BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Steve Thomas BMW

12-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #23
Jonmartin
Banned

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Jonmartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
So powerchip is definitely the way to go?

40 whp? (power to the wheels or at the crank?)
No software in the world makes 40whp on the M3 without supporting mods.If you have the proper mods and the tune 40whp over stock is not a problem with the Powerchip.
Jonmartin is offline   United_States
      12-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #24
mixja
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
So powerchip is definitely the way to go?

40 whp? (power to the wheels or at the crank?)
40whp (i.e. power to the wheels) on an Australian Dyno Dynamics, which typically read a lot lower than other dynos (the stock power was around 325WHP going to 365WHP, so ~12.5% gain)...unfortunately I can't post up the dyno graph, it's up to Powerchip whether they will make this available...

I'm not sure if it is available in North America yet, it is available everywhere else...

Hopefully I'll have this tune before XMAS and will write up a report using a new testing method where I use the "Measured Torque" values output from the M3 ECU to derive engine crank power (given dyno'ing a DCT is not the easiest thing to do)...
mixja is offline   United_States
      12-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #25
mixja
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
No software in the world makes 40whp on the M3 without supporting mods.If you have the proper mods and the tune 40whp over stock is not a problem with the Powerchip.
My initial thoughts but I've seen the dyno proof - Powerchip have discovered a way of making extra power, they mentioned similar to recent findings on the M5 V10 engine - we'll see soon enough when I get it in the next couple of weeks...
      12-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #26
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

Powerchip for sure. Power today & reliability for tomorrow.. Trust me.
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
      12-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #27
Bob MG
Moderating

Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
Powerchip for sure. Power today & reliability for tomorrow.. Trust me.
Is this a flash upload to rewrite software?
Bob MG is offline   Greenland
      12-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #28
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Entirely agreed!
      12-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #29
mixja
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewabf View Post
Is this a flash upload to rewrite software?
Yes via OBDII port...
      12-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #30
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
I did Dinan...and am happy.
'06 e85 Z4 M Roadster (Black Metallic) -Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
      12-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #31
King Tut
Individual LSB - Rust Brown

Drives: 2012 BMW M3 Coupe Individual

Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Powerchip - I've seen the dyno sheet on their latest software and it adds +40WHP over stock - no other tune has come close to that...
Proof please and if this is the case then why did the US custom tuned Powerchip cars not make 40 whp.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
King Tut is offline   United_States
      12-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #32
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.

Quote:
I never implied that!

I was just asking...I know its pretty difficult to get 40whp thats like near impossible....agreed? But what if you are just getting the ECU tune (chip) and without anyother mods, how much power are can we expect to get?

I mean assuming the exhaust and stuff come later on?
M3 vert is offline   United Kingdom
      12-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #33
mixja
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Proof please and if this is the case then why did the US custom tuned Powerchip cars not make 40 whp.
I was told the new tune is available everywhere except USA - not sure why not in the USA, possibly more rigorous testing required, the various fuel grades, etc...the non-USA tune is for 98RON which I think is fairly close to 93 RON/MON...I'd love to be able to post the dyno charts but they were provided to me in confidence...
      12-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #34
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 AW

I just received powerchips latest software yesterday. I do have supporting mods but let me tell u, this car is a beast. I swear it has never felt like this. Its really awsome. For some reason the revs feel like they climb so much freer and quicker. Absolutely great to drive.... I will get it dynoed very soon.
      12-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #35
FStop7
I like cars

Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
I just received powerchips latest software yesterday. I do have supporting mods but let me tell u, this car is a beast. I swear it has never felt like this. Its really awsome. For some reason the revs feel like they climb so much freer and quicker. Absolutely great to drive.... I will get it dynoed very soon.
Are you saying you had a Powerchip tune and they re-tuned it with new settings, or are you saying you got tuned for the first time?
      12-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #36
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Are you saying you had a Powerchip tune and they re-tuned it with new settings, or are you saying you got tuned for the first time?
Sorry, I should have made it clearer. I had the powerchip tune already. I actually got the first powerchip tune during the beginning of the summer, was one of their first tunes. I later got the "engine malfunction" error, jeremy instantly got on it and basically figured out a fix for it... They retuned my car with the new software. However, I think due to the weather or something, i got the error again. So monday I got on the phone with them. Jeremy said he knew that was a temp fix and that the new software they have is finally complete. Jayjay from powerchip came to me and in about 30 min reflashed my car. The new software makes this car feel like a complete monster. Feels much stronger and best of all, have taken it to redline constantly to test it correctly and absolutely no errors. I believe the issue is the torque limiter or something. It took them a few times to try to figure out excatky where it should be, and i beleive they got it. I wouldnt even think about switching tunes even If I had gotten the light again. Jeremy and his crew have lots of knowledge with these cars. Coudlnt be happier. If anyone in the NYC area would like to get a ride, i have no prob. U guys just have to meet up with me. But im telling u, u will b surprised at the diff.

PS: im going by rldzao's (or something like that lol) thread to speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Everyone else should learn to do the same haha..
      12-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #37
dogears
My master volume goes to 11

Drives: 2009 Space Gray M3 Sedan M-DCT

I just got the reduced power malfunction light two days ago when it was under 40 degrees...... First time it happened! I need the fix too..... I hope I can get the flash tool soon!!!

Agree on the support btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Sorry, I should have made it clearer. I had the powerchip tune already. I actually got the first powerchip tune during the beginning of the summer, was one of their first tunes. I later got the "engine malfunction" error, jeremy instantly got on it and basically figured out a fix for it... They retuned my car with the new software. However, I think due to the weather or something, i got the error again. So monday I got on the phone with them. Jeremy said he knew that was a temp fix and that the new software they have is finally complete. Jayjay from powerchip came to me and in about 30 min reflashed my car. The new software makes this car feel like a complete monster. Feels much stronger and best of all, have taken it to redline constantly to test it correctly and absolutely no errors. I believe the issue is the torque limiter or something. It took them a few times to try to figure out excatky where it should be, and i beleive they got it. I wouldnt even think about switching tunes even If I had gotten the light again. Jeremy and his crew have lots of knowledge with these cars. Coudlnt be happier. If anyone in the NYC area would like to get a ride, i have no prob. U guys just have to meet up with me. But im telling u, u will b surprised at the diff.

PS: im going by rldzao's (or something like that lol) thread to speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Everyone else should learn to do the same haha..
2009 Space Gray Carbon Leather E90 with DCT, Tech package, and EPS. Mods: Fabspeed 200 cell cats, Xpipe w/resonators and no secondary cats, BPM tune, Euro DCT software, Eisenmann Sport Mufflers, Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II, SWS8 subs, JL Audio XD400 bridged 2X200W, built in radar
      12-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #38
MN M3
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

How does everyone handle the warranty voidance issue? Has this become a problem for anyone? I'm asking a serious question here - are the people doing this doing it with full knowledge and acceptance that their powertrain warranty is going the second they do it? I don't want to get into an argument about how tuning the car either (a) doesn't void the warranty (which is 100% b.s. and a total lie, regardless of whatever your particular vendor said), or (b) cannot be detected or can be restored to original values without being detected (which is also 100% b.s. because it simply isn't true) - I am asking if people are doing this accepting the warranty voidance and, if so, how they are handling it. Thanks.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
      12-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #39
King Tut
Individual LSB - Rust Brown

Drives: 2012 BMW M3 Coupe Individual

Send a message via AIM to King Tut
As I have said before. If you have to ask the question then this isn't for you. If you seriously think this tune has any chance of damaging your engine or raises the chances of an engine failure and subsequently your warranty not covering it then just walk away. Modifying cars is not for everyone.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
King Tut is offline   United_States
      12-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #40
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post
How does everyone handle the warranty voidance issue? Has this become a problem for anyone? I'm asking a serious question here - are the people doing this doing it with full knowledge and acceptance that their powertrain warranty is going the second they do it? I don't want to get into an argument about how tuning the car either (a) doesn't void the warranty (which is 100% b.s. and a total lie, regardless of whatever your particular vendor said), or (b) cannot be detected or can be restored to original values without being detected (which is also 100% b.s. because it simply isn't true) - I am asking if people are doing this accepting the warranty voidance and, if so, how they are handling it. Thanks.
Im sure u enjoy ur stock car as much as we enjoy our modified ones
      12-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #41
Green///Hell
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 6MT AW

I've gone to the dealer maybe 3 or 4 times since having the Powerchip software installed, and had it connected to GT1 for alarm etc etc. No problems whatsoever.
Don't be a creepy stranger just be cool and honest with your SA about a lot of stuff. My SA I met at BMWCCA track events and we do some events together.
In fact they like my car and never say anything about it. Just look at my mod list. A little camaraderie will go a long way