BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Widespread SMG problems - M5

I have already decided (based on an early E46 M dirve) that I want SMG. I have also heard about the fairly widespread SMGIII problems on the M5. I hope this means that the SMG that makes it into the E90 M3 will have all the problems isolated and totally worked out. Some of the M5 guys had hydraulics, gearbox, clutch and flywheel replaced MULTIPLE times. Man I would be pissed. Have a look here if you want to read more: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sea...archid=1046638 . In the end probably bad for them, good for us.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

I like a good ol' stick and clutch pedal... if you drive it right, shouldn't have problems... SMG is so complicated and that scares me
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
17
Rep
1,507
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

link doesnt work...but...
i am sure that new m3 will have just as many problems as m5 considering the new m3 will get "modified" smg III
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
replicat
Lieutenant
9
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 40MPG
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

When did we get the info saying that the W92 would be getting a modified SMGIII?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
17
Rep
1,507
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Well, I saw couple other threads and it seemed like there might be a chance of getting SMGIV or whatever, something better than what it's out there right now.
I mean come on, none of these info over the internet is NOT guaranteed outcome. If you ask me where I got the information, I got nothing to say other than other people. haha
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
enigma
Captain
6
Rep
689
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

iTrader: (0)

I wouldn't worry about SMG problems. Some have had issues but its not widespread. I have had my SMG II car since Jan 02 and never a fault. If there are real issue, they will get worked out.
__________________
Manual gearboxes, the rotary dial of cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Link, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
link doesnt work...but...
i am sure that new m3 will have just as many problems as m5 considering the new m3 will get "modified" smg III
Sorry about the link. I did test it but now I see it does not work. Just got to to: http://www.m5board.com then to the E60 M5 message board then to search, advanced search, titles, SMG.

Enigma: As I stated, despite the problems, widespread or not, I am still going to go for SMG for sure. I suspect they have had enough time with E46 and E60 SMG to get most kinks worked out. I have only driven SMGII a couple times and already love it. Just really hoping the E90 M3 does not have any major engine nor tranny problems. I do think BMW reputation on reliability has slipped a bit from these situations.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
ILC32
Lieutenant
ILC32's Avatar
18
Rep
580
Posts

 
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

No SMG Problems Here, Either

The SMG II in my 2003 M3 has been problem-free so far. It is fun on the street and really fantastic on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
17
Rep
1,507
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I just hate to go to dealers for any reasons thats the bottom line lol
I mean BMW does high quality works but still...
Anyways, glad to hear that!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
monsta
Brigadier General
monsta's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
3,591
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen County, NJ/Y.O, NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I have already decided (based on an early E46 M dirve) that I want SMG. I have also heard about the fairly widespread SMGIII problems on the M5. I hope this means that the SMG that makes it into the E90 M3 will have all the problems isolated and totally worked out. Some of the M5 guys had hydraulics, gearbox, clutch and flywheel replaced MULTIPLE times. Man I would be pissed. Have a look here if you want to read more: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sea...archid=1046638 . In the end probably bad for them, good for us.
I personally know about 15 E60 M5 guys in the NY/NJ area none have had any issues w/ SMG, this being stated I would take my chances w/ SMG (I'm #2 at my dealer but I'm still really on the fence on getting stick/SMG, leaning towards stick since it won't be my daily driver) btw I'm also a member of M5 board (DucatiBMW) & have read every post regarding this issue since I was in the market for an M5...IMHO mostly a problem w/ the early builds, so yeah basically they may have been a bit of guinea pigs for the future M3 w/ SMGIII modified or whatever, they should have it right for our early build hopefully (if I go SMG)


Bill
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,640
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
SMG issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
I personally know about 15 E60 M5 guys in the NY/NJ area none have had any issues w/ SMG, this being stated I would take my chances w/ SMG (I'm #2 at my dealer but I'm still really on the fence on getting stick/SMG, leaning towards stick since it won't be my daily driver) btw I'm also a member of M5 board (DucatiBMW) & have read every post regarding this issue since I was in the market for an M5...IMHO mostly a problem w/ the early builds, so yeah basically they may have been a bit of guinea pigs for the future M3 w/ SMGIII modified or whatever, they should have it right for our early build hopefully (if I go SMG)

Bill
I have a manual E46 M3, but have not heard about too many SMG problems on the multiple E46 M3 boards I frequent. There are bound to be more problems than with a full manual, but they don't seem to be inordinate. That being said, I'm not sure which way I'll go when the time comes.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
enigma
Captain
6
Rep
689
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

iTrader: (0)

With the E46, the introduction of SMG II actually forced BMW to look into the engine issues. They had been blaming the manual owners for overreving the engines. When the SMG cars came out and were continuing to explode, they ran out of excuses.

BMW: You must have overreved it.
Customer: Then either your rev-limiter or SMG gearbox is defective. Either way fix my car.
__________________
Manual gearboxes, the rotary dial of cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
17
Rep
1,507
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
With the E46, the introduction of SMG II actually forced BMW to look into the engine issues. They had been blaming the manual owners for overreving the engines. When the SMG cars came out and were continuing to explode, they ran out of excuses.

BMW: You must have overreved it.
Customer: Then either your rev-limiter or SMG gearbox is defective. Either way fix my car.
hahaha! can you say...OWNED? haha
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #14
replicat
Lieutenant
9
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 40MPG
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

BMW: You must have overreved it.
Customer: Then either your rev-limiter or SMG gearbox is defective. Either way fix my car.

Bwahaha! That was the best...It made me lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,640
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
SMG & overrevs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
With the E46, the introduction of SMG II actually forced BMW to look into the engine issues. They had been blaming the manual owners for overreving the engines. When the SMG cars came out and were continuing to explode, they ran out of excuses.

BMW: You must have overreved it.
Customer: Then either your rev-limiter or SMG gearbox is defective. Either way fix my car.
That is a good benefit of the SMG, especially on the track--no "money" mis-shifts.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST