BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
anees
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 330i Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Indication of the new M3

Ok guys,

if this report is true, then the new M3 had better be bloody fast. 298kw V8 might just not be enough to beat the new Audi RS4.

And any ECU upgraded Subaru WRX STi will give the new M3 a hard time!

I trust this information to be true, as South Africa imports to the rest of the world, aside from Germany.

Also, I don't quite like the back of this coupe...maybe it will grow on me

Go here for the news.....

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...919147,00.html
anees is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
ogrady
Lieutenant
 
ogrady's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 09 335
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rhode Island

Posts: 473
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anees
Ok guys,

if this report is true, then the new M3 had better be bloody fast. 298kw V8 might just not be enough to beat the new Audi RS4.

And any ECU upgraded Subaru WRX STi will give the new M3 a hard time!

I trust this information to be true, as South Africa imports to the rest of the world, aside from Germany.

Also, I don't quite like the back of this coupe...maybe it will grow on me

Go here for the news.....

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...919147,00.html
400hp V8 from BMW will be a monssster! This car is going to wreck anything in its way.
ogrady is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
schuyler
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmodl
I do think it will uotperform the Audi due to the fact that 4 wheel drive cars tend to be on the heavier side so if you compare power to weight ratio I think the M will have the advantage. Also if you have 2 cars with the same amount of Hp, one turbo and the other N/A I will take the N/A any day.
From what I keep reading and hearing people say is that the M3 will use weightsaving materials like they used for the M6. Gonna be interesting to see what the power-to-weight ratio of the new M3 is compared to the RS4
 
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
lobstah
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler
From what I keep reading and hearing people say is that the M3 will use weightsaving materials like they used for the M6. Gonna be interesting to see what the power-to-weight ratio of the new M3 is compared to the RS4
Yes it seems the M3 will push the envelope even further then the M6 on use of lightened materials. It will be interesting to see what is done.

Heres a recap of what BMW has done:

E46M3 : CF bumper hangers, lightened alu hood/trunk.
E46M3CSL : CF Roof, interior trim, First production use of SMC for front/rear bumper pieces. BMW was happy with the customer response to this material (paint looks a little weird on it, just a little). Lightened rear bumper space (cardboard?! like material)
M6: More extensive use of SMC material, and use of hollowed and strengthned suspension arms. Larger size of vehicle negated many of the efforts towards lightweight materials, more extreem M6CSL is planned to really take advantage of lighterweight technology

E92M3: We will see what would be next, but probably some lightweight body panels. This is the direction BMW seems to be going, so the next step would be to move from the bumpers to other parts of the body. I also believe alot of the undercarriage of the car will recieve the lightening treatment, so that this car will appear as a large GT car, but will be fairly light around the track. We shall see.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
YYimports
First Lieutenant
 
YYimports's Avatar
 
Drives: TitanSilver E90
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstah
Yes it seems the M3 will push the envelope even further then the M6 on use of lightened materials. It will be interesting to see what is done.

Heres a recap of what BMW has done:

E46M3 : CF bumper hangers, lightened alu hood/trunk.
E46M3CSL : CF Roof, interior trim, First production use of SMC for front/rear bumper pieces. BMW was happy with the customer response to this material (paint looks a little weird on it, just a little). Lightened rear bumper space (cardboard?! like material)
M6: More extensive use of SMC material, and use of hollowed and strengthned suspension arms. Larger size of vehicle negated many of the efforts towards lightweight materials, more extreem M6CSL is planned to really take advantage of lighterweight technology

E92M3: We will see what would be next, but probably some lightweight body panels. This is the direction BMW seems to be going, so the next step would be to move from the bumpers to other parts of the body. I also believe alot of the undercarriage of the car will recieve the lightening treatment, so that this car will appear as a large GT car, but will be fairly light around the track. We shall see.
The carbon fiber roof on the M6 is pure eye candy I hope that makes it onto the M3 coupe also.
YYimports is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia

Posts: 301
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to aem
I recon the V8 M3 needs to go faster than the M6 (0-60) to have any chance to beat the RS4 (4.7er)
aem is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,370
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
CF roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost8found
The carbon fiber roof on the M6 is pure eye candy I hope that makes it onto the M3 coupe also.
You can bet it will be on the CSL, which will probably come to the US this time, but not the base M3.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
anees
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 330i Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem
I recon the V8 M3 needs to go faster than the M6 (0-60) to have any chance to beat the RS4 (4.7er)
Typically, all M3s have been faster in a 0-100km/h sprint than the M5.
The M5 does the 0-100km/h sprint in 4.7s
The M6 is slightly faster at 4.6s

So, I think the M3 should be around 4.5s. However, the M5 & M6 will definitely catch and beat the V8 powered M3 as they progress through the gears.

Furthermore, how much of a car length difference is 0.1s or 0.2s ? Can anyone give an indication of such a measurement in terms of car length ?

I can understand the difference when it comes to Formula 1 racing..
anees is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M1
 
amdmaxx's Avatar
 
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 1,334
iTrader: (0)

u obviously didnt see latest fifth gear (4th episode).
RS4 walked over e46 M3, cuz awd gave it much better traction..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmodl
I do think it will uotperform the Audi due to the fact that 4 wheel drive cars tend to be on the heavier side so if you compare power to weight ratio I think the M will have the advantage. Also if you have 2 cars with the same amount of Hp, one turbo and the other N/A I will take the N/A any day.
amdmaxx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,370
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx
u obviously didnt see latest fifth gear (4th episode).
RS4 walked over e46 M3, cuz awd gave it much better traction..
You're comparing the brand new Audi with the 6-year old BMW. I think the valid comparison will be with the E92 M3, which I do think will be quicker than the Audi.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
M3Poweraussie
///Mark
 
Drives: Black E46 M3 Convertible
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Queensland, Australia

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

I have no doubt BMW are totally aware of what is at stake here. The M3 has always been internationally recognised as one of the greatest drivers cars ever, and achieved almost cult status. I am sure that the E90 will offer the same proportioned balance as the E46 - upgraded, and ready to take on whatever Audi or MB offer.
M3Poweraussie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto Canada

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Apparently on the M6...one of the big weight savers are the rims.

super light...where did i read this...i cant remember...but i remember reading that.

also...my dad just had his 645 in for service and was talking to the guy at the shop about the carbon fiber roof used on the M6...the guy said that if you ever get a scratch or anything on that roof...there is nothing they can do about it...the only way to fix it is to get a new one.

ouch.
__________________
E93 335i Space Grey/Coral Red w poplar Grey/Sport/Nav/Usb audio/Comfort Access
Pangearox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2006, 02:06 AM   #13
Jack28
HUSTLER
 
Jack28's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So/Ca Los Angeles

Posts: 1,319
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Jack28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangearox
Apparently on the M6...one of the big weight savers are the rims.

super light...where did i read this...i cant remember...but i remember reading that.

also...my dad just had his 645 in for service and was talking to the guy at the shop about the carbon fiber roof used on the M6...the guy said that if you ever get a scratch or anything on that roof...there is nothing they can do about it...the only way to fix it is to get a new one.

ouch.
Yes but I would take that risk...The Carbon Roof looks Insane. The look is to insane to think about that.
The carbon roof reduces soooo much weight its crazy. It playes a BIG roll on weight and balance. If they actually do put it on the new M3, I can tell you that its gonna be a Bad Motha :rocks:
__________________

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Jack28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #14
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
 
res_ipsa's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida

Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)

Anyone know how much weight the carbon fiber roof on the M6 actually saves? I can see how it lowers center of gravity but if it only saves a couple of pounds really it wouldn't make too much difference performance wise. But looks wise it looks awesome I'm sure
res_ipsa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST