BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
itofigari's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: F80soon/2010 Ducati 1198S RIP
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
Anyone know how long it could take?
Hey man,
I JUST found a place 20 minutes away from my house (I live in Austin) and they say it takes 24 hours. Im doing a matte black or dark charcoal...mine is a AW M3 E90.
Will post pics when the job is done.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #24
chris s
Major General
chris s's Avatar
71
Rep
5,479
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsman View Post
yup! got mine done by proformance. they also make custom wheels. can't wait for spring so i can put them on
Hey, what did they charge you exactly? I'm considering the same...im right near New Rochelle.

PM me if you prefer...I'm also curious where you're located...maybe i can take a look at yours. Did you do a gloss or matte finish?

thanks
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #25
wea
Private
6
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itofigari View Post
Hey man,
I JUST found a place 20 minutes away from my house (I live in Austin) and they say it takes 24 hours. Im doing a matte black or dark charcoal...mine is a AW M3 E90.
Will post pics when the job is done.
Cheers
So who is your source in Austin?
__________________
Favorite Quote on Supercars: "They are designed to melt ice caps, kill the poor, poison the water table, destroy the ozone layer, decimate indigenous wildlife, recapture the Falkland islands, and turn the entire third world into a huge uninhabitable desert... but only after they nicked all the oil." Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear 05x02 @ 48:55.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #26
DirtyHarry
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3 E90
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itofigari View Post
Hey man,
I JUST found a place 20 minutes away from my house (I live in Austin) and they say it takes 24 hours. Im doing a matte black or dark charcoal...mine is a AW M3 E90.
Will post pics when the job is done.
Cheers
I'd also like to know who to use in Austin for powdercoating.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #27
mocsman
Second Lieutenant
mocsman's Avatar
Philippines
5
Rep
263
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Hey, what did they charge you exactly? I'm considering the same...im right near New Rochelle.

PM me if you prefer...I'm also curious where you're located...maybe i can take a look at yours. Did you do a gloss or matte finish?

thanks
neither, i just went with the regular flat black... i was discouraged to get gloss as it's very difficult to maintain. call them up and look for Mario... there's always a couple of rims they're powdercoating some variation of black there so you can drop by to get an idea. definitely not the cheapest but from what i saw, they back it up with the quality of their work. tell Mario that Rey with the AW E90 M3 sent you.

BTW, the rims won't be on until spring, still rocking my stockies.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #28
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
79
Rep
4,910
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Make sure they do a low temp powder coating since the wheels are forged.
What maximum temp is considered 'low temp'? Thx.

I'm considering powder-coating mine as well. Interesting discussion about gloss. Most are done semi-gloss, for what I've garnered, but will keep researching before I make up my mind.

Hey, what do we do about those small '///M' stickers? Tried lifting them with my fingernail and they just don't lift. Guess we have to destroy them to remove them, then buy new ones, right? And how about the outer part of the TPMS valve covers? They'd look like a sore thumb silver over black, no? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #29
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

1. you need to remove the stickers. try a flat head.
2. please remove your tpms and valves so that they don't melt in the oven. trust me, you will not notice a small piece of silver valve cap.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
79
Rep
4,910
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
1. you need to remove the stickers. try a flat head.
2. please remove your tpms and valves so that they don't melt in the oven. trust me, you will not notice a small piece of silver valve cap.
1. What I meant is if they can be reused?
2. That's pretty obvious but a good comment . I meant if somebody spray-painted them separately. If the outer part with the hex 'head' is like a sleeve (separate from the sensor assembly), it could be powder-coated as well. Thanks man. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

iTrader: (4)

yeah there custom wheels are just sick, to bad there alot of loot but you would have to expect that since there from scratch and you have a unique wheel

did you paint your oem's or go custom??

what color?? any pics??

sorry for all the questions just trying to decide what i want to do after the winter. i have some VMR 710's on now with snows but i want something lighter for the spring and you can't go wrong with our forged oem's

thanks

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsman View Post
yup! got mine done by proformance. they also make custom wheels. can't wait for spring so i can put them on
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #32
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,819
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
What maximum temp is considered 'low temp'? Thx.

I'm considering powder-coating mine as well. Interesting discussion about gloss. Most are done semi-gloss, for what I've garnered, but will keep researching before I make up my mind.

Hey, what do we do about those small '///M' stickers? Tried lifting them with my fingernail and they just don't lift. Guess we have to destroy them to remove them, then buy new ones, right? And how about the outer part of the TPMS valve covers? They'd look like a sore thumb silver over black, no? Thx.
Not sure on the temp to be honest. In my case, I had the re-finisher just use regular paint to avoid any issues.

I think the question was answered about the stickers, you can also order replacements if you like.

I left the TPMS gunmetal/silver/oem color, but painting those black would look better!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #33
graider
Colonel
graider's Avatar
26
Rep
2,408
Posts

 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
I did mine myself and it only took 2 days, but they're painted. Rustoleum makes special wheel paint that's tough as nails and works great. I did it ~4 months ago and still don't have a single chip. Click my signature for more pictures.
did you have to sand it down, then paint or just paint it?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #34
mocsman
Second Lieutenant
mocsman's Avatar
Philippines
5
Rep
263
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
yeah there custom wheels are just sick, to bad there alot of loot but you would have to expect that since there from scratch and you have a unique wheel

did you paint your oem's or go custom??

what color?? any pics??

sorry for all the questions just trying to decide what i want to do after the winter. i have some VMR 710's on now with snows but i want something lighter for the spring and you can't go wrong with our forged oem's

thanks

H
sorry i still don't have pics, the set is currently in storage. i went with just flat black for my oem 19s, i think they look good but seeing how nice the result was when a couple of people went with a litle bit of gloss mixed into matte, I might have to redo them
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST