BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #23
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
I agree about the software to run full akra set up, unfortunately here in the cold white north, it's not as easy as it is in the States....

Right now, I'm having some thoughts about my AA software...the o2 sensor delete, which I opted for does not eliminate my CEL at all...in both version of their software, the CEL would come on and go away after a few hundred KMs.... it's really weird....
Does the car ever shut off the power on the road like on the dyno? If so, perhaps there is something wrong with the ECU. I'm just thinking - advanced engine management with bad ECU could result in some weird behavior.

Did you call AA for their take?
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,255
iTrader: (12)

it's never shut down on me on the road..and to be honest it's nearly impossible to hit 8400 on the road here...you get your car impounded for 50km/h over ... I've spoke with my local authorized dealer..they are too busy and have to see the car...they're about an hour away from me ..so not easily drop-by-able...
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #25
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
it's never shut down on me on the road..and to be honest it's nearly impossible to hit 8400 on the road here...you get your car impounded for 50km/h over ... I've spoke with my local authorized dealer..they are too busy and have to see the car...they're about an hour away from me ..so not easily drop-by-able...
still have to try it out on HWY 7.... make a couple cruise by runs first .
I think its a good idea to get on the real road and see just what is going on.
After go get some nice chinese food around that area.
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #26
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,255
iTrader: (12)

haha i take hwy7 to york every day...problem is....it's still a test of luck and courage haha..
side note: my wheels should be here tomorrow! thanks eugene
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #27
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
haha i take hwy7 to york every day...problem is....it's still a test of luck and courage haha..
side note: my wheels should be here tomorrow! thanks eugene
Take some pictures for me Bro!!
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #28
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,255
iTrader: (12)

sorry to bu mp this but...i was just wondering how much snow tires could affect the dyno results...

i've read it does have certain negative effect, but wanna hear from a selected few experts on here
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #29
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

i would check that Techno intake as maybe the culprit as more then one have lost power on the dyno with it and others had fitment issues which could lead to power lose if there is a leak
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #30
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,255
iTrader: (12)

I'm not sure if we're on the same page for fitment issues..if you're referring to the chargepipe..it's fitting nice and snug with the electrical tape, i'm not really having fitment issues. ...if it did lose power(as that other thread suggests) ...add that 5whp gone(from his car)..im not where i expected to be...
i know i may hav some issues with the car, but I was just wondering how much snow tires could affect a dyno that's not calibrated for it
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

i would def do it again when you get the reg tires back on and it may be a pain in the ass but any mods then can come off easy i would dyno with them on and off then see whats up as it would give you more of an idea of where you lost it or gained power

if after you dyno with your reg summer tires and the number doesn't come up then i would start taking off the easy to take off mods and then dyno so you can see if it was a specific part for the lose or may actually be your car

i know there are freaks from the factory but the ones that are not usually aren't really low. i could only see that if something is wrong with your car

i can only really see it being a couple things

1- something wrong with the software not working correctly with your mods and the car
2- the intake system
3- something actually wrong with the car

i am no expert but that is just my honest opinon and i know it must suck not kowing what is causing more then the actual loss of power

when driving it do you feel it weaker then before your mods?? that might help to decide if something was wrong with the car when stock. have you driven in any other M3's to see if you feel like there more powerful?>? i would try to find some members in your area to see if you can drive there car and you guys swap and see if they feel a difference from theres and yours

hope it all works out

i never dynoed my car and i never drove another car so for all i know my car could be weak from the factory but i know every mod i added put on power bc my car is way more powerful now then it was stock. do you feel that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
I'm not sure if we're on the same page for fitment issues..if you're referring to the chargepipe..it's fitting nice and snug with the electrical tape, i'm not really having fitment issues. ...if it did lose power(as that other thread suggests) ...add that 5whp gone(from his car)..im not where i expected to be...
i know i may hav some issues with the car, but I was just wondering how much snow tires could affect a dyno that's not calibrated for it
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD

Last edited by H Bomb; 03-06-2010 at 09:06 PM.
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #32
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
So I dyno'd my car today...it's my first time dyno'd a car ever...it was done on a Dynojet ..while I know dyno's are easily manipulated, the guys I've dyno'd with said this particular dyno has always been a heartbreaker, but I find my number ridiculously low, although it wasn't at full rpm range

temp was ~57F @ 9:58am .... so best of 2 runs I got 340whp/259wtq@7800rpm... I was going to do a 3rd, but I had to rush to the airport so I cut it there...

There was a few issues, the engine wouldn't get over 7800rpm(2nd run) on either run...it just shut down, the guy said the DSC was interferring ... I'm not sure if DSC was fully off, the button was held till the light came on...I was also dyno'ing on 18" m5 rep winters(235/40/18 and 245/40/18 Hankook w300)

Edit: I also had all my DSC, ABS lights on after the runs, but they went away as soon as i got out of the plaza

dyno'd in 4th as I was told, just wondering if anyone dyno'd in 3rd gear..

mod list concerning dyno: full akrapovic, AA Software v1.5, technocraft envy system with BMW filter...Shell 91



Any insight is appreciated, thanks...
Holy Crap!

14.81 AFR @ 4000 rpms is very lean.

That AFR is not safe man...

Has this been addressed yet?
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #33
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

Lemans is that from his tune or something wrong with the car itself??
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #34
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Well, my ECU software is still stock but I'm watching closely AA since more than 3 years related to ECU power SW modding.

IMO it's a sad story. AA has not been able to provide a good 335i solution, they are on their 3rd piggyback hardware solution now, still flaws ( limping ) and never provided a flash for this car. Based on this alone I would never buy an ECU flash for my M3 from AA.

- GIAC provides pretty nice SW in general with huge testing involved, the O2 CEL should be managable with an external device.
- Dinan is always a little conservative, power-numbers they estimate will be there.
- EvoTech provides very good ECU SW as well.
- Powerchips is new to me, no personal experience with them, results look good so far.
- Evolve takes it very serious as well, I'll post results once my car will be flashed.

This list is not complete, I don't know about ESS and G-Power, however you will have to use their tunes when going FI. Hamann, Hartge, Noelle, Kelleners, LET and others are missing in my list as well, not many of us seem to use their ECU software.

Bottom line is ( for me ) that AA would never be my choice for the M3 e9x.

The e9x M3 is already pretty fine-tuned from M-Gmbh, not leaving much room for improvements, so take care you really get more power/tq AND matching quality & reliability by 3rd party SW.

You won't need a flash just to mitigate O2 CELs.

Good gains can be achieved with exhaust mods, we have enough examples for this on the forum. However, for the price of a Dinan charge pipe, a full Akrapovic and an ECU flash of your choice you can just bolt on the ESS stage I SC kit and in this case, the power will be there for sure. Plus, for US$ 12k you will get the intercooled SC versions from G-Power or ESS already. Where I live I'd have to go with G-Power thus I need a Swiss homologation ( they are working on this ) and it is not feasible to remove the SC kits for regular car / emission inspections. Might be different where you are living.

BTW, raising the rev-limiter will not be an option for me as well. Currently my only performance mod on my M3 will be a BMC air filter once it will arrive . Plus, I'm using the best pump gas I can get here ( 100 octane RON = ~95 octane AKI ). Today's ECU's adjust timing depending on the quality of the gas you use. They are adding timing until the ECU sees first signs of noise on the knock-sensors and corrects it. More timing = more power. This is also the reason why you get more power using race-gas.

Back to ECU flashes, we are talking about +15bhp in best case which you won't feel at all on a 420bhp car unless you combine it with bolt-ons.

My $0.02

Eugen
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #35
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

^^

interesting info and people have said that at one point AA was putting there sticker on the ECU and a few people got there warranty voided bc BMW saw it and flagged there cars. i don't know whos idea that was but they should be beaten with a stick for that one lol
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #36
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
^^

interesting info and people have said that at one point AA was putting there sticker on the ECU and a few people got there warranty voided bc BMW saw it and flagged there cars. i don't know whos idea that was but they should be beaten with a stick for that one lol
lol
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #37
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
^^

interesting info and people have said that at one point AA was putting there sticker on the ECU and a few people got there warranty voided bc BMW saw it and flagged there cars. i don't know whos idea that was but they should be beaten with a stick for that one lol
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #38
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Well, my ECU software is still stock but I'm watching closely AA since more than 3 years related to ECU power SW modding.

IMO it's a sad story. AA has not been able to provide a good 335i solution, they are on their 3rd piggyback hardware solution now, still flaws ( limping ) and never provided a flash for this car. Based on this alone I would never buy an ECU flash for my M3 from AA.

- GIAC provides pretty nice SW in general with huge testing involved, the O2 CEL should be managable with an external device.
- Dinan is always a little conservative, power-numbers they estimate will be there.
- EvoTech provides very good ECU SW as well.
- Powerchips is new to me, no personal experience with them, results look good so far.
- Evolve takes it very serious as well, I'll post results once my car will be flashed.

This list is not complete, I don't know about ESS and G-Power, however you will have to use their tunes when going FI. Hamann, Hartge, Noelle, Kelleners, LET and others are missing in my list as well, not many of us seem to use their ECU software.

Bottom line is ( for me ) that AA would never be my choice for the M3 e9x.

The e9x M3 is already pretty fine-tuned from M-Gmbh, not leaving much room for improvements, so take care you really get more power/tq AND matching quality & reliability by 3rd party SW.

You won't need a flash just to mitigate O2 CELs.

Good gains can be achieved with exhaust mods, we have enough examples for this on the forum. However, for the price of a Dinan charge pipe, a full Akrapovic and an ECU flash of your choice you can just bolt on the ESS stage I SC kit and in this case, the power will be there for sure. Plus, for US$ 12k you will get the intercooled SC versions from G-Power or ESS already. Where I live I'd have to go with G-Power thus I need a Swiss homologation ( they are working on this ) and it is not feasible to remove the SC kits for regular car / emission inspections. Might be different where you are living.

BTW, raising the rev-limiter will not be an option for me as well. Currently my only performance mod on my M3 will be a BMC air filter once it will arrive . Plus, I'm using the best pump gas I can get here ( 100 octane RON = ~95 octane AKI ). Today's ECU's adjust timing depending on the quality of the gas you use. They are adding timing until the ECU sees first signs of noise on the knock-sensors and corrects it. More timing = more power. This is also the reason why you get more power using race-gas.

Back to ECU flashes, we are talking about +15bhp in best case which you won't feel at all on a 420bhp car unless you combine it with bolt-ons.

My $0.02

Eugen
Nice summary Eugen!

LB I totally agree that AFR is nuts! My AFR at redline was around 12.6 with bolt ons and I made roughly 370whp on a DJ.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST