BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Arrow StopTech 380mm/355mm BBK Review

Finally got my BBK today. First, I wanted to thank Ron************ for giving me an unbelievable price Thanks Ron!

I will be installing these when my Motons get fixed (whenever that will be... ) Here are some shots for your entertainment.

Just one thought: the front 380mm disc is HUGE! I have never seen a disc this big in my life!

A couple reasons why I got this particular kit:
1. Good bang for the buck. Good experience and proven track record.
2. 380mm six pot front for better heat management vs. Smaller kits.
3. Slotted for track use.
4. Two piece/removeable steel bridge design for easy pad swaps vs. one piece fixed bridge design.
Attached Images
  
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete

Last edited by rzm3; 01-12-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Arrow Front Caliper

Front ST60 6-pot.
Attached Images
    
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Arrow Rear Caliper

Rear ST40 4-pot.
Attached Images
   
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,662
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Congrats.
What rims are you going to use for the track now with the 380mm disc? Require 19s to clear them no?
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Install
So after quite a few weeks I finally got a chance to complete the install of the StopTech BBK. Everything went smoothly, and ST's detailed installation instructions were very helpful.

The only tricky part was disconnecting/reconnecting the brake lines w/o making too much of a mess. I would also not disconnect the stock line until you are ready to install the new caliper/line to minimize fluid loss. (instruction said to remove the stock caliper and line as the first step, then remove stock disc, install ST disk, brake bracket, new caliper, and then install new caliper/line... too much time in between)

As for the dust shields, I completely removed the fronts for better cooling, and only slightly trimmed the rears (instead of trimming them completely per the instructions)

I also replaced all of the nuts and bolts that needed to be reused per BMW instructions.

The "+"
True Plug 'n Play kit. Only minor modification to the dust shields were needed
Detailed instructions
Excellent fit and finish

The "-"
Needed to wash off dust inhibitor from rotors before installation

The Verdict
Very thoughtfully made kit, excellent design and craftsmanship. Love the instructions. Thanks to Ron************ for a great deal! Let's see how they will hold up on the track!

Front kit installtion manual: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ma...60.16D0.01.pdf
Reat kit installtion manual: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ma...60.1471.00.pdf

More kit pictures: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339849
Attached Images
       
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete

Last edited by rzm3; 02-12-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,662
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Still going to use my 19" RS-D. Downloaded StopTech's caliper template and there should be quite a bit of clearance.
Nice, looking forward to your install and review.

Going to be ordering the 365/345 Brembo kit myself next week.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
slipstream's Avatar
8
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Nice, looking forward to your install and review.

Going to be ordering the 365/345 Brembo kit myself next week.
Just curious why you decided on the smaller Brembo kit? Are you planning on tracking your car with 18s (not your RG63s)?

[Apologies to the OP for going off topic. Your brakes look great!]
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,662
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
Just curious why you decided on the smaller Brembo kit? Are you planning on tracking your car with 18s (not your RG63s)?

[Apologies to the OP for going off topic. Your brakes look great!]
I would prefer to use 18s for track and winter.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
JAJ
Captain
17
Rep
933
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Rear ST40 4-pot.
The Stoptech kit is very well made. You'll like it!

Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I would prefer to use 18s for track and winter.
Yup if you are running slicks, 18s are the way to go.

Some 18s will clear the 380mm, some will not. It is really on a case by case basis.

Many have said that smaller kits (365, 355, or less depending on manufacturer) for the front is a good middle ground between size/weight and heat capacity/management.

But I got the 380mm kit due to my concern for heat management.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #11
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
yamazaho's Avatar
Taiwan
88
Rep
6,957
Posts

 
Drives: 12' E92 335is, 15' W205
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.88]
Send a message via Skype™ to yamazaho
Nice upgrade, waiting for installed pictures!!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Excellent brake system upgrade. (especially for the track)

I had Stop Tech's 355mm front and rear BBK on my E46 M3 for four years.

They never disappointed me once.

*STALKER*: You are wasting your money going with a 365mm Brembo BBK. (front)

You know you want the increased thermal capacity (and superior braking leverage) of the larger 380mm steel friction surface.

Just buy the 380mm BBK front and rear. I can recommend a set of high quality 18" track wheels that are guaranteed to fit over them without spacers. (with the proper clearances)

PM me for details, so we don't contaminate rldzhao's brake thread.
__________________
The best is yet to come...

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 01-12-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Looking really good. You will have a nice understated/OEM type of look. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
dawgdog
Colonel
dawgdog's Avatar
28
Rep
2,177
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.

iTrader: (0)

Looks like a really nice kit. Was certainly high on my list.
__________________
2015 f80 M3, 2010 GR3RS
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Very nice I plan on going the same route!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
RickyBobby's Avatar
14
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

Nice looking brakes!
Curious as to why you upgraded. Were you having problems with your stock brakes or is this just a safety margin? I've owned two sets of stoptechs in the past and was very happy with them (I put their kids through college from rotor purchases alone)
I was hoping to get by without a BBK on the M. So far I feel like I'm borderline with race pads but am hopeful that some sort of ducting will get me by. Running 19's is not an option for me. What kind of tires are you running on the track?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #17
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Excellent brake system upgrade. (especially for the track)

I had Stop Tech's 355mm front and rear BBK on my E46 M3 for four years.

They never disappointed me once.

*STALKER*: You are wasting your money going with a 365mm Brembo BBK. (front)

You know you want the increased thermal capacity (and superior braking leverage) of the larger 380mm steel friction surface.

Just buy the 380mm BBK front and rear. I can recommend a set of high quality 18" track wheels that are guaranteed to fit over them without spacers. (with the proper clearances)

PM me for details, so we don't contaminate rldzhao's brake thread.
care to elaborate why?
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #18
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Nice looking brakes!
Curious as to why you upgraded. Were you having problems with your stock brakes or is this just a safety margin? I've owned two sets of stoptechs in the past and was very happy with them (I put their kids through college from rotor purchases alone)
I was hoping to get by without a BBK on the M. So far I feel like I'm borderline with race pads but am hopeful that some sort of ducting will get me by. Running 19's is not an option for me. What kind of tires are you running on the track?
Due to the overheating of stock brakes, I've adapted to braking early to reduce the rate of energy input into the rotors. I do still get some issues on long straightaways. Since the Motons are supposed to make me go even faster, I had to get them upgraded

There are 18s that fit the 380mm front kit, which I chose over 355mm kit for heat management. From others on the forums these should be more than adequate.

I run RE-11s on my car. May switch to Yokohama later. Not getting slicks because I do not have a truck or a trailer. Also slicks are very hard to control at the limit.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
RickyBobby's Avatar
14
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Due to the overheating of stock brakes, I've adapted to braking early to reduce the rate of energy input into the rotors. I do still get some issues on long straightaways. Since the Motons are supposed to make me go even faster, I had to get them upgraded

There are 18s that fit the 380mm front kit, which I chose over 355mm kit for heat management. From others on the forums these should be more than adequate.
Gotcha, I guess I'm being hopeful that my stock calipers will do the job. I was able to get a slight bit of fade and my front rotors did get some good surface cracks, but I'm still not ready to give up on the old single pistons just yet. I did feel that the stopping distance was a bit long with the stock brakes and have a hunch that the fronts were doing too much work. I'm sure the stoptech's thow a bit more bias rearward for more overall stopping power.

Do those 380mm's work with the stock 18's?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #20
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,819
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Great brakes!!! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #21
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Gotcha, I guess I'm being hopeful that my stock calipers will do the job. I was able to get a slight bit of fade and my front rotors did get some good surface cracks, but I'm still not ready to give up on the old single pistons just yet. I did feel that the stopping distance was a bit long with the stock brakes and have a hunch that the fronts were doing too much work. I'm sure the stoptech's thow a bit more bias rearward for more overall stopping power.

Do those 380mm's work with the stock 18's?
don't think so...
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #22
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
mastek's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,594
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (15)

Curious??
Why u didn't choose the lighter and more heat-resistant 'Trophy Kit' ?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST