BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Joe C
Colonel
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (5)

Honest Power Bump Guesstimates?

Hi board as I am coming closer to ordering my m3 I am compiling a LONG list of mods to order or commit myself too. So I am asking for anyone's educated guesstimate on the power I plan to add to the car. Here goes the list after many long hours of research.

m3 dct

1 - Dinan flash
2 - Dinan pulley
3 - Gintani Race fully catless xpipe etc...
4 - (possibly) Dinan 3.62 gears I believe for the dct im still looking into this mod
5- Undecided airbox/intake Probably scoops and a drop in filter

With that list what are everyone's guestimattes of power bump compared to stock?


I will give my reasoning for each mod choice.

The dinan flash I am choosing for multiple reasons. One is the nice reassurance you get with them. Also why pay 900 for a flash then when BMW reflashes the system I have to go threw all that trouble of getting my (powerchip) flash back. I have seen it happen in the case of Dinan the dealer just gets a new email from Dinan and it gets re installed free of charge.

The Dinan pulley is another I want to keep my warranty per say

The Gintani Race I like the loud very loud and I like the black tips and how they fill the rear valance

The gears I want to add that low TQ but don't know the advantages to disadvantage. If someone could fill me in on that in detail I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance
__________________
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

08 e92 n54

Last edited by Joe C; 03-07-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Joe C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
Hi board as I am coming closer to ordering my m3 I am compiling a LONG list of mods to order or commit myself too. So I am asking for anyone's educated guesstimate on the power I plan to add to the car. Here goes the list after many long hours of research.

m3 dct

1 - Dinan flash
2 - Dinan pulley
3 - Gintani Race fully catless xpipe etc...
4 - (possibly) Dinan 4.10 gears I believe for the dct im still looking into this mod
5- Undecided airbox/intake

With that list what are everyone's guestimattes of power bump compared to stock?


I will give my reasoning for each mod choice.

The dinan flash I am choosing for multiple reasons. One is the nice reassurance you get with them. Also why pay 900 for a flash then when BMW reflashes the system I have to go threw all that trouble of getting my (powerchip) flash back. I have seen it happen in the case of Dinan the dealer just gets a new email from Dinan and it gets re installed free of charge.

The Dinan pulley is another I want to keep my warranty per say

The Gintani Race I like the loud very loud and I like the black tips and how they fill the rear valance

The gears I want to add that low TQ but don't know the advantages to disadvantage. If someone could fill me in on that in detail I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance
Well, first you have to understand that your actual HP/TRQ increase will depend on what your baseline HP&TRQ numbers are now.

So before you modify anything on your car...go get a couple of baseline dynos done at a local shop first.

Use that same dyno once all your mods are done.

That way, you can actually see what the HP&TRQ difference is after all your aftermarket performance parts have been installed.


As for the hardware...I have a few suggestions:

If you like the Dinan pulley, and you are set on getting a Dinan tune...I would suggest that you get the Dinan x-pipe as well.

If you like the Gintani rear muffler, then get that as well. (if you don't like the Dinan mufflers)


As for rear end gearing...

4.10 gear ratio is unrealistic option for the 7-speed DCT.

3.45 or 3.62 are the best two options to improve acceleration.



As for an intake on this car...

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

The factory air box on the M3 is an engineering masterpiece. Removing it to install an aftermarket option is a waste of money in my opinion.

The only thing you you need to improve the performance of the stock air box, is a good quality drop-in air filter from BMC or Macht Schnell.


Realistic HP/TRQ gains for:

*High performance air filter element for the stock air box
*Dinan 16% under drive pulley
*Dinan x-pipe
*Dinan performance tune for the catless x-pipe
*Gintani rear muffler section

Estimated power bump: + 35whp & +25rwtrq estimate on the same Dynojet dynamometer under ideal conditions.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I'm guessing 360-365whp on a dyno dynamics. 370-380 if you went with a tune like Gintani's.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

I would take out the Dinan tune as well.

the Gintani pulley and the tune will give you lots of extra ponies like Mr. Harris said
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Joe C
Colonel
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Well, first you have to understand that your actual HP/TRQ increase will depend on what your baseline HP&TRQ numbers are now.

So before you modify anything on your car...go get a couple of baseline dynos done at a local shop first.

Use that same dyno once all your mods are done.

That way, you can actually see what the HP&TRQ difference is after all your aftermarket performance parts have been installed.


As for the hardware...I have a few suggestions:

If you like the Dinan pulley, and you are set on getting a Dinan tune...I would suggest that you get the Dinan x-pipe as well.

If you like the Gintani rear muffler, then get that as well. (if you don't like the Dinan mufflers)


As for rear end gearing...

4.10 gear ratio is unrealistic option for the 7-speed DCT.

3.45 or 3.62 are the best two options to improve acceleration.



As for an intake on this car...

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

The factory air box on the M3 is an engineering masterpiece. Removing it to install an aftermarket option is a waste of money in my opinion.

The only thing you you need to improve the performance of the stock air box, is a good quality drop-in air filter from BMC or Macht Schnell.


Realistic HP/TRQ gains for:

*High performance air filter element for the stock air box
*Dinan 16% under drive pulley
*Dinan x-pipe
*Dinan performance tune for the catless x-pipe
*Gintani rear muffler section

Estimated power bump: + 35whp & +25rwtrq estimate on the same Dynojet dynamometer under ideal conditions.
Why do you suggest the dinan x pipe? I have heard alot of good things about gintanis design on there x pipe. I am also going to go with there mufflers. I only ask because I value your opinion and I would like to know your reasoning behind you logic. Thank you.
__________________
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

08 e92 n54
Joe C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Joe C
Colonel
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I would take out the Dinan tune as well.

the Gintani pulley and the tune will give you lots of extra ponies like Mr. Harris said
I would love to get a tune with more power and more tq BUT im looking to get a tune/pulley i can bring my car to the dealer if i hear a ticking sound or a difference in power etc etc... Believe me im not a big fan of dinan BUT i like the fact that i have a little leverage with the service center. How much more power will i gain with say a gintani tune pulley?
__________________
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

08 e92 n54
Joe C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
Why do you suggest the dinan x pipe? I have heard alot of good things about gintanis design on there x pipe. I am also going to go with there mufflers. I only ask because I value your opinion and I would like to know your reasoning behind you logic. Thank you.
Because all the Dinan parts are designed and tested to work together as a turn key package.

Dinan also writes a tune for the x-pipe that produces excellent HP/TRQ gains.

Also,

The Dinan hardware and software can be installed at several BMW dealerships all over the country. (for warranty and convenience purposes)
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

Lemans answered it already for me, but i have the Dinan midpipe and rear and it is the best sounding car i have ever heard plus there is no drone at all and the power increase was awesome, best mod i did for sure.

also if your getting Dinan software they have software for the midpipe so if your not gonna get the Dinan midpipe and rear then don't get there software go with a different company

the Gintani is nice but i believe it has drone and there is no way i could stand any drone. the set up i have sounds exotic above 4k and nice and deep below 4k and has no drone and awesome power. best of all worlds

i have all the products you listed by Dinan and couldn't be happier and my dealer doesn't say a word about warranty

good luck with your new car
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S. FLA

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

The Dinan "warranty" is the most extensively perpetuated falsehood on this board. If you are going catless, then the Dinan flash you are referring to is the racing software and neither it nor the Dinan X-pipe are warrantied in any way other than "workmanship" which means nothing.

"RACING ONLY PRODUCT:
Due to the nature of the intended use, Dinan Racing Products are guaranteed against defects in workmanship only. These products are not warranted against wear and/or failure under any circumstances. These products do not fall under the standard Dinan Limited Product Warranty. Racing-only parts may also affect the BMW warranty and emissions warranty."

Last edited by mfeltiii; 03-05-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling
mfeltiii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Joe C
Colonel
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
The Dinan "warranty" is the most extensively perpetuated falsehood on this board. If you are going catless, then the Dinan flash you are referring to is the racing software and neither it nor the Dinan X-pipe are warrantied in any way other that "workmanship" which means nothing.

"RACING ONLY PRODUCT:
Due to the nature of the intended use, Dinan Racing Products are guaranteed against defects in workmanship only. These products are not warranted against wear and/or failure under any circumstances. These products do not fall under the standard Dinan Limited Product Warranty. Racing-only parts may also affect the BMW warranty and emissions warranty."
Thank you for that response now I think I will only go with the Dinan pulley and or gears. Software/exhaust will get elsewhere. CONFUSED
__________________
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

08 e92 n54

Last edited by Joe C; 03-07-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Joe C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

your talking about one product from them. i bought my midpipe when it had a 2 year warranty, it has since changed. i have a 2 year warranty with my midpipe instead of the normal 4 year warranty. any new midpipe sales then yes that one is racing only as you put it

other then that how is there warranty falsehood, you use one product they make to try and talk crap. all the other products have the 4 year warranty

and the workmanship means nothing lol. it means that is there is something wrong with it they are gonna replace it and warranty it. there not a fly by the night company like other ones out there that leave there customers out to dry. i have been using them for almost ten years and never had one issue

do you even own any of there products to have such knowledge that they wouldn't cover a product??

love when the haters come out of the woodworks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
The Dinan "warranty" is the most extensively perpetuated falsehood on this board. If you are going catless, then the Dinan flash you are referring to is the racing software and neither it nor the Dinan X-pipe are warrantied in any way other that "workmanship" which means nothing.

"RACING ONLY PRODUCT:
Due to the nature of the intended use, Dinan Racing Products are guaranteed against defects in workmanship only. These products are not warranted against wear and/or failure under any circumstances. These products do not fall under the standard Dinan Limited Product Warranty. Racing-only parts may also affect the BMW warranty and emissions warranty."
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

i can tell you right now if you get a catless system it will not have a warranty, no matter where you get it. best bet would be HFC x pipe then

even then i would still get the Dinan just bc i know they take care of there customers so if something did happen they would help in some way, i don't trust any other company to do that. no offense maybe they would but i would put my money with Dinan.

people can talk all the trash they want about them and they may not make the most power etc etc but there still here all these years later as other companies have come and gone bye bye, and out of the 3 Dinan cars i had i never had any problems and all had high miles on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
Thank you for that response now I think I will only go with the Dinan pulley and or gears. Software/exhaust will get elsewhere.
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S. FLA

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

Out of the woodwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
your talking about one product from them. i bought my midpipe when it had a 2 year warranty, it has since changed. i have a 2 year warranty with my midpipe instead of the normal 4 year warranty. any new midpipe sales then yes that one is racing only as you put it

other then that how is there warranty falsehood, you use one product they make to try and talk crap. all the other products have the 4 year warranty

and the workmanship means nothing lol. it means that is there is something wrong with it they are gonna replace it and warranty it. there not a fly by the night company like other ones out there that leave there customers out to dry. i have been using them for almost ten years and never had one issue

do you even own any of there products to have such knowledge that they wouldn't cover a product??

love when the haters come out of the woodworks.

Dude. Quoting Dinan's website does not make me a hater nor does it mean that I am talking crap. In reality it is all the "crap" being talked that forces me to qoute the website.
The OP was being pitched the Dinan x-pipe and software for several reasons, one of which was a warranty that doesn't exist PER THEIR WEBSITE!!!
READ THE QUOTE... "These products are not warrantied against wear and/or failure under any circumstances" What exactly does that leave under the "workmanship" category? Usually workmanship warranties on stainless steel products which don't have moving parts would cover welds or manufacturing defects, but most companies cover that, its industry standard. And even if you did have such a problem, the quoted sentence above says failure under ANY circumstances is not warrantied. I'm not saying Dinan would not fix a weld in their exhaust (im sure they would actually) its just that such a problem is extremely unlikely with any of the exhausts being discussed and these companies would likely warranty these problems as well.

BTW, what do you think the "workmanship" warranty on the racing software covers?!?

I am not picking one product out, mearly responding to the two that are frequently "advertised" on this sight as being a better choice due to their "warranty". The midpipe and midpipe software. I understand that other products carry the Dinan OEM matching warranty. But most people are not particularly worried that their cat-back system is going to viod their OEM warranty, which just leaves the pulley with respect to the OP's projected mods.

So pull it back a notch... I have no doubt that your Dinan set-up rips, nor do I have ANYTHING against Dinan. But the purpose of this forum is to purvey accurate information and I don't feel we have been doing that with respect to this issue.

I will now return to the Woodwork.
mfeltiii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

the only time i had said or suggested there midpipe was when it had the 2 year warranty. they have since dropped that. why i don't know. but since then i never once said the midpipe has a warranty, i only gave my experience with it.

the op assumed it had warranty, so yes thank you for bringing that to his attention.

and for the workmanship i am assuming down the road if something happened to it then they would cover it etc, that is all i meant

sorry if i came off the wrong way its just i hear so many people complain about Dinan but they never owned a product from them or have any experience with them but will go on to say how bad they are how there warranty is bs etc

so in your case yes that one product has no warranty.

and even if i didn't get the 2 year warranty when i bought it i still would of got it over a different company bc that is how much i like there products and know they would do the right thing if it came down to it. thankfully they are one of the companies that do the most R&D out there and i never had any problems 3 M cars later

where with other companies you hear about blown up cars due to a bad ecu, i mean WTF is that?? you hear about intakes not fitting right or losing power, how do you release a product for sale without seeing if it fits right or works right

it is those reasons and many more that i would choose Dinan a company that has been around the block a long time even if it didn't have a warranty hence X pipe

but to each there own and the op will decide what is good for him



Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
Dude. Quoting Dinan's website does not make me a hater nor does it mean that I am talking crap. In reality it is all the "crap" being talked that forces me to qoute the website.
The OP was being pitched the Dinan x-pipe and software for several reasons, one of which was a warranty that doesn't exist PER THEIR WEBSITE!!!
READ THE QUOTE... "These products are not warrantied against wear and/or failure under any circumstances" What exactly does that leave under the "workmanship" category? Usually workmanship warranties on stainless steel products which don't have moving parts would cover welds or manufacturing defects, but most companies cover that, its industry standard. And even if you did have such a problem, the quoted sentence above says failure under ANY circumstances is not warrantied. I'm not saying Dinan would not fix a weld in their exhaust (im sure they would actually) its just that such a problem is extremely unlikely with any of the exhausts being discussed and these companies would likely warranty these problems as well.

BTW, what do you think the "workmanship" warranty on the racing software covers?!?

I am not picking one product out, mearly responding to the two that are frequently "advertised" on this sight as being a better choice due to their "warranty". The midpipe and midpipe software. I understand that other products carry the Dinan OEM matching warranty. But most people are not particularly worried that their cat-back system is going to viod their OEM warranty, which just leaves the pulley with respect to the OP's projected mods.

So pull it back a notch... I have no doubt that your Dinan set-up rips, nor do I have ANYTHING against Dinan. But the purpose of this forum is to purvey accurate information and I don't feel we have been doing that with respect to this issue.

I will now return to the Woodwork.
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #15
Alias
dork
 
Alias's Avatar
 
Drives: //M
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: so cal

Posts: 478
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I would take out the Dinan tune as well.

the Gintani pulley and the tune will give you lots of extra ponies like Mr. Harris said
Gintani pulley I believe is 16% underdrive and Dinan is 16% as well, so it shouldn't matter.

Doesn't Gintani use powerchip's software?
Alias is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #16
Joe C
Colonel
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (5)

Listen guys I never claimed I would get a warranty with my dinan/gintani x pipe. I Still want the Gintani full system.

I was always set on Dinans software just because thats something I personally know I want tuned by the right people with the right amount of R&D. I will even ask Dinan for the un catted tune. The only other people I would trust with that level of tuning for my BMW is Vishnu.

Im not worried about the exhaust not being warranty-ed per say.

Just my software and pulley by Dinan are really set in stone with me. Then pick and choose the rest by design/performance figures/worksmanship etc...

*and 99% my gears with Dinan ... Im picking and choosing to my importance of a quality tested product in my drivetrain.

BED
__________________
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

08 e92 n54
Joe C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #17
e.n335
Moderator
 
e.n335's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

Posts: 4,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
Listen guys I never claimed I would get a warranty with my dinan/gintani x pipe. I Still want the Gintani full system.

I was always set on Dinans software just because thats something I personally know I want tuned by the right people with the right amount of R&D. I will even ask Dinan for the un catted tune. The only other people I would trust with that level of tuning for my BMW is Vishnu.

Im not worried about the exhaust not being warranty-ed per say.

Just my software and pulley by Dinan are really set in stone with me. Then pick and choose the rest by design/performance figures/worksmanship etc...

*and 99% my gears with Dinan ... Im picking and choosing to my importance of a quality tested product in my drivetrain.

BED
e.n335 is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #18
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
Listen guys I never claimed I would get a warranty with my dinan/gintani x pipe. I Still want the Gintani full system.

I was always set on Dinans software just because thats something I personally know I want tuned by the right people with the right amount of R&D. I will even ask Dinan for the un catted tune. The only other people I would trust with that level of tuning for my BMW is Vishnu.

Im not worried about the exhaust not being warranty-ed per say.

Just my software and pulley by Dinan are really set in stone with me. Then pick and choose the rest by design/performance figures/worksmanship etc...

*and 99% my gears with Dinan ... Im picking and choosing to my importance of a quality tested product in my drivetrain.

BED
There is a guy selling a mint condition Dinan x-pipe in the parts for sale section.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358083

Dinan has extensive R&D invested in their x-pipe design. I know this based on a conversation with their chief engineer. This particular x-pipe design made the best power and torque of the half dozen different prototypes they built in-house. (two resonators, no resonators, primary cat delete, secondary cat delete, etc.)

The 2.75" primary exhaust piping diameter, and the four resonators were properly sized to increase horsepower & torque while also eliminating DRONE in the low-to-midrange rpm band.

Due to the high energy created during the combustion process inside the engine (when exhaust gases first enter the exhaust pipes), they will contain a variety of sound frequencies. Most of these frequencies are not very acoustically pleasing to the ear. Both OEM and aftermarket exhaust manufacturers use resonators on vehicles, as a way to 'deaden' or reduce these unpleasant exhaust frequencies. The exhaust gases leaving our high revving M3's will have a lot of high-pitched frequencies, better known as RASP.

Strategically placed resonators with the correct size, length, and internal sound deadening material (ceramic in this case), can actually be used to 'tune' the exhaust note (like a musical instrument), by canceling out undesirable sound frequencies. (leaving behind only those which are most pleasant)

BTW: The noise suppression characteristics of the 2 resonators Dinan uses before the 'X' is different than the noise suppression characteristics of the 2 resonators after the 'X'. (by design)

Now that's what I call Engineering...

This design concept is much easier for me to explain, than it is to actually build.

This requires a lot of R&D (trial and error), which is why Dinan worked on their x-pipe for over a year.

An aftermarket performance company like Diann has there work cut out for them. They have to come up with an exhaust design that gives the least resistance to the exhaust gases flow, while also removing unwanted frequencies that will lead to droning. That's not easy!

In fact, it's a lot tougher than you might think.

You have to find just the right combination of pipe diameter, wall thickness, the physical size of the resonator itself, sizing of the internal perforated holes inside the resonator, the sound deadening material that's encased inside the resonator, etc.

You may think it's just a piece of stainless steel pipe, with a couple of resonators welded in...but you'd be wrong.

In this x-pipe design, Dinan has manged to strike a nearly perfect balance between allowing the exhaust gases to pass through (with almost no restriction), while also removing the unwanted sound frequencies contained in the exhaust gas stream. (that leads to droning)

I'm telling you right now, you're about to make a big mistake if you pass on the Dinan catless mid pipe brother...

Keep in mind, that Dinan has performance software was tailor made to match up with their catless mid pipe.

The Gintani rear muffler section will be loud enough by itself. (not to mention that it drones)

Adding an x-pipe that drones as well will only compound that problem.

You're going to be kicking yourself later, if you remain on the path you are on now.

You might want to take a step back and re-think your decision here.

It's your money, so you can buy whatever you want.

I just wanted you to know the score.

An informed buyer tends to make smart, well thought out purchase decisions. (on average)

It's funny how often that philosophy seems to pay off.

Cheers.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
Joe C
Colonel
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
There is a guy selling a mint condition Dinan x-pipe in the parts for sale section.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358083

Dinan has extensive R&D invested in their x-pipe design. I know this based on a conversation with their chief engineer. This particular x-pipe design made the best power and torque of the half dozen different prototypes they built in-house. (two resonators, no resonators, primary cat delete, secondary cat delete, etc.)

The 2.75" primary exhaust piping diameter, and the four resonators were properly sized to increase horsepower & torque while also eliminating DRONE in the low-to-midrange rpm band.

Due to the high energy created during the combustion process inside the engine (when exhaust gases first enter the exhaust pipes), they will contain a variety of sound frequencies. Most of these frequencies are not very acoustically pleasing to the ear. Both OEM and aftermarket exhaust manufacturers use resonators on vehicles, as a way to 'deaden' or reduce these unpleasant exhaust frequencies. The exhaust gases leaving our high revving M3's will have a lot of high-pitched frequencies, better known as RASP.

Strategically placed resonators with the correct size, length, and internal sound deadening material (ceramic in this case), can actually be used to 'tune' the exhaust note (like a musical instrument), by canceling out undesirable sound frequencies. (leaving behind only those which are most pleasant)

BTW: The noise suppression characteristics of the 2 resonators Dinan uses before the 'X' is different than the noise suppression characteristics of the 2 resonators after the 'X'. (by design)

Now that's what I call Engineering...

This design concept is much easier for me to explain, than it is to actually build.

This requires a lot of R&D (trial and error), which is why Dinan worked on their x-pipe for over a year.

An aftermarket performance company like Diann has there work cut out for them. They have to come up with an exhaust design that gives the least resistance to the exhaust gases flow, while also removing unwanted frequencies that will lead to droning. That's not easy!

In fact, it's a lot tougher than you might think.

You have to find just the right combination of pipe diameter, wall thickness, the physical size of the resonator itself, sizing of the internal perforated holes inside the resonator, the sound deadening material that's encased inside the resonator, etc.

You may think it's just a piece of stainless steel pipe, with a couple of resonators welded in...but you'd be wrong.

In this x-pipe design, Dinan has manged to strike a nearly perfect balance between allowing the exhaust gases to pass through (with almost no restriction), while also removing the unwanted sound frequencies contained in the exhaust gas stream. (that leads to droning)

I'm telling you right now, you're about to make a big mistake if you pass on the Dinan catless mid pipe brother...

Keep in mind, that Dinan has performance software was tailor made to match up with their catless mid pipe.

The Gintani rear muffler section will be loud enough by itself. (not to mention that it drones)

Adding an x-pipe that drones as well will only compound that problem.

You're going to be kicking yourself later, if you remain on the path you are on now.

You might want to take a step back and re-think your decision here.

It's your money, so you can buy whatever you want.

I just wanted you to know the score.

An informed buyer tends to make smart, well thought out purchase decisions. (on average)

It's funny how often that philosophy seems to pay off.

Cheers.

I really have to do my research on this particular part. Even in the FS thread you quoted the seller is going to the Gintani x pipe full exhaust.

I WILL get Dinan 3.62, Uncatted software, and UD Pulley 100%

I Definatly want Gintani race cans in the rear.

For the x pipe etc from headers to the cans I will still do my research.

For intake I plan to add scoops and change the filter and thats all.

I hope that with my planned performance mods I will get the feel out of the ///M I desire. Stock the car is somewhat tamed to my liking.
__________________
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

08 e92 n54
Joe C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
M3Captain
Banned
 
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 575
iTrader: (1)

Move #1.....

Get a 6MT!!!!!!

Removing the primary cats and a tune will develop the most power from this car. Intake, pulley, etc... Is not much HP. Or forgo all the BS and just get an ESS kit! Either way you will love this car. Just installed a Remus Race and the sound is intoxicating!
M3Captain is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #21
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
I really have to do my research on this particular part. Even in the FS thread you quoted the seller is going to the Gintani x pipe full exhaust.

I WILL get Dinan 3.62, Uncatted software, and UD Pulley 100%

I Definatly want Gintani race cans in the rear.

For the x pipe etc from headers to the cans I will still do my research.

For intake I plan to add scoops and change the filter and thats all.

I hope that with my planned performance mods I will get the feel out of the ///M I desire. Stock the car is somewhat tamed to my liking.
I love the statement in your signature...I couldn't agree more. (hint, hint)

BTW: I made sure to give you a complete and thorough breakdown of WHY you should consider the Dinan mid-pipe. The T-304 stainless steel construction, top notch TIG welding, and Dinan's legendary fit and finish quality has been very well established over the past few decades.

Curious to hear what was the other guys detailed analysis was for choosing the Gintani x-pipe over the Dinan?
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
Joe C
Colonel
 
Joe C's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
Move #1.....

Get a 6MT!!!!!!

Removing the primary cats and a tune will develop the most power from this car. Intake, pulley, etc... Is not much HP. Or forgo all the BS and just get an ESS kit! Either way you will love this car. Just installed a Remus Race and the sound is intoxicating!
Haaa how you been buddy?

Thats a whole other aspect I chose for dumb reasons. I LOVE the speed of the shifts with the DCT. I also love the stupid little things like the shift lights on the tach.

Dont get me wrong heal/toe in this car is amazing esp with a little ssk. But again I opted for dct for the shift speed and shift lights. I also live in the city. UGHHHH not an easy desicion BUT one I did make already.

**Im going to be spending about 10k easy on bolt on performance. And definatly for hp/$ ratio the ess kit sounds great BUT I will not fi this car. Most I would do is stroke and I dont see that happening anytime soon. Just my feeling on the engine etc...
__________________
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

08 e92 n54
Joe C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST