BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #133
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,663
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
What brake fluid are you using.? I purchased the Castrol SRF from my installer. I watched the install and it took most of the day. With the fluid and 10% sales tax it was close to $800.
Motul RBF.
SRF would have run you over $100 alone no?
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #134
dawgdog
Colonel
29
Rep
2,178
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3, 2010 GT3RS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Motul RBF.
SRF would have run you over $100 alone no?
Can't remember the exact amount but it was at least that much.
__________________
2015 f80 M3, 2010 GT3RS
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #135
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,663
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
Can't remember the exact amount but it was at least that much.
Maybe their quote was not to extreme then. Im gonna shop around tomorrow, want to get these installed ASAP when they arrive.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #136
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
My question is; what guarantee, warranty and/or support can I expect from AP/Stillen if this BBK overheats (melts components like dust boot seals) and fails to meet my aforementioned expectations ??
While no aftermarket brake company will "guarantee" their components can never be overheated (you or I could kill any of them in less than 30 minutes if either of us was immature enough to want to do so), major manufacturers with a long history and a solid reputation will stand behind their product. It is no different with these. The great thing about choosing a manufacturer who is dominant in racing, some of the new developments do make it into the aftermarket parts. For one example, the seal materials now used in the AP Racing road calipers are the same as what was used in professional racing just 5 years ago. Also, AP Racing supplies many OE manufacturers, so they are very familiar with concerns over warranty claims. They have been around that block many, many times.

All that said, I have seen very little in the way of "cooked" components over the years, especially over the last 3 years. Most of which were related to incorrectly adjusted brake pedal or master cylinders, pad fitment problems or installation issues. The rare cases which were related to manufacturing or quality issues were resolved -- after all, nobody is perfect. That doesn't mean someone can't cook these, but there is sufficient thermal capacity to handle serious track days without worry. Aside from that, I am very comfortable in having you get feedback from people already using them as opposed to relying on what I'm telling you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
And what is the pad shape number for reference?
Front: AP Racing (ref.) - CP3894D51, Mintex - 1850, Ferodo - FRP3054, Hawk - HB122x.710.

Rear: AP Racing (ref.) - CP6600D55, Mintex - 2207, Ferodo - FRP3083.

There are plenty more as both of these shapes have been around for a while, so your favorite pad manufacturer can use these numbers to find a cross.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #137
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Motul RBF.
SRF would have run you over $100 alone no?
You might also consider AP Racing PRF if you are concerned about extreme temperature performance. This is a fluid used by many teams in NASCAR Sprint Cup, the highest sustained temperature application for iron rotors on the planet. No, they aren't M3's, but with 3500 lbs., 750+HP and only 15" wheels and skinny 9" tires, those hippos on roller skates can sure burn up brakes!

PRF is known to have a slightly lower boiling point than SRF, but the recovery is much better if it ever does boil (about 95% vs. about 70%). This means is doesn't completely go to crap in the unusual event it does boil. It lists for $29.99/500mL bottle, but you can probably find it for less from forum vendors.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #138
KM3
Formerly K335i
KM3's Avatar
5
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Racer Parts Wholesale (www.racerpartswholesale.com) has AP Racing PRF on closeout for $19.99 per 500mL bottle. They also have Castrol SRF on special for $68.99 per 1L bottle. Good deals all around.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #139
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
slipstream's Avatar
8
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (2)

How much brake fluid is required for the E90/E92 M3? Is there a shelf life?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #140
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
How much brake fluid is required for the E90/E92 M3? Is there a shelf life?
It takes about 2-1/2 500mL bottles. Shelf life of an unopened bottle is indefinite. I wouldn't use an opened bottle again after a few days as the fluid starts to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. Quality brake fluid is packaged and sealed in an inert dry nitrogen atmosphere. The cheap stuff is packaged in air (not good!).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #141
aus
Major General
118
Rep
7,418
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Chris, is AP part of Brembo? I thought I read somewhere AP is under the Brembo umbrella now???

Thanks for the good info here.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #142
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,663
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Chris, is AP part of Brembo? I thought I read somewhere AP is under the Brembo umbrella now???

Thanks for the good info here.

.
Brembo purchased AP several years ago.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #143
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Chris, is AP part of Brembo? I thought I read somewhere AP is under the Brembo umbrella now???

Thanks for the good info here.
The ownership of Brembo purchased AP Racing back in 1999 to avoid its hostile takeover by another family member. It is a long story that should be told over a few beers as it includes money, women, power and a very well-known German sports car manufacturer. Maybe they will write a book about it some day!

Today, both brands still run completely separately (AP being based in the UK and Brembo in Italy). They both compete, but have to answer to the same guy at the end of the day. Essentially, the customers of both companies benefit as neither can sit on their laurels.

The way it tends to work is that Brembo is more set up for higher volume manufacturing (think: Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, GM, Chrysler, BMW, plus Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.), plus their solid racing programs. AP Racing is either top-level racing (F1, NASCAR, LeMans, Daytona Prototypes, FIA GT, SuperGT and so on) or limited-production supercars such as Bugatti, Gumpert, Lotus, McLaren, Spyker, Koenigsegg, Ultima, Noble, Rossion, Tramontana, Caparo, GTA, Pagani and a bunch more. The smaller manufacturers like the intimate engineering team that is equipped for more rapid response and custom-tailored programs.

Both companies make excellent equipment, but don't share much data at all. For their part, the Brembo group did end up with the leading manufacturer of racing clutches in the world, avoiding the cost of their own development program had they chosen to create one.

Sorry for the wordy (but very abbreviated) answer, but a simple "yes" does not really convey the essence of what transpired.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #144
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,663
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
The ownership of Brembo purchased AP Racing back in 1999 to avoid its hostile takeover by another family member. It is a long story that should be told over a few beers as it includes money, women, power and a very well-known German sports car manufacturer. Maybe they will write a book about it some day!

Today, both brands still run completely separately (AP being based in the UK and Brembo in Italy). They both compete, but have to answer to the same guy at the end of the day. Essentially, the customers of both companies benefit as neither can sit on their laurels.

The way it tends to work is that Brembo is more set up for higher volume manufacturing (think: Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, GM, Chrysler, BMW, plus Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.), plus their solid racing programs. AP Racing is either top-level racing (F1, NASCAR, LeMans, Daytona Prototypes, FIA GT, SuperGT and so on) or limited-production supercars such as Bugatti, Gumpert, Lotus, McLaren, Spyker, Koenigsegg, Ultima, Noble, Rossion, Tramontana, Caparo, GTA, Pagani and a bunch more. The smaller manufacturers like the intimate engineering team that is equipped for more rapid response and custom-tailored programs.

Both companies make excellent equipment, but don't share much data at all. For their part, the Brembo group did end up with the leading manufacturer of racing clutches in the world, avoiding the cost of their own development program had they chosen to create one.

Sorry for the wordy (but very abbreviated) answer, but a simple "yes" does not really convey the essence of what transpired.

Chris
ha ha, there is always a woman involved, lol.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #145
aus
Major General
118
Rep
7,418
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
The ownership of Brembo purchased AP Racing back in 1999 to avoid its hostile takeover by another family member. It is a long story that should be told over a few beers as it includes money, women, power and a very well-known German sports car manufacturer. Maybe they will write a book about it some day!

Today, both brands still run completely separately (AP being based in the UK and Brembo in Italy). They both compete, but have to answer to the same guy at the end of the day. Essentially, the customers of both companies benefit as neither can sit on their laurels.

The way it tends to work is that Brembo is more set up for higher volume manufacturing (think: Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, GM, Chrysler, BMW, plus Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.), plus their solid racing programs. AP Racing is either top-level racing (F1, NASCAR, LeMans, Daytona Prototypes, FIA GT, SuperGT and so on) or limited-production supercars such as Bugatti, Gumpert, Lotus, McLaren, Spyker, Koenigsegg, Ultima, Noble, Rossion, Tramontana, Caparo, GTA, Pagani and a bunch more. The smaller manufacturers like the intimate engineering team that is equipped for more rapid response and custom-tailored programs.

Both companies make excellent equipment, but don't share much data at all. For their part, the Brembo group did end up with the leading manufacturer of racing clutches in the world, avoiding the cost of their own development program had they chosen to create one.

Sorry for the wordy (but very abbreviated) answer, but a simple "yes" does not really convey the essence of what transpired.

Chris

Thanks Chris. And the bold part above sounds interesting... if you have the time.
Also, didn't you guys also give them a lot of R&D on the ceramic rotors?

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #146
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,663
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Hasn't Brembo also been heavily involved in F1 for many years?
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #147
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks Chris. And the bold part above sounds interesting... if you have the time.
I've probably said too much already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Also, didn't you guys also give them a lot of R&D on the ceramic rotors?
Yes. Stillen and AP Racing collaborated very closely on the CCM rotors for the Nissan R35 GT-R. AP has gained a lot of experience with CCM technology with Bugatti, McLaren, Lotus, GTA, Tramontana and others. The GT-R presented a few particular challenges that Stillen was able to help sort out. Proposed solutions were track tested and joint decisions were reached on final specifications. Stillen makes some of the components and AP makes the rest, short of actual carbon-ceramic rotor themselves (they are a joint effort with an advanced supplier). Should the M3 be next???
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #148
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Hasn't Brembo also been heavily involved in F1 for many years?
Certainly, and with quite a bit of success as well. I'm not sure how many wins, but AP has over 670 wins so far and counting (brakes and/or clutches). I've lost track of how many championships, so I guess I should look that up too!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:05 AM   #149
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,663
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Chris,
Is the AP kit fully floating?
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #150
aus
Major General
118
Rep
7,418
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

What's the wet boiling point of the AP fluid?
I remember LMB saying it's the wet boiling point that determines how often you need to change your fluid.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #151
ff1600
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Sears Point

iTrader: (0)

From Pegasus:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...pID=BRAKEFLUID
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #152
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Chris,
Is the AP kit fully floating?
Better than floating -- the front is strap drive. All the benefits of floating without any of the drawbacks. The rear is bolted.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #153
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
AP Racing - Chris_B's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: E34 540i/6, others
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What's the wet boiling point of the AP fluid?
I remember LMB saying it's the wet boiling point that determines how often you need to change your fluid.
199C / 390F. http://www.apracing.com/info/info.as...uid+Details_48

That is using the SAE J1704 test method (4% moisture). In reality, 4% is a heck of a lot of saturation, well beyond a 2-year change in a closed system.

The rule of thumb is a full flush every 2 years for a street vehicle. For track days, a quick flush after every event. I like to do a quick bleed the night before an event just to make sure what is in the caliper is fresh and any trapped air is out.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #154
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
mastek's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,597
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
While no aftermarket brake company will "guarantee" their components can never be overheated (you or I could kill any of them in less than 30 minutes if either of us was immature enough to want to do so), major manufacturers with a long history and a solid reputation will stand behind their product. It is no different with these. The great thing about choosing a manufacturer who is dominant in racing, some of the new developments do make it into the aftermarket parts. For one example, the seal materials now used in the AP Racing road calipers are the same as what was used in professional racing just 5 years ago. Also, AP Racing supplies many OE manufacturers, so they are very familiar with concerns over warranty claims. They have been around that block many, many times.

All that said, I have seen very little in the way of "cooked" components over the years, especially over the last 3 years. Most of which were related to incorrectly adjusted brake pedal or master cylinders, pad fitment problems or installation issues. The rare cases which were related to manufacturing or quality issues were resolved -- after all, nobody is perfect. That doesn't mean someone can't cook these, but there is sufficient thermal capacity to handle serious track days without worry. Aside from that, I am very comfortable in having you get feedback from people already using them as opposed to relying on what I'm telling you.



Front: AP Racing (ref.) - CP3894D51, Mintex - 1850, Ferodo - FRP3054, Hawk - HB122x.710.

Rear: AP Racing (ref.) - CP6600D55, Mintex - 2207, Ferodo - FRP3083.

There are plenty more as both of these shapes have been around for a while, so your favorite pad manufacturer can use these numbers to find a cross.

Chris
Thanks Chris,

Thanks for the info.
Local support means a great deal ---

I'm still on the fence between the StopTech Trophy 4-pot 355mm kit..... and yours
I had a chance to look @ the StopTech Trophy kit at the race track last weekend ... it was very impressive, super-lightweight & forged.
Your kit wins in the rotor size, rotor design & 2 extra pistons .......

Now if I could only have the best of both worlds.... hmmmm
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST