BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

European Auto Source

03-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #67
whathappened
Banned

Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
maybe he was referring to the fact that Obama is only half black. He's as black as Derek Jeter and I've never heard anyone call Jeter "black," he's called "mixed" if anyone mentions it at all.

Constantly referring to Obama as black was a clear attempt by the Dems to show what a historic event it would be to elect him. They played off of the emotions of the election and did what they needed to do to win.

IDK if that's what that guy was referring to but it's something the GOP should have addressed regardless.

So what would the talking point be that the GOP should have pushed? How could have the GOP played Obama's race to their benefit? I just don't see an angle there that could have been exploited.
      03-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #68
Buegie
Captain

Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathappened View Post
So what would the talking point be that the GOP should have pushed? How could have the GOP played Obama's race to their benefit? I just don't see an angle there that could have been exploited.
Well the point would have been that the Dems were trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes playing the race card. But you're probably right in that any attempt to address it probably would have seemed petty.
      03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #69
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس

Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Lol I'm sure it was a joke. It got a chuckle out of me and I'm no ignorant fuck.
i saw it as a poke from the birther uprising. aside from that, i dont see the joke.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
335iheLLraiseR is offline   United_States
      03-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #70
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi &lt;--- Joke

Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
maybe he was referring to the fact that Obama is only half black. He's as black as Derek Jeter and I've never heard anyone call Jeter "black," he's called "mixed" if anyone mentions it at all.

Constantly referring to Obama as black was a clear attempt by the Dems to show what a historic event it would be to elect him. They played off of the emotions of the election and did what they needed to do to win.

IDK if that's what that guy was referring to but it's something the GOP should have addressed regardless.
^ My point.
I'm sorry but he isn't black, and the dems were going crazy with his race...
Alexander is offline   United_States
      03-04-2010, 01:39 AM   #71
lambtron
First Lieutenant

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift330 View Post
Probably. The military updates everything super slow. When I went to get my CAC as an Army Contractor a few months after my sep, they pulled up my SSN on JPAS or whatever network they used, it listed me as active an CURRENTLY DEPLOYED to IRAQ haha. They take forever to update anything.
When they did an audit of my SRB just before my EAS, I was still deployed from 2006...I got out last august, haha...apparently I'm the only one who does 36 month deployments.
      03-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #72
whathappened
Banned

Drives: yes

Quote:
Well the point would have been that the Dems were trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes playing the race card. But you're probably right in that any attempt to address it probably would have seemed petty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
I'm sorry but he isn't black, and the dems were going crazy with his race...
If you believe it would be a good idea for the GOP national leaders (a large number of whom are rich, white, older southerners) to attack Obama by saying he isn't black -- then by all means use that attack in 2012.

We'll see how great an idea it is when the GOP tours through the South and these same GOP leaders stand up in front of the same mostly-white rallies that showed up for McCain/Palin rallies, and campaign on how Obama is too white, so he shouldn't be President.

Being called "petty" would be the least of the GOP's worries. The GOP should expect parallels to be made between a bunch of white guys not allowing a son of a black man to identify himself as black, with historical events where a bunch of white guys previously told the sons of a black man and a white woman that they WERE black. Back when having just a black grand-parent, or great-grand parent meant that a bunch of white guys told you that you WERE black no matter what you said -- and therefore could not vote, could not own land, could not marry a white woman, etc.

Turning around and having a bunch of old white male Republican GOP leaders appointing themselves to be the ones who go out on the campaign circuit to decide who gets to call themselves "black" or not once again in history, would be a political nightmare.

And I'm not really sure what you are talking about Obama trying to pull the wool over the eyes of anyone regarding his race, when he kept saying stuff like this in campaign speeches:

"I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton's Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas."

Since 51% of Americans (as polled by Pew Research) say they heard the exact speech that this quote came from, I don't really think there were many people who voted for him that were in any way confused with what color Obama's parents were. Obama was perfectly clear over and over as to exactly who his parents were. The only wool involved was all the wool needed to keep the millions of people warm during the inauguration of the United State's first black President.
      03-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #73
Buegie
Captain

Drives: 330xi

^you dont read very well, I agreed with you that there wasn't an effective way to address the issue. And I never claimed that Obama wasn't forethcoming about his race. I just said that liberals (the media more specifically) used the term "black" because it better fit their cause.
      03-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #74
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi &lt;--- Joke

Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
^you dont read very well, I agreed with you that there wasn't an effective way to address the issue. And I never claimed that Obama wasn't forethcoming about his race. I just said that liberals (the media more specifically) used the term "black" because it better fit their cause.
Agreed.

Then Kanye comes along.
Alexander is offline   United_States
      03-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #75
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree. The repubs didn't talk about Obama's race enough in the last election. I hope they decide to debate the merits of Obama's "blackness" as a campaign issue in 2012. I'm sure that'll be a winner

330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper