BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
hiimwayne
Private
 
hiimwayne's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 89
iTrader: (1)

2011 Infiniti G25 gets 2.5 turbo

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...auto-show.html

Wow looks good reliable and power should be about north of 250 while still getting good gas mileage. Rather this than the slow 328 or 330. I want one for a DD!
hiimwayne is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
MTV
Banned
 
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,906
iTrader: (1)

Everyone's going turbo
MTV is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Ender514
General
 
Ender514's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

Posts: 21,002
iTrader: (0)

its a good idea
__________________
09' E92 335i | 6MT | Montego Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Sirius | Comfort Access | iPod and USB adapter
Ender514 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimwayne View Post
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...auto-show.html

Wow looks good reliable and power should be about north of 250 while still getting good gas mileage. Rather this than the slow 328 or 330. I want one for a DD!
x2 not that the 328 is bad but it's just too expensive for what it is. In canada we even got the terrible 323I. I like seeing alternatives. Thinking about it...it might be the best car for the money $$$. I can't wait to see the next gen Lexus IS. The only brand that is going nowhere is Acura
__________________
Originally Posted by corneredbeast
An engine from a Z06 Corvette. A differential from a Vespa. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
EJ2000
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 G37
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

The 2.5L Turbo is offered in the Japanese market Skylines (G37) and I believe it is rated at 260 horsepower and 280 ft-lbs.

However, that doesn't leave a ton of separation between the current VQ V6 and the smaller turbo 6. My hope is that this is an indicator that they will be twin-turboing a VQ variant to the upper 300s in horsepower to keep the separation between engine specs. Just remember, until the 335i came around, a big selling point of the G was class-leading horsepower/quickness and it had a significant edge in that department.
EJ2000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2000 View Post
The 2.5L Turbo is offered in the Japanese market Skylines (G37) and I believe it is rated at 260 horsepower and 280 ft-lbs.

However, that doesn't leave a ton of separation between the current VQ V6 and the smaller turbo 6. My hope is that this is an indicator that they will be twin-turboing a VQ variant to the upper 300s in horsepower to keep the separation between engine specs. Just remember, until the 335i came around, a big selling point of the G was class-leading horsepower/quickness and it had a significant edge in that department.
They just have to do what they did with the VQ35 and VQ35HR and bump the G37 hp to 350.
__________________
Originally Posted by corneredbeast
An engine from a Z06 Corvette. A differential from a Vespa. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
EJ2000
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 G37
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
They just have to do what they did with the VQ35 and VQ35HR and bump the G37 hp to 350.
True - the Nismo 370Z does already have 350. I guess other than adding turbos, The VQ engine in the G37 is not yet direct injected either, so maybe that would get them above 350 horsepower. Considering how little help (if any) breathing mods do to the VQ37VHR, they are nearing the limit without going FI, DI, or both.
EJ2000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
 
SantaPimp27's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow homie
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jersey

Posts: 412
iTrader: (1)

i would take a 2.5 liter turbo over a v6. hopefully it will be easy to make power with
__________________
SantaPimp27 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
 
Drives: 08' 328i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 90036

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (0)

This is really good news.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
san~man
Tired
 
san~man's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (7)

Oops, they messed up:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-no-turbo.html
__________________
BMW-less
san~man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
 
Muffnbluff's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW 335is
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: STL

Posts: 782
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Aaaaaand now this car sucks. Thread killer.
Muffnbluff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
san~man
Tired
 
san~man's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Aaaaaand now this car sucks. Thread killer.
Don't shoot the messenger lol 
__________________
BMW-less
san~man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
EJ2000
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 G37
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Weak....

It's still a V6 - how good of fuel economy do they expect to get? Adding direct injection to the VQ could probably put the G above 30 anyway. Sure the price will be lower - but Infiniti doesn't really need to move down-market. If they want to go after the 1 series or 328, they should make a new, smaller car (use the shortened FM platform in the Z??)
EJ2000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Xyloft
Lieutenant
 
Xyloft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW 128i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio

Posts: 414
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
Everyone's going turbo
bout time.

hopefully turbo cars will have a long heyday before the next drivetrain makes turbo's a thing of the past


*edit - just read the last few posts.... doh
Xyloft is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
hiimwayne
Private
 
hiimwayne's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 89
iTrader: (1)

Crap no turbos? Still rather this than an ugly e90 328i
hiimwayne is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #16
boymonkey
Lieutenant
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 536
iTrader: (0)

Sucks that it has no turbo and makes less power than 328i. It's still good to have the option though. But Infiniti really should've brought more to the table.
boymonkey is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
Sucks that it has no turbo and makes less power than 328i. It's still good to have the option though. But Infiniti really should've brought more to the table.
?
__________________
Originally Posted by corneredbeast
An engine from a Z06 Corvette. A differential from a Vespa. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST