BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

02-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Second car dilemma

Here is my dilemma

I had a plan on keeping my 335xi, which I enjoy a lot, as a daily driver for a long time and buying a separate car for track fun. I could not decide on the second car for a while though, as I wanted something small and nimble, but practical enough so that I could enjoy it outside of a track once in a while (e.g. drive to a golf course or around town in good weather).

Finally, I found a perfect second car - Boxster Spyder (the new one). I started on planning getting one and here it began… My new house does not have space for a second car, and there is no legal way for me to make it. So I would have to park one car on the street (not the Spyder - it has no roof) or in the lane behind the garage. Street parking is often not available, and parking in the lane would block the way out of garage, so if I put my bimmer there, the other car would be locked out, so I'll always use bimmer… On top of that, I would have little use for the second car, since both my wife and I do not need to drive to work, and the soonest I can get a Spyder from any of local dealers is October-November, which would mean it would not even be broken-in before the 2011 track season…

So if I go with my original plan, I'll be stuck with 335xi for at least one and a half track seasons, and there is a probability I may chicken out of owning Spyder in the end due to the issues mentioned above. Does not sound like a good plan anymore…

So I am thinking of doing something else, at least to get me through the next 2 seasons. Here are the scenarios I am considering:

1. Keeping 335xi and modding the heck out of it to make it track-worthy. I mean, I love 335xi, but in it's stock form it is not a track car. It would need a lot of work - suspension, engine cooling, brakes. And it is still too heavy for the tires you can put on it, so rubber just melts of the wheels if you push it. So this is the cheapest option, but I feel like what I will get will not satisfy me for too long, and I will end up loosing all the money I put in mods. So I probably will not go with this option.

2. Selling 335xi and buying something that would be one car that can be both my only car and a track car. The question is if there is such a car for under 90K (probably used - do not want to wait for delivery and break-in) . Something like STI or EVO would work, but I cannot own a car like that as my only car due to my work (yes, I work with extremely shallow people). M3? GTR? 911S? Anything else?

Thoughts?

Last edited by MaxL; 02-04-2010 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Considering that you or our wife don't need the car to get to work, you can go ahead and buy a more track worthy car with from a good brand, just to shut the "shallow coworkers" up. My guess is that this car will be used for outings as well as track correct?

I say get rid of the 335xi and get yourself a M3/C63/S4 or a really nice coupe that can fit 2 sets of golf clubs.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Year: 2007
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Price: $78500
Mileage: 17000
Color: white
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): FL
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

My new '10RS is underway, so selling my '07 GT3 with everything: White, new MSRP 109K, 130K Invested. 17K miles. The car is perfect inside and outside, the clear bra not so much, should be replaced. Always parked inside. Clean title, clean carfax, no accidents. Options: Red dials, red belts, CF package, clear bra. LWFW, 996 GT3 leather seats, red 6-point belts, Sharky bypass, white rollbar , '09 CUP grills, CUP front lip, '10 air ducts rear. In the car, but not included in price, but available: Traqmate, Chasecam, V1, laser jammer. Full service each year by Champion, beyond what Porsche recommends; Full Service but also coolant flush and transmission flush, usually life time. Each 3 months, or about every 500-1000 miles new Mobil1 oil and oil filter. Full service record available from Champion Porsche. This car is perfect for DE and is set up for it. If interested I will include and instruct (I am national PCA certified instructor) at a DE event in South Florida. I would love to show all the details to true enthusiast. Included in the price: Extra Volk TE37 Wheels, tires, brake pads and rotors. This car has been tracked, but not abused. Most GT3's have been tracked, but often brought back to stock. Never over 2500RPM unless oil was 200+ Never missed a shift. All inspections encouraged. Compare to a stock GT3 and you will have to invest another 10K+ making it ideal for DE events. If DE events with a 997 GT3 is you mission, this is the lowest cost possible 997 GT3 available. No trades or owner financing.

As a golfer myself I still say "If they don't fit, who cares"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Have you considered putting the track car in a storage facility? Find a nearby one and store the car; just park your 335xi in there while you are driving the tracker.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
imported_Nomad
Rep
Drives:

If your garage is tall enough, you could always invest in a lift and have both cars in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Nomad View Post
If your garage is tall enough, you could always invest in a lift and have both cars in the garage.
I was actually planning to make some measurements to explore that option. It would still be an inconvenience, plus a long wait for Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Regarding GT3 suggestion - that would be too hard-core for the only car in the family. I do need a back seat for giving rides to friends from time to time. Maybe not full-sized, though. Also, as a skier, I do drive in winter and need a way to transport skis.

The more I think about the option of one car, the more I am leaning towards M3. With it, the only sacrifices would be winter driving safety and fuel economy - both not too critical. But does it really give the track car feel and performance? I did a testdrive a while back, but driving in the city does not tell much - I thought 335xi was a track-ready car before I took it to the track :-).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The M3 is a great car and choice.

$54,500 With all mods.
2008 BMW M3 coupe (e92), 6MT
Alpine white on black, brushed aluminum trim
I think it has 16K miles or 12K.

Premium pkg
Technology pkg
Enhanced audio
Heated seats
Ipod/USB
Sirius satellite radio
18" wheels
Ventureshield covering full front bumper, 1/3 way up hood and fenders, headlights, mirrors.

Car had 1200 mile service done right at 1200 miles. Had an in between oil change done at my own expense at 8000 miles and another service at 15k miles. Currently, car has 16,600 miles on it. Has always been garaged, clean carfax, no dings...just in great condition.

Current mods on car are H&R sport springs (to be sold with car), 20% tint, APE filter, Fabspeed high flow cats and resonated x-pipe, Eisenmann Race muffler, Vorsteiner type I CF diffuser, 20" Klassen k8.2 wheels with Nitto Invo tires (now has the 18" stock wheels mounted running 15/12 mm spacers). Car is tastefully modded and looks fabulous. I will likely be selling all the mods seperately unless someone is willing to pay their fair value. Car has been paid off and title is in hand. Again, this is a feeler.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

get that m3 with all mods. that's a great deal and this car will does everything for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Both cars make me
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

That M looks great, and I'd get it or something like it. I'd prefer a sedan, though - like the looks better, and if I'm going practical, why not go all the way.

I cannot sell the 335 till early april (tax reasons), so I'd have to pass on this particular one anyway. But M3 looks like a good option.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I prefer the e90 M too. You can get even better deals on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That GT3 is

OP, I'd say keep the 335 and get a cheap, small, tossable track toy. I hate the idea of taking an expensive car to the track...especially if it's you only car and your DD.

Good luck with the decision.
      02-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #14
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Lotus Elise/Exige yo
Appreciate 0