BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
R A C Monolites shep01
Captain
 
Drives: 1972 BMW 2002
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

track set up question....

I make ( RAC monolites) a 10" 18" RS110 ( our track wheel ) in et of 27. Would this fit all 4 corners for track service? I also make that wheel in an et of 35 that we used on the E46M3 with 12mm spacers on the rear.

shep
R A C Monolites shep01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep01 View Post
I make ( RAC monolites) a 10" 18" RS110 ( our track wheel ) in et of 27. Would this fit all 4 corners for track service? I also make that wheel in an et of 35 that we used on the E46M3 with 12mm spacers on the rear.

shep
Yes it will fit. And I know what you're thinking...

I have a direct link into your brain. (a la "The Matrix")

The 18x10 et27 will be just about perfect on the front (very aggressive), and will not require any spacers on the front.

The rear 18x10 et27 wheel (275/35/18) will require a 12mm spacer to sit flush with the outer fender.

Or...5mm spacers if you are trying to up size the tire to a wider section width (285/35/18) and center it in the wheel well.

An 18x10 is a LOT of wheel for the front axle don't you think?

One thing does concern me though...

The inner barrel diameter of the RS110 will not clear upgraded 380mm 15" BBK from Brembo or StopTech on the E9x M3.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Ryan@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 4,263
iTrader: (16)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
other than the clearance of the BBK, this would be an amazing setup!
Ryan@IND is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,650
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WheelSTO View Post
other than the clearance of the BBK, this would be an amazing setup!
RS110s have a lot of brake clearance for a 18" wheel.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
R A C Monolites shep01
Captain
 
Drives: 1972 BMW 2002
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WheelSTO View Post
other than the clearance of the BBK, this would be an amazing setup!
Since I do not own the E92M3 ( yet ) I haven't spent any time on the track or thinking in these terms. The 10" RS110 weighed in around 19 lbs if I recall. I ran that on the rear of my E46M3 and I used the et35 9.5" on the front. I still ran a square set-up; usually 275/35 hoosiers although I did use that big rear wheel for the 285/30 PSC and once for a 295/30 hoosier that was just too much tire for the 310 rwhp.

I keep reading, occasionally, about guys doing a track set-up. Hard to ignore when you watch the Rahal M3 in ALMS which, as i totally expected, will be dominating once they dial it in .

The RS110 has about as much brake clearance as a wheel can have, but, may not quite clear those 380mm brake calipers radially ( i do know if any 18" can??)

I can easily do a run of these wheels since I own the design/tooling for it. Maybe you want to talk?


shep
R A C Monolites shep01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
R A C Monolites shep01
Captain
 
Drives: 1972 BMW 2002
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Yes it will fit. And I know what you're thinking...

I have a direct link into your brain. (a la "The Matrix")

The 18x10 et27 will be just about perfect on the front (very aggressive), and will not require any spacers on the front.

The rear 18x10 et27 wheel (275/35/18) will require a 12mm spacer to sit flush with the outer fender.

Or...5mm spacers if you are trying to up size the tire to a wider section width (285/35/18) and center it in the wheel well.

An 18x10 is a LOT of wheel for the front axle don't you think?

One thing does concern me though...

The inner barrel diameter of the RS110 will not clear upgraded 380mm 15" BBK from Brembo or StopTech on the E9x M3.
Since I know little about what is working at the track, I really cannot say. I am only thinking since occasionally I read about "track set-up" and most of it seems a little off to me. Most folks did not know I built a 10" RS110; I did it primarily for my race car. The standard was the 9.5 with a spacer on the rear ( usally a 12mm )


shep
R A C Monolites shep01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep01 View Post
Since I do not own the E92M3 ( yet ) I haven't spent any time on the track or thinking in these terms. The 10" RS110 weighed in around 19 lbs if I recall. I ran that on the rear of my E46M3 and I used the et35 9.5" on the front. I still ran a square set-up; usually 275/35 hoosiers although I did use that big rear wheel for the 285/30 PSC and once for a 295/30 hoosier that was just too much tire for the 310 rwhp.

I keep reading, occasionally, about guys doing a track set-up. Hard to ignore when you watch the Rahal M3 in ALMS which, as i totally expected, will be dominating once they dial it in .

The RS110 has about as much brake clearance as a wheel can have, but, may not quite clear those 380mm brake calipers radially ( i do know if any 18" can??)

I can easily do a run of these wheels since I own the design/tooling for it. Maybe you want to talk?


shep
The RS110 needs a re-design, to be able to clear the massive brake kits out there for the E9xM3. The existing design will barely clear 365mm Brembo BBK on the E46M3.

The stock front brake rotors on the E9xM3 is 360mm. (with a much smaller caliper) Brembo 365mm BBK with a 6-piston monoblock caliper will fit the OEM 18" wheels. (barely)

The 18" VOLK TE37 will clear a 380mm BBK on the new E9xM3. (see pics below)









The 18" TE37 wheels will allow 5-10mm clearance to the front and rear calipers on the Brembo 380mm Big Brake Kits. (including the caliper bridge)

The engineers at RAYS specifically designed this into the wheel blueprints, to accommodate the larger brake kits available on newer cars.

Tire Rack, (which owns the exclusive rights to the SSR Type-C wheel) re-designed that wheel to allow a larger inner barrel about 2 years ago.

When I saw this wheel industry trend emerging, I sent you an e-mail to give you a heads up. (over a year ago)

I guess the Taneshia engineers will have to admit that their rivals at RAYS can engineer a better fitting 18" wheel.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep01 View Post
Since I know little about what is working at the track, I really cannot say. I am only thinking since occasionally I read about "track set-up" and most of it seems a little off to me. Most folks did not know I built a 10" RS110; I did it primarily for my race car. The standard was the 9.5 with a spacer on the rear ( usally a 12mm )


shep
Yes, there would be a market for the RS110 if the proper size and offset were available to the public.

I think you should just build a E9xM3 specific 18 x 9.5 wheel...and call it a day.

The 18x10 et27 wheel will rub slightly on full lock under all circumstances. There is no way around this, even with the car at the stock ride height. (the inner liner will rub) There is even less room if the car has been lowered via springs or coilovers. The wheel-to-strut clearance is virtually non-existent. ( borderline rubbing)

The 10" wide wheel is simply too much for the front axle without using a 265 width tire. There is no breathing room for a wheel that large. Plus it won't significantly improve the performance of the car, and add a small amout of unnecessary weight. (~1.0 lbs. for the additional width)

An 18 x 9.5 RS110 track wheel with a +22 or +23 offset would be perfect IMO.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
R A C Monolites shep01
Captain
 
Drives: 1972 BMW 2002
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

good points....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Yes, there would be a market for the RS110 if the proper size and offset were available to the public.

I think you should just build a E9xM3 specific 18 x 9.5 wheel...and call it a day.

The 18x10 et27 wheel will rub slightly on full lock under all circumstances. There is no way around this, even with the car at the stock ride height. (the inner liner will rub) There is even less room if the car has been lowered via springs or coilovers. The wheel-to-strut clearance is virtually non-existent. ( borderline rubbing)

The 10" wide wheel is simply too much for the front axle without using a 265 width tire. There is no breathing room for a wheel that large. Plus it won't significantly improve the performance of the car, and add a small amout of unnecessary weight. (~1.0 lbs. for the additional width)

An 18 x 9.5 RS110 track wheel with a +22 or +23 offset would be perfect IMO.
I am going to pursue that conversation with Japan Thanks


shep.
R A C Monolites shep01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (5)

Somehow missed this thread.


Now that the RG63's are shipping soon. Next project?
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,767
iTrader: (0)

I am running 18x 9.5 25P with 275/35 18's with no contact issues.I am running stock ride height.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I am running 18x 9.5 25P with 275/35 18's with no contact issues.I am running stock ride height.
Do you need any spacers with that set-up?
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,767
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Do you need any spacers with that set-up?
Nope.285/660 will fit in the rear with this setup but will rub on the inside if they are on a 30P setup.A 15MM spacer would be ideal with this offset on the rear.25P works both f&r.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
fe55
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3 DKG
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton,

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

I purchased the Turner Forgeline set up for the E92M3. This was to fit over my 380mm AP Racing brakes F and 360mm on the Back. Forgeline indicated that the barrel that they were using would fit this setup with no spacers . Apparanely this is the setup they use on their race cars.

They are 10x18 et 27 with 275/35/18 R1 tires.

I don't know whether there will be any rubbing issues until I get the car on the track but I will be trying to install one wheel this weekend to see if they fit over the brakes.
I may go to california this winter for some track days and will use this setup .
fe55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (5)

I've seen the Forgelne 5 spoke on an E92 with slicks. He used a spacer up front. I don't recall if he was lowered.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST