BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
 
SPQR M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Q re ipod connectivity

Just a quick one for the Aussie M3 owners from a soon-to-be M3 owner.

How and where do you connect an ipod to the E92 M3? I have read reports of either in the glove box or in the centre console, and some people have said that you can't actually control the ipod from the iDrive knob, rather, you need to download the content onto the iDrive HDD.

Can someone please tell me how it all hooks up.

Thanks
SPQR M3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
 
LuKe450's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Hi mate

It's under the centre console. In my experience it's very easy to hook up so long as you buy the correct iPod BMW Cable. Everything is accessable via the iDrive 'wheel'
LuKe450 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
 
SPQR M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuKe450 View Post
Hi mate

It's under the centre console. In my experience it's very easy to hook up so long as you buy the correct iPod BMW Cable. Everything is accessable via the iDrive 'wheel'
Thanks mate - so you're saying the standard white USB cable won't work? Will I need to order the BMW cable separately from my dealer?
SPQR M3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
M3E92Junkie
Private First Class
 
M3E92Junkie's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

SPQR - you will need a BMW cable. The centre console has 1 AUX and 1 USB port. Data is transfered to iDrive via the USB port and is also an iPod Charger.

The AUX Cable channels the audio. THe rest is via the wheel.

Check out the iDrive information on this CNET CarTech video:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/

Search for 2009 M3
M3E92Junkie is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
 
SPQR M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3E92Junkie View Post
SPQR - you will need a BMW cable. The centre console has 1 AUX and 1 USB port. Data is transfered to iDrive via the USB port and is also an iPod Charger.

The AUX Cable channels the audio. THe rest is via the wheel.

Check out the iDrive information on this CNET CarTech video:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/

Search for 2009 M3
OK thanks....I checked that video.

So I've established that you need an ipod cable - my next question is, does it come with the car or is it something I need to arrange before delivery?
SPQR M3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
M3E92Junkie
Private First Class
 
M3E92Junkie's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Dealers have tonnes of it in stock.

I would encourage them to throw it in given the significance of your purchase. $150k plus vehicle.
M3E92Junkie is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Androo
Second Lieutenant
 
Androo's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 AW DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

I just used the white cable that came with my ipod, it works fine and charges the ipod too. Am i missing something here?
Androo is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
 
LuKe450's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androo View Post
I just used the white cable that came with my ipod, it works fine and charges the ipod too. Am i missing something here?
Hi Androo

If it works don't mess with it & save the hundred+ dollars for the BMW iPod cable.

My standard iPod cable wouldn't allow me to see nor play my total play list, only a few songs. I called up my dealer & they said to get the cable - trouble free since.
LuKe450 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
OzStriker
Captain
 
OzStriker's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 923
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
I seem to recall the BMW iPod cable allows the playing of digitally copy protected music downloaded through itunes...Other music will play fine.

The easiest option in my opinion is just to grab a large capacity USB stick and store your music on there...Keeps it all digital and gives you your iPod back!
__________________
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
OzStriker is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
 
LuKe450's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
I seem to recall the BMW iPod cable allows the playing of digitally copy protected music downloaded through itunes...Other music will play fine.

The easiest option in my opinion is just to grab a large capacity USB stick and store your music on there...Keeps it all digital and gives you your iPod back!
Sounds spot on!

Thanks for the tip with the USB.
LuKe450 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
 
Dntlvet's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin

Posts: 448
iTrader: (0)

The IPod cable I got from the dealer has the connection to the ipod and the other cable end has both USB and audio jack. Do I plug both in and go to i drive multimedia???
Dntlvet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
 
amk2912's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dntlvet View Post
The IPod cable I got from the dealer has the connection to the ipod and the other cable end has both USB and audio jack. Do I plug both in and go to i drive multimedia???
Plug both USB and 3.5mm plug into their respective sockets under the armrest. It should also charge your iPod.
__________________
2012 BMW F10 520d M-Sport
2010 BMW E70 X5 xdrive40d

amk2912 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST