BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #23
enigma
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

Posts: 689
iTrader: (0)

That car is ugly. I know I am not the target market for these tuners.

Rather than dump all that money into a 335 to make it look better I would just buy the M3. Or if I wanted something more unique, a Vantage V8.

Its the BMW equilivent of spending 30 grand tuning a civic. In the end you still have a civic. I realize that a lot of the tuner market is about having "style" personally I would rather have "class".
__________________
Manual gearboxes, the rotary dial of cars.
enigma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2006, 01:46 AM   #24
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (0)

Agreed, I am not a huge fan of that.
Last E92 M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #25
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
That car is ugly. I know I am not the target market for these tuners.

Rather than dump all that money into a 335 to make it look better I would just buy the M3. Or if I wanted something more unique, a Vantage V8.

Its the BMW equilivent of spending 30 grand tuning a civic. In the end you still have a civic. I realize that a lot of the tuner market is about having "style" personally I would rather have "class".
The M3 is a tuner 3-series.
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
enigma
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

Posts: 689
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
The M3 is a tuner 3-series.
Sorry, but if it comes from the factory with a full warranty then its not a tuner car.

A tuner car is something that has been modified after it left the factory.
__________________
Manual gearboxes, the rotary dial of cars.
enigma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #27
replicat
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 40MPG
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

The chassis' seam welds, suspension, high-revving engine, and not to mention countless hours of Nurburgring testing earn it more than the name "tuner 3-series."

The Nissan Altima SE-R is a tuner car. Lol, I kid..
replicat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #28
mafreemn
Registered
 
Drives: VW R32
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Its interesting to see all the M3 guys comment on the new 335; it just shows how much of a great car the 335 is. Before this car, the regular 3 series was well behind the competition in terms of striaght line performance. BMW now actually sells a performance car that is somewhat of a value. M3 Coupe's price will probably be north of 60k with the V8. The car will probably weigh 250 pounds more than the 335 (3750 lbs I am guessing). Assuming the 335 gets a decent sport suspension package later, it becomes a tough choice. The 335 will be more balanced and lighter. You never really can tune one of these M motors without spending serious money and worrying about reliability. Now the 335 can be tuned very easily. BMW builds great engines and now it can actually be exploited. M guys will go for the M3 and I think the 335 will attract new people into BMW show rooms. The new crowd will love the torque of that turbo car, love it at the pump, and love the value. The M car will be great, but the 335 is the better choice in my opinion. If you are in that 60-70k range, go buy a Z06........torque, V8 and light weight........and will run circles around most anything......
mafreemn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #29
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafreemn View Post
Its interesting to see all the M3 guys comment on the new 335; it just shows how much of a great car the 335 is. Before this car, the regular 3 series was well behind the competition in terms of striaght line performance. BMW now actually sells a performance car that is somewhat of a value. M3 Coupe's price will probably be north of 60k with the V8. The car will probably weigh 250 pounds more than the 335 (3750 lbs I am guessing). Assuming the 335 gets a decent sport suspension package later, it becomes a tough choice. The 335 will be more balanced and lighter. You never really can tune one of these M motors without spending serious money and worrying about reliability. Now the 335 can be tuned very easily. BMW builds great engines and now it can actually be exploited. M guys will go for the M3 and I think the 335 will attract new people into BMW show rooms. The new crowd will love the torque of that turbo car, love it at the pump, and love the value. The M car will be great, but the 335 is the better choice in my opinion. If you are in that 60-70k range, go buy a Z06........torque, V8 and light weight........and will run circles around most anything......
I highly doubt that the E90 M will weigh anywhere near 3750 lbs. Although the Z06 is a great value, it's just to barbaric and cheaply made for me. Just because it's fast doesn't make it good. it is fast though, so is a Dodge Viper; why not include that?

I drove the 335i and thought it was a very nice car. It did nothing to excite me as a sports car should. It would be a fantastic daily driver. The E46 M may be a little slower around certain tracks with the right pro driver but, I'm sure in reality, it's a toss up. As far as feedback, the E46 runs circles around the 335 (imo), which made/makes it so much fun. I didn't get that with the 335i.

I would guess that the E90 will come in at $62-$63K well optioned. An equally equipped 335i is all of $48k. I'm sure the new M will be more than worth the extra $15k.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #30
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,676
iTrader: (4)

I hope your right about the price. I would have no problem spending 62K on a well optioned E92 M3. With the new engine, which will most likely be fantastic, great looks, and the prestige of owning an M, I think the new M3 will be well worth 62K optioned.

However, if we are all wrong and the price is more like 60K base and well optioned is more like 68K or 70K then I may be waiting for a 335 M sport with a software tune.

Jason
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2007, 01:15 AM   #31
e36jakeo
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern CA

Posts: 624
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I highly doubt that the E90 M will weigh anywhere near 3750 lbs. Although the Z06 is a great value, it's just to barbaric and cheaply made for me. Just because it's fast doesn't make it good. it is fast though, so is a Dodge Viper; why not include that?

I drove the 335i and thought it was a very nice car. It did nothing to excite me as a sports car should. It would be a fantastic daily driver. The E46 M may be a little slower around certain tracks with the right pro driver but, I'm sure in reality, it's a toss up. As far as feedback, the E46 runs circles around the 335 (imo), which made/makes it so much fun. I didn't get that with the 335i.

I would guess that the E90 will come in at $62-$63K well optioned. An equally equipped 335i is all of $48k. I'm sure the new M will be more than worth the extra $15k.
A well-optioned E46 M3 is in the high $50Ks, so I think $65K or more for a well-optioned E92 M3. But here's hopin'!

You can say what you want about the Z06's interior (a bit low rent) but it is hard to argue with the technology they put into that car (carbon fiber fenders, balsa wood floors, aluminum frame, dry-sump oil, HUGE brakes and calipers) to get it to be the svelt 3130 lb, 505 HP beast that it is. You might want to drive one before you rule it out . . .

re. the Viper, IMHO, the Z06 is so much better for so much less $$.

The 335i with an aftermarket limit slip diff, XEDE reflash (380 crank HP, 400+ lb/ft torque) and aftermarket coil over suspension (total cost = $6K) will probably keep up with the E92 M3 on the track and anywhere else. The suspension will make it have a very similar feel to the M3 and perhaps better handling (depending on how well set up the suspension is). Total cost for a well-equipped 335i with these mods = $51K.

I will not pull the 335i trigger until I get to see just how awesome the E92 M3 is (and to allow for some aftermarket parts develp. for the 335i), but it better be damn good to justify the extra $10K or more.
e36jakeo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #32
kyotousa
Banned
 
Drives: Acura TSX
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Lastly, there's no way a $2-3k ECU upgrade is going to yield 425 BHP. To get that kind of power you are going to have to invest much more. Remember whatever addtional HP you that you believe is lurking @ the rear wheels is also @ the M's rear wheels.
uh....apparently you haven't seen somehting like this

turbo for the win

ECU+ suspension +rotor and pad upgrade is enough for daily driver
we don't track or street race all day long........I am just saying hopefully BMW will make M3 as fast as it can be when it's out of factory.
kyotousa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #33
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
A well-optioned E46 M3 is in the high $50Ks, so I think $65K or more for a well-optioned E92 M3. But here's hopin'!

You can say what you want about the Z06's interior (a bit low rent) but it is hard to argue with the technology they put into that car (carbon fiber fenders, balsa wood floors, aluminum frame, dry-sump oil, HUGE brakes and calipers) to get it to be the svelt 3130 lb, 505 HP beast that it is. You might want to drive one before you rule it out . . .

re. the Viper, IMHO, the Z06 is so much better for so much less $$.

The 335i with an aftermarket limit slip diff, XEDE reflash (380 crank HP, 400+ lb/ft torque) and aftermarket coil over suspension (total cost = $6K) will probably keep up with the E92 M3 on the track and anywhere else. The suspension will make it have a very similar feel to the M3 and perhaps better handling (depending on how well set up the suspension is). Total cost for a well-equipped 335i with these mods = $51K.

I will not pull the 335i trigger until I get to see just how awesome the E92 M3 is (and to allow for some aftermarket parts develp. for the 335i), but it better be damn good to justify the extra $10K or more.

I guess what it is that you consider well-optioned. Each of E46 Ms were, what I would call well-optioned @$54k.

If I am wrong and the M hits $70, I'm buying an 08 Carrera S ( rumored to get 375-380 hp) with a weight of about about 3200lbs. It's pricey, but it a single focus sports car.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #34
Norsk
Major
 
Norsk's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (0)

Well it's kinda cute reading all this back and forth on the 335 vs the M3.

Let's just say, that it's not all just about power. Just as a nicely loaded 550 is simply not an M5. A tunned E90/E92 335i will simply not be an E90/E92 M3

So if you got the cash, like the flash and want 400+HP -> Get the M3

If you don't have the cash or your better half will hang you out to dry if you spent that kind of dough on a car --> Get the 335i

But the M3 will beat even a Vishnu tunned 335
Norsk is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #35
MisterBMW
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Asia

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
If you don't have the cash or your better half will hang you out to dry if you spent that kind of dough on a car --> get the 335

But the M3 will beat even a Vishnu tunned 335
The best post so far

MisterBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #36
MisterBMW
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Asia

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post
uh....apparently you haven't seen somehting like this

turbo for the win

ECU+ suspension +rotor and pad upgrade is enough for daily driver
we don't track or street race all day long........I am just saying hopefully BMW will make M3 as fast as it can be when it's out of factory.
Does anyone believe one fine day BMW-M cars will be turbo-charged. All it takes is a competitor such as AUDI to TC their next RS-4 and the rest to follow? If BMW non-M makes such a wonderful TC 335, why wouldnt BMW-M make a TC M3?

I know I sound like a
MisterBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #37
Smoltz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Live Free or Die

Posts: 464
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBMW View Post
Does anyone believe one fine day BMW-M cars will be turbo-charged. All it takes is a competitor such as AUDI to TC their next RS-4 and the rest to follow? If BMW non-M makes such a wonderful TC 335, why wouldnt BMW-M make a TC M3?

I know I sound like a


What are you talking about? MB and Audi have been using forced induction for years in the cars that compete with the M cars and BMW is still using Naturally aspirated cars. Nothing wil change in the NEAR future.

-Adam
Smoltz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #38
e36jakeo
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern CA

Posts: 624
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
What are you talking about? MB and Audi have been using forced induction for years in the cars that compete with the M cars and BMW is still using Naturally aspirated cars. Nothing wil change in the NEAR future.

-Adam
Exactly. MB just changed BACK to N/A with their 6.2 liter V8 in all the AMG cars. BTW, I'd take that engine over the M5's V10 anyday. More torque, better sound, still a wonderful 7200 redline. And the current RS4 is the first RS Audi NOT to use Turbos (as far as I know).
e36jakeo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #39
MisterBMW
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Asia

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Exactly. MB just changed BACK to N/A with their 6.2 liter V8 in all the AMG cars. BTW, I'd take that engine over the M5's V10 anyday. More torque, better sound, still a wonderful 7200 redline. And the current RS4 is the first RS Audi NOT to use Turbos (as far as I know).
I am completely ignorant about AUDIs and MERCs

But am learning more on this forum about the ///M
MisterBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #40
enigma
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

Posts: 689
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBMW View Post
If BMW non-M makes such a wonderful TC 335, why wouldnt BMW-M make a TC M3?
The M division values throttle response hightly and you simply cannot get the same level of responsivness from a turbo. A supercharger is an option if done right.

The other issue is FI cars tend to suffer heat soak issue if driven hard for a long time.
__________________
Manual gearboxes, the rotary dial of cars.
enigma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #41
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Exactly. MB just changed BACK to N/A with their 6.2 liter V8 in all the AMG cars. BTW, I'd take that engine over the M5's V10 anyday. More torque, better sound, still a wonderful 7200 redline. And the current RS4 is the first RS Audi NOT to use Turbos (as far as I know).

And the AMG engineers at the AMG fest in Atlanta this past fall went on record as regretting the change to the SLOWER 63(in a straight line) due to various governmental regulations. That was directly from the horses mouth, so to speak. Of course, they emphasized the new AMG's vast improvements in the suspension and braking areas as making a better overall car...

BTW, what is/was the most dominant road race car of all time and what kind of engine did it use?
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2007, 11:57 PM   #42
SpencerM3
Sauce
 
SpencerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (1)

Assuming the E90 335i is tuned out the box similar to that of the E46 330ci (meaning not much more to be squeezed out), there's not much short of a supercharger or Dinan Stage III that would get the 335i anywhere in the relm of the M3
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
SpencerM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #43
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,676
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Assuming the E90 335i is tuned out the box similar to that of the E46 330ci (meaning not much more to be squeezed out), there's not much short of a supercharger or Dinan Stage III that would get the 335i anywhere in the relm of the M3
Your comment leads me to believe that you have not spent much time in the Forced Induction/335i section on E90post.com....

Jason
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #44
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
BTW, what is/was the most dominant road race car of all time and what kind of engine did it use?
Since no one answered, it's the Porsche 956/962 Twin (or single) Turbo.
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST