-$55 depending on where you buy.

Titleist Pro V1 Used: $12-$20 depending on grade

So if you buy New Pro V1s for $50/12, each unit has a price of $4.

The average golfer loses 5 balls per round, or 1 ball every 3-4 holes. 5 balls lost @ $4/ball = $20.

So if you buy Used Pro V1s for $20/12, each unit has a price of $1.70

5 balls lost @ $1.70/ball = $8.50

So you can lose $20 worth of balls per round or $8.50 - that's up to you!

Plus, each new ball is only hit with a driver probably twice before it's lost. (Not including wedges, irons or putters, but drivers and cart paths inflict the most damage) so if you make it through 3 holes with the same ball, you're playing with a used ball anyway.
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
 
scollins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 2,345
iTrader: (3)

Recommendation? Don't play golf!! The most aggravating game in the entire world.



But there is always that ONE stinkin' brilliant shot () per round that keeps you coming back for more misery.....
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
What were you expecting them to cost?


Well I just paid $50 for 3 Dozen Mint (reclaimed) ProV1x's, so something similar.
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTexan View Post
Well I just paid $50 for 3 Dozen Mint (reclaimed) ProV1x's, so something similar.
Where did you buy them? I'd like to pick some up too. Did they have any practice/x-outs/logo overruns?

I'd definitely like to pick some up!
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Where did you buy them? I'd like to pick some up too. Did they have any practice/x-outs/logo overruns?

I'd definitely like to pick some up!
http://www.knetgolf.com/
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTexan View Post
Could you give me the link to the mint pro v1x that are $16/dz.

I can't find them, it's probably right in front of my face, lol.

Thanks!
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #16
Peanuto
Private First Class
 
Peanuto's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

Montego...Seriously more self repping on the used balls... Can't blame you.

Callaway Diablo Driver and fairways
Callaway Big Bertha Irons 5-P
Cleveland 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron California putter

Titleist DT Carry
Peanuto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-MINT-AAAAA-TI...item563a29a5ef
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #18
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
Montego...Seriously more self repping on the used balls... Can't blame you.

Callaway Diablo Driver and fairways
Callaway Big Bertha Irons 5-P
Cleveland 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron California putter

Titleist DT Carry
What in great heaven are you talking about?
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
Peanuto
Private First Class
 
Peanuto's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
What in great heaven are you talking about?
It's overdue haha. I don't remember one since last summer. Unless I am incorrect with you making a lil on the side in the used golfball biz...
Peanuto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #20
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Oh EBAY, phooey!
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
 
MontegoGoGoGo's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego/Cream E93
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis & St. Petersburg

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
It's overdue haha. I don't remember one since last summer. Unless I am incorrect with you making a lil on the side in the used golfball biz...
No yeah, it was in my sig, but they made me take it down!
__________________
E93: Montego/Cream <---- E46 (Coupe): JB/Black <---- E30 (Cabrio): Alpine White/Black
MontegoGoGoGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
TTexan
Verizon Expert
 
Drives: 08 JB 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, Tx

Posts: 256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Oh EBAY, phooey!
Yeah, sorry didn't mean to downgrade the link you provided, was not my intention.
TTexan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST