BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

01-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Check engine light...Increased emissions...Stock car

I recently got a check engine light for increased emissions, I have a scanner but had let a friend borrow it. I got the scanner back today cleared the light and within 10 miles the light was back on. I have had cars before that had cat problems even when stock so Im wondering if thats a problem with the M too? I had the car at the track once and I guess by others standards you could say it gets a beating on the street too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Is ur car tuned? I can b very wrong, but the weather may have something to do with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by the///Mthree View Post
I recently got a check engine light for increased emissions, I have a scanner but had let a friend borrow it. I got the scanner back today cleared the light and within 10 miles the light was back on. I have had cars before that had cat problems even when stock so Im wondering if thats a problem with the M too? I had the car at the track once and I guess by others standards you could say it gets a beating on the street too.
Check to see what the code is and post it up, don't just clear it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Check to see what the code is and post it up, don't just clear it.
I didnt just clear it, but I forgot the code after I did so. Just checked again code 2626
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Is ur car tuned? I can b very wrong, but the weather may have something to do with this.
Nope its stock
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
I didnt just clear it, but I forgot the code after I did so. Just checked again code 2626
Are you sure that is the right code? I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere, but maybe it just isn't documented. The code should start with a 'P' also. Best to head to the dealer if no one else has any ideas and you are sure that is the DTC.

There are a bunch of codes here, but I don't know if this is necessarily complete. They also have manufacturer specific codes:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

BTW - A common reason for "increased emissions" is a loose gas cap.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
In my Master Technician's Engine Fault Code Book, that code refers to a faulty 02 sensor.

2626 = Heated oxygen sensor 1, bank 1, pumping current trim - open circuit

My diagnosis: Your 02 sensor's heater circuit has suffered a short, or the connection was broken somehow. (it's dead, so there is no signal voltage)

When one of your 02 sensors goes bad, it triggers a fault code (which results in a CEL or MIL light to pop up on the dash). If your technician checks the 02 sensor's heater circuit for voltage, and finds there is none...then your 02 sensor is defective. Bad 02 sensors cannot be repaired, so a replacement is your only option here.

Be advised that when your pre-cat O2 sensors go bad (and the ECU detects this condition), it will trigger an increase in emissions and fuel consumption by default. To protect the engine, nearly every ECU will bias the AFR's to a RICH condition by dumping more fuel into the cylinders. (to avoid any damage to the power plant)

My advice: Take the car in (to the dealer or local shop) and have the pre-cat oxygen sensor in Bank 1 replaced asap.

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 01-05-2010 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep

When I cleared the light last night it came back pretty fast, didnt notice when. So this morning I dropped it off at the dealer, Well see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep

2 02 sensors replaced, light is now gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
2 02 sensors replaced, light is now gone.
Good deal.

Glad to see it all worked out.
      01-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
L-Altos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I got a check engine light for increased emissions two days ago. On my way to the dealer today i got the reduce power light as well. I mentioned the O2 sensors when I dropped off the car. I got a call from the SA saying that it was in fact the O2 sensors and that the reduced power light came on as a result of the engine detecting the rich condition of the AFR's.

Should have it back tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Center display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
In my Master Technician's Engine Fault Code Book, that code refers to a faulty 02 sensor.

2626 = Heated oxygen sensor 1, bank 1, pumping current trim - open circuit

My diagnosis: Your 02 sensor's heater circuit has suffered a short, or the connection was broken somehow. (it's dead, so there is no signal voltage)

When one of your 02 sensors goes bad, it triggers a fault code (which results in a CEL or MIL light to pop up on the dash). If your technician checks the 02 sensor's heater circuit for voltage, and finds there is none...then your 02 sensor is defective. Bad 02 sensors cannot be repaired, so a replacement is your only option here.

Be advised that when your pre-cat O2 sensors go bad (and the ECU detects this condition), it will trigger an increase in emissions and fuel consumption by default. To protect the engine, nearly every ECU will bias the AFR's to a RICH condition by dumping more fuel into the cylinders. (to avoid any damage to the power plant)

My advice: Take the car in (to the dealer or local shop) and have the pre-cat oxygen sensor in Bank 1 replaced asap.
Lemans Blue,

The center display fault codes? Can they be read by a manual like an increased emmisions warning? I'll get you the fault code tommorrow!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
L-Altos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Got the car back today, O2 sensor replaced, all is well with that problem.

As a side note, SA said I could get a “low mileage” oil change while the car was there.

Though that was pretty cool until I got home and read the invoice. They put 5W30 in...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...70#post6612470
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Why don't you just take it to the dealer. Is under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

I also had this problem - except that it took 5 visits to the dealership to fix it finally. Overall, it looks like they replaced 2 O2 sensors plus along the way the computer died so they had to replace that too. Good thing it was all covered under warranty.

Overall, because of back-ordered parts, I was out of my car for about 2 weeks. While I did get loaners, I think I lost about 20 hours from work going back and forth all those times.

To top it off, BMW refuses to compensate me in any way for my inconvenience, frustration and lost revenues.
      02-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
I also had this problem - except that it took 5 visits to the dealership to fix it finally.
That'd have been interesting out of warranty . That's what worried me; freaking cars are so complicated, and techs so used to letting the computer tell them what's wrong, nobody knows how to troubleshoot anymore. And unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we'd have to foot the bill for their ignorance, no?

Comments on that issue welcome since I plan to keep car after warranty, but if a $500 problem (already expensive) is going to turn into $2K (or worse) due to 'diagnostic charges', it's a scary proposition.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #17
Lady///M3
♥ ♥ ♥
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 AW E92 M3

The CEL and Increased Emissions message came on a few days ago for me. Not sure if anyone else's is the same but mine feels noticeably faster especially in the M mode, but gas mileage got worse.

Have an appointment to bring the car in tomorrow morning. Thanks for this thread! It was super helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
Lady///M3
♥ ♥ ♥
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
I also had this problem - except that it took 5 visits to the dealership to fix it finally. Overall, it looks like they replaced 2 O2 sensors plus along the way the computer died so they had to replace that too. Good thing it was all covered under warranty.

Overall, because of back-ordered parts, I was out of my car for about 2 weeks. While I did get loaners, I think I lost about 20 hours from work going back and forth all those times.

To top it off, BMW refuses to compensate me in any way for my inconvenience, frustration and lost revenues.

Could you tell me which dealership you went to? I will be dropping mine off to T+C BMW tomorrow.
Appreciate 0