BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #133
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Well u know what, to each his own!

I think maybe some of us are in a position to have multiple vehicles throughout the year!


Why should one drive the M in the winter, when you run into these probs:

1. Ground Clearance
2. Higher Risk of Accidents (Some jackass hits you!)
3. Salt/Rock chips on paint
4. Cant drive the the M hard! the way its meant to be like in summer

The Porsche turbos are AWD!
and FYI I drive the 760, Lexus GS in the winter. Infact prior to that I drove the 745 in the winter too!

The M with good winter set of wheels probably handles well, but I rest my case for the reasons mentioned above

And the M is no supercar but even supercars are driven in the snow and this is what happens
Those gents looked like they were having great fun with the Maserati to me.

So let's go down your list:

1. Ground clearance.

I'll give you that one, but most of the times here on the front range of the Rockies it's not an issue because we have very effective plows. Still, you have to be aware.

2. High risk of accident.

Well duh, but so what? Any vehicle you drive is at this risk. Why would I care more if my M3 gets pranged vs. my Hyundai??? They're both disposable and bought for a purpose.

3. Salt/rock chips on the paint. That's not a problem in my part of the world. Even if it were, it's easily fixed.

4. Can't drive an M hard.

Is there something the matter with you?? With high perforance snow tires you can drive the living crap out of the M3. The balance is perfect and the brakes are great. Also, it's easy to turn the DSC off and on for play and fun.

I rest my case.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #134
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Those gents looked like they were having great fun with the Maserati to me.

So let's go down your list:

1. Ground clearance.

I'll give you that one, but most of the times here on the front range of the Rockies it's not an issue because we have very effective plows. Still, you have to be aware.

2. High risk of accident.

Well duh, but so what? Any vehicle you drive is at this risk. Why would I care more if my M3 gets pranged vs. my Hyundai??? They're both disposable and bought for a purpose.


3. Salt/rock chips on the paint. That's not a problem in my part of the world. Even if it were, it's easily fixed.

4. Can't drive an M hard.

Is there something the matter with you?? With high perforance snow tires you can drive the living crap out of the M3. The balance is perfect and the brakes are great. Also, it's easy to turn the DSC off and on for play and fun.


I rest my case.

Dave

Dave, you cant beat the laws of physics even with good tires, and trust me only if you lived in canada you could understand what I mean!

Also, most roads in the city still have black ice here, and you dont wanna know what kind of accidents I have witnessed infront of my eyes.

Cautious drivers get into accidents because some other idiots on the road in SUVs who think they are invincible because of AWD driving recklessly

Infact a lot of sportscars get into accidents during the winter, with that kind of attitude of yours...

However, as mentioned earlier I'm no Frank Mountain and I will continue driving the 760 and lexus for the winter and enjoy the M with its top down in the spring
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #135
bobbyd1961
Banned
26
Rep
2,411
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

what kind of snow tires do you have
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #136
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Dave, you cant beat the laws of physics even with good tires, and trust me only if you lived in canada you could understand what I mean!

Also, most roads in the city still have black ice here, and you dont wanna know what kind of accidents I have witnessed infront of my eyes.

Cautious drivers get into accidents because some other idiots on the road in SUVs who think they are invincible because of AWD driving recklessly

Infact a lot of sportscars get into accidents during the winter, with that kind of attitude of yours...

However, as mentioned earlier I'm no Frank Mountain and I will continue driving the 760 and lexus for the winter and enjoy the M with its top down in the spring
"...with that kind of attitude of yours..."

Listen, smart ass, you're the know-it-all here. You don't seem to know shit about the conditions here. We get fog and sub-zero temperatures here, along with the accompanying black ice. Was it -16F there this morning? Yes, you have a shitty, grey, long winter, but just because we get lots of sun here doesn't mean that we don't see the extremes.


Yes, all cars get in accidents. If you want to put your 'vert on a pedestal that's fine with me. It's also fine for you to express your opinions here, but don't talk to me like I'm a small child and presume that only people from Canada know about winter.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #137
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
"...with that kind of attitude of yours..."

Listen, smart ass, you're the know-it-all here. You don't seem to know shit about the conditions here. We get fog and sub-zero temperatures here, along with the accompanying black ice. Was it -16F there this morning? Yes, you have a shitty, grey, long winter, but just because we get lots of sun here doesn't mean that we don't see the extremes.


Yes, all cars get in accidents. If you want to put your 'vert on a pedestal that's fine with me. It's also fine for you to express your opinions here, but don't talk to me like I'm a small child and presume that only people from Canada know about winter.

Dave
Dave,

you need to relax buddy, and take a chill pill

I mentioned that because your from an area that doesnt even experience the kind of shitty ass weather and conditions we have here in the great white north.

We had 15-20 cm of snow already overnight and near white out conditions, plus they use lots of salt here too.

You are so far away down south, sure you get the occassional snow fall but its not as severe and harsh as the conditions here in ontario!

Even our fall and spring is filled with rain and overcast!

I am not saying your some child, but the way your expressing your opinion, seems like you are one.

I dont understand why you guys think you are always right!

Just move along buddy, if you wanna drive the M through the winter do it!

However, I am not the only one of this opinion, many other members put theres away for the exact reasons mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #138
sdotb
New Member
7
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Glendale

iTrader: (0)

www.royalmuffler.com
www.sdotb.com






Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #139
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
15
Rep
1,594
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
"...with that kind of attitude of yours..."

Listen, smart ass, you're the know-it-all here. You don't seem to know shit about the conditions here. We get fog and sub-zero temperatures here, along with the accompanying black ice. Was it -16F there this morning? Yes, you have a shitty, grey, long winter, but just because we get lots of sun here doesn't mean that we don't see the extremes.


Yes, all cars get in accidents. If you want to put your 'vert on a pedestal that's fine with me. It's also fine for you to express your opinions here, but don't talk to me like I'm a small child and presume that only people from Canada know about winter.

Dave
I now live in Western Canada, but I did spend a year or so in Denver, CO which included one full winter. Believe me, drivers in the Denver and anywhere along the Front Range of the Rockies have to content with winter conditions every bit as bad as most of Canada. Cold, snow, wind, and black ice are all in a Colorado winter. Climate is lot like Calgary IMO.
__________________
2012 135i E82 MSport 6MT Jet Black

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #140
A2G
Hye
A2G's Avatar
Armenia
5
Rep
139
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Black S. e92 335xi
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Is an M3 as stable in snow as 335xi? the reason why i went with 3 series all wheel drive is because of our winters here in toronto.....i assumed m3 would be dangerous to drive in icy/snowy conditions.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #141
CPI
403_e39
CPI's Avatar
Canada
35
Rep
1,810
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 ///M5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
I drive my car all year around. Even with all the snow/ice we get. Its not an M, but I still get around fine all year around. This is my 3rd winter and im pretty much slammed on my ride.
Attached Images
  
__________________

||KWVI Coilovers||Matte Black Grille||28% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||H&S Exhaust||Exotics Tuning Lip||Slimmbones Rear Diffuser II||AngelIBright V3 Angel Eyes|| Fog light covers||UUC RK6 Shift Knob||
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #142
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I now live in Western Canada, but I did spend a year or so in Denver, CO which included one full winter. Believe me, drivers in the Denver and anywhere along the Front Range of the Rockies have to content with winter conditions every bit as bad as most of Canada. Cold, snow, wind, and black ice are all in a Colorado winter. Climate is lot like Calgary IMO.
Ok nice to know then, perhaps I was underestimating the winters in colorado

But the amount of salt that gets used in ontario is just sick

I know they dont use salt in BC and such, and AB theres no use
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #143
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2G View Post
Is an M3 as stable in snow as 335xi? the reason why i went with 3 series all wheel drive is because of our winters here in toronto.....i assumed m3 would be dangerous to drive in icy/snowy conditions.
The X-drive is the way to go if you want acceleration and hill climbing on ice and snow. The M3 stops and turns just as well, but only if you have full winter tires on it. The stopping and turning of either car will be dependent on the tire types and sizes selected.

The 335xi doesn't give up a lot to the M3 in the dry and, thanks to acceleration, it'll whip the M3 on snow and ice. Once you get going they're much the same. If you do get in a slide they'll behave quite differently from each other in response to giving gas. Most drivers will be safer with x-drive.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #144
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Subscribed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #145
linsm3
Lieutenant
6
Rep
500
Posts

 
Drives: E92 08 M3 AW
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, to each his own. Sorry I can't post pics of my car but she is tucked away for the winter, not because it's such a special one of a kind car. The drop and molded front lip are not conducive to driving in the Chicago winter and the use of salt here is crazy and it would chew the car up. This way I get to look forward to spring and its like a new car all over again.
__________________
Vorsteiner front lip molded and painted no reflectors*type II diffuser*single side CF trunk*Blk grilles*side markers w/ dark tint*40% tint*H&R springs*Macht Schnell spacers*BBS-LM 19"*Eisenmann Racing*Hardwired Escort 9500ci radar/laser system*Brembo 380MM BBK*GIRLS RULE!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #146
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPI View Post
I drive my car all year around. Even with all the snow/ice we get. Its not an M, but I still get around fine all year around. This is my 3rd winter and im pretty much slammed on my ride.
Beautiful ride and it's good to see it put to good use.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #147
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Beautiful ride and it's good to see it put to good use.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #148
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotb View Post
Wicked ride!
What rubber are you running there? and arent the wheels too big
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #149
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsm3 View Post
Hey guys, to each his own. Sorry I can't post pics of my car but she is tucked away for the winter, not because it's such a special one of a kind car. The drop and molded front lip are not conducive to driving in the Chicago winter and the use of salt here is crazy and it would chew the car up. This way I get to look forward to spring and its like a new car all over again.
Exactly...thank you...my point exactly which is very hard for some people to understand
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #150
///M3-BB
BLACKOUT
///M3-BB's Avatar
Ukraine
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: '02 e46 CB M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Sick Thread!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #151
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Exactly...thank you...my point exactly which is very hard for some people to understand
Most of us haven't slammed our cars and added a lower chin. If you plan to drive in the winter, this is one thing to think about, for sure.

Enjoy driving your 7-series (old man's car) in your shitty winter weather Mr. 'vert.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #152
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
4,213
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

iTrader: (3)

M3vert...

I've lived in Detroit, Chicago, and New York for over 30 years and believe me Denver winters are worse when it comes to snow and temperature extremes. Much better in terms of average temperature and sunny days, but the snow and cold can be intense. We got 2 feet of snow in about a day this October, which honestly is not unusual. Huge dumps are common, like the one below. You can't tell but that is my E46 M3 'vert, did just fine during our storm a few years back that brought 3 feet (no exaggeration) and closed a bunch of roads. I merrily trucked on past literally hundreds of stranded cars but was forced to get off the highway when they shut it down and stay in a hotel. I came out to this in the morning...



Loved the looks on people's faces when I cleared off the snow and drove away. I drove this vert year round for 60k miles and when I traded it in, I was told it was the nicest E46 they had seen. Just needs washing/detailing to keep nice like any other car.

Driven sensibly, an M3 with proper snows is every bit as capable or more so than other cars. Great balance, handling and safety. The only area where you really lose out is traction to an AWD car with equivalent tires. And AWD/4WD doesn't help when it comes to stopping...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #153
BMWDEMON
Super modder
BMWDEMON's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3 vert
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
It hardly snows in Annapolis anyway, or does it? If I had an old car and didn't have snows on my E92 M3, then I'd drive the older car if it only snowed occasionally. However, here in Colorado it snows enough to invest in winter tires and wheels and enjoy our cars accordingly.

Dave
Dave,

No worries! Yeah, it doesn't snow like it does in the midwest etc but they go CRAZY with the mention of snow and salt the hell outta our roads and after investing monies in nice wheels, tires, etc I rather it be in the garage nice and clean and safe...I am lucky enough to have the E36 to drive around and it is also an M!!! I drive accordingly ALL the time!

I think it is cool that people who don't have a second vehicle take the M out in the weather and drive the car...crazy, but cool! I used to have an E46 M3 and it just turned sideways in the snow...that was because of slick tires though..HA HA!!!

Anyhoo, great thread!

M
__________________
BOOSTED! 2005 E46 M3 ZCP - I/B on black- DD super modded (425WHP/300FT)
I will be looking for a low mileage AW/Red MANUAL E92 M3 in the spring!! WILL ENTERTAIN LW WB conversion vehicle
MODS in hand: Akra EVO, Rennline pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #154
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
118
Rep
4,937
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Exactly...thank you...my point exactly which is very hard for some people to understand
I do understand what he is saying, aswell as what you are saying. I just can't justify the high lease payment to let it sit in the garage, and in 3 years give it back to BMW (knowing the next owner most likely won't ever know or appreciate the fact that the car was "never winter driven"). I say enjoy it, its a blast to drive in the snow and move on..If you saw my car in the summer, you would never think its even seen a single drop of rain, let alone massive snow storms and salt galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Most of us haven't slammed our cars and added a lower chin. If you plan to drive in the winter, this is one thing to think about, for sure.

Enjoy driving your 7-series (old man's car) in your shitty winter weather Mr. 'vert.

Dave
FYI, M3 Vert has NOT lowered or put a front lip on his car, to my knowledge the car is stock!
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade| 15% Tints/50% Windshield|LED License Plate
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST