BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
adc
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

ContiExtremeContact DWS (high perf all seasons) impressions in big snowstorm

I've posted a few images in the general forum here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...55#post6696155

But if you just want the cliff notes - the tires are great.
- As mentioned on TireRack, purely from a handling perspective (dry) the turn in is a little soft and comfort a great deal more than the PS2.
- Wet handling is excellent, pretty much on par with the PS2 in the summer, but on cold wet pavement.
- In both dry and wet, the breakaway is very progressive and controllable.
- Unlike a set of PZero Nero M+S I've had before, these won't flat-spot overnight.
- In light snow, they will get you home every time.
- In heavy snow, you'll be limited by the car's clearance more than the tires.
- On packed snow they do slide a bit if you are frisky with the throttle, but it all happens in slow motion, it's great for practicing emergency maneuvers at low speed (that's how I explain it to my wife).
- Excellent in slush and resistant to hydroplaning.

I plan to use these December-March as my winter setup in the DC area. Even the current huge snowstorm hasn't really put a dent in my mobility, other than clearance at times - but at those times, even the X3 struggled. I would not use these all year long, they seem to be geared more towards bad weather - there are other all seasons geared more towards dry/summer etc.

But overall I like them so much, I just replaced the X3's OEM Scorpions with these as well.

That's about it. If you have specific questions, ask away.
      02-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness

Drives: Slowly

How do they compare, price-wise to a good snow tire? I only ask since you're not using them year round, I don't see much of a benefit to using them as a true snow tire unless there is a great money savings.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
      02-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
adc
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
How do they compare, price-wise to a good snow tire? I only ask since you're not using them year round, I don't see much of a benefit to using them as a true snow tire unless there is a great money savings.
I got all 4 installed for $800.

They may well be cheaper than a good set of winters in M3 sizes, but that's not why I went with them. I went with these because, this year notwithstanding, winters are very mild in the DC area. Usually there are just a few days with snow on the ground, and these tires can definitely handle that.

But they will work better - much much better - than winter tires when the roads are clear with temps in the 40s and 50s (and the occasional spike into 60s) as typical of winters here.

They also can serve well as full sized spares for the summer setup.
      02-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
BCMPOWER
Captain

Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

ADC, I also just recently purchased and installed the DWS's for my M3 last month and drove through this crazy snowstorm, and to my surprise with careful throttle application the traction control did not go off at all. I got them in the 19's and went with 275's in the rear. Like you stated before the main concern was not the traction but our car's low clearance and the deep snow and ruts. I was going to purchase the Pilot A/S plus but read the reviews for this tire and went with these, Impressive all weather tire at a great price.
      02-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
adc
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
ADC, I also just recently purchased and installed the DWS's for my M3 last month and drove through this crazy snowstorm, and to my surprise with careful throttle application the traction control did not go off at all. I got them in the 19's and went with 275's in the rear. Like you stated before the main concern was not the traction but our car's low clearance and the deep snow and ruts. I was going to purchase the Pilot A/S plus but read the reviews for this tire and went with these, Impressive all weather tire at a great price.
Cool...

Will you use them year-round, or just for winter?
      02-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
BCMPOWER
Captain

Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

I am planning to use them year round, at least for this year. I haven't really had a chance to drive them hard because of the recent weather so I don't know the true dry weather handling characteristics. So far they are extremely smooth and quiet on dry roads but even with 19's I can still feel some sidewall flex when cornering. I am looking to get a track wheel and tire set up, so these may be just for daily driving.
      02-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
gemini330zhp
Major

Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I got these on my car too!!!! Had them since they came out.....No issues thus far this winter with all the snow we have been getting!!!!! Great all around tire for the North East!!! Im using them all year round DD.

Last edited by gemini330zhp; 02-12-2010 at 12:03 AM.
gemini330zhp is offline   Philippines