BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
creasyb001
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E90
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Tire Advice Requested

I'm having 19" forged wheels installed next week but unfortunately don't know the offset of the wheels. The manufacturer recommends 245/35/19F and 275/30/19R. However, I'm going to try 285/30/19R to keep sidewall and tire height the same as front (not smaller as would be the case with 275/30s). To minimize potential for rubbing issues, any suggestions on tires with a "rounded" sidewall. I know PS2s and RE-11s are rounded. Any others? I was thinking about Hankook but not sure if they are square or rounded. All pics I can find aren't conclusive. Thanks for any advice!
creasyb001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
What are the offsets/size of the wheels? You may not rub with a more square tire... you lowered?
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
creasyb001
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E90
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

I'm lowered on Eibachs. And the manufacturer of the wheels doesn't release offsets but recommend 275/30/19 and says "you may be ok with 285/30/19." I definitely don't want 30 series on the back unless it's at least a 285 width so that the sidewall with equal the front sidewall. They are 19" diameter, 10" wide on rear, 9" wide on front.

Last edited by creasyb001; 12-30-2009 at 12:13 AM.
creasyb001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

What manufacturer doesn't release offsets? Sounds like a crappy manufacturer? Any respectable manufacturer will release the offset to the original owner. Are you not the original owner of the wheels. If that's the case, I can see them not releasing the wheels as they might not know exactly what it is.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Yup it is impossible to make a rec without knowing the width and offset. But Obviously 285/30 will have a thicker side wall vs. 275/30 and will be more likely to rub.

Not giving out wheel offset is totally unacceptable, its like buying a car without knowing how many hp it makes.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creasyb001 View Post
I'm lowered on Eibachs. And the manufacturer of the wheels doesn't release offsets but recommend 275/30/19 and says "you may be ok with 285/30/19." I definitely don't want 30 series on the back unless it's at least a 285 width so that the sidewall with equal the front sidewall. They are 19" diameter, 10" wide on rear, 9" wide on front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
What manufacturer doesn't release offsets? Sounds like a crappy manufacturer? Any respectable manufacturer will release the offset to the original owner. Are you not the original owner of the wheels. If that's the case, I can see them not releasing the wheels as they might not know exactly what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Yup it is impossible to make a rec without knowing the width and offset. But Obviously 285/30 will have a thicker side wall vs. 275/30 and will be more likely to rub.

Not giving out wheel offset is totally unacceptable, its like buying a car without knowing how many hp it makes.
Creasyb001,

I feel for you man.

I told you some of these wheel brands weren't going to give you the offsets. (remember?)

Now you can see why I was telling you to demand this info UPFRONT.

With certain brands, that's the only way you will ever get them to release this important wheel fitment info. (if at all)

It's also the only time in the entire process where you have any real leverage.

What brand/model did you end up getting anyway?
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I'd go 285/30. With that size there was so much room with my INVOs. Now that i got 295/30 AD08's I rubbed, but just discovered it's nothing major and its just some small plastic piece. I wouldn't worry about it honestly....
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

Not telling customers what offsets are used is the shadiest thing ever, never buy a rim from a company that won't give you all the details about their product.
__________________
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
creasyb001
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E90
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, I know. I jumped the gun and ordered the wheels without doing enough research. By the time I got some good advice the wheels were ordered with a substantial deposit. I'm holding my breath that the wheels aren't TOO HEAVY and the offsets are workable with 285/30. I'll measure the offsets myself before ordering tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Creasyb001,

I feel for you man.

I told you some of these wheel brands weren't going to give you the offsets. (remember?)

Now you can see why I was telling you to demand this info UPFRONT.

With certain brands, that's the only way you will ever get them to release this important wheel fitment info. (if at all)

It's also the only time in the entire process where you have any real leverage.

What brand/model did you end up getting anyway?
creasyb001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
creasyb001
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E90
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I'd go 285/30. With that size there was so much room with my INVOs. Now that i got 295/30 AD08's I rubbed, but just discovered it's nothing major and its just some small plastic piece. I wouldn't worry about it honestly....
Thanks! I'm planning on 285/30s. Should be safe unless the offsets are something crazy. I'll try to measure offsets myself first.
creasyb001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
e90-4aj
Major
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So-Cal

Posts: 1,210
iTrader: (5)

keep us posted
e90-4aj is offline   Colombia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
M3V8Driver
Captain
 
M3V8Driver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 726
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creasyb001 View Post
Yeah, I know. I jumped the gun and ordered the wheels without doing enough research. By the time I got some good advice the wheels were ordered with a substantial deposit. I'm holding my breath that the wheels aren't TOO HEAVY and the offsets are workable with 285/30. I'll measure the offsets myself before ordering tires.
So are you going to let us know what wheels you bought? We might be able to tell you the offsets if they're a known mfg. A lot of custom wheel manufactures don't put the offsets in the wheels, or they stamp them in after the machining is done. If they're simply not telling you, that is strange. Definately measure them before buying tires, or even before mounting them at all (you might even need spacers!)
__________________
Mmmm... M&Ms,
Dale
M3V8Driver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
SpencerM3
Sauce
 
SpencerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (1)

Like most other guys said, its hard to tell, but 285's would be ok and I'd assume 295's would work too.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
SpencerM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
creasyb001
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E90
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone. The wheels are Iconz. They should be in Tuesday. I'll measure the offsets and probably go with 285/30s unless the offsets are something crazy. I'll post the offsets and ask for advice. I'll also post pics when installed.
creasyb001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Only downside I do not like about running 285/30 or even worse 275/30 in the rear is that when it says you're going 80mph, seems like you're only going like 75. Kind of annoying to always do the math whenever you look at the speedo..

I got 295's and feels noticeably more accurate, I'm sure 275/35 would probably balance the OEM speedo error (reading too high).
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
BoLaS
Captain
 
BoLaS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MIA

Posts: 664
iTrader: (1)

any updates? Try and get those offsets, as far as brand is concerned, the Ultrac Sessantas should be your only option for tires
__________________
BoLaS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST