BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TheKosherStogie's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Hollywood

Posts: 1,593
iTrader: (1)

rotara brakes? anyone have prev experience or info?

rotora brakes? anyone have prev experience or info?

Vs brembo? Ap? Stoptech?

Great? good? crap?
__________________
13 E92 M3 ZCP
Stock w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:33:9 / BW C13 2:03:6 / ACS 1:56:7
KW CS w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2 / ACS 1:55:1
APR Wing/Rs3 - WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7

Last edited by TheKosherStogie; 10-22-2009 at 08:17 PM.
TheKosherStogie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,931
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
rotara brakes? anyone have prev experience or info?

Great? good? crap?
I used to have their 4-piston caliper kit (calipers, brackets, SS lines, street/track pads front and rear) in my E46 M3... great improvement over the OEM calipers, no quality/performance issues.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 8,815
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
rotora brakes? anyone have prev experience or info?

Vs brembo? Ap? Stoptech?

Great? good? crap?
would prefer Stoptech over Rotora. The customer service for Stoptech is better if you need your caliper rebuilt or your rotors replaced.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Kev is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Rotara brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
rotora brakes? anyone have prev experience or info?

Vs brembo? Ap? Stoptech?

Great? good? crap?
I've heard pretty good things about Rotara. Evosport is also a dealer. They were supposed to be coming out with a 6-piston front caliper for the OEM rotor, but I don't know if it is out yet.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-23-2009 at 01:38 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
 
powertrip's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I like AP myself; they're a top choice in a lot of professional racing circuits .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
rotora brakes? anyone have prev experience or info?

Vs brembo? Ap? Stoptech?

Great? good? crap?
__________________
2009 E92 M3/DCT/Alpine White/Fox Red/Carbon Leather
OE Tuned 402 whp & 303 wtq/Gintani X-pipe/MXP Axle Back/Rogue Pulley/AFE Stage 2/Cosmetics By IND & EAS
HUGE THANKS: Gintani, OE Tuning, and EAS
powertrip is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
badfish
Major
 
badfish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I didn't get good feedback from guys that owned their brakes. These were people that spent significant time on the track. I had an opportunity to pick their brakes up at a very special deal but went with Stoptech instead.
__________________
badfish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Rotara brakes for E9x M3

Here's a listing on Evosport's website for a Rotara 6-piston front & 4-piston rear system using the stock rotors, for those wanting a less expensive alternative to a full BBK. Probably not ideal for the track, but should be great for the street. Their full 8-piston/4-piston BBK is $5,999.

Rotora Performance Brake System: 6-Piston/4-Piston
Caliper Only Kit
$2,999/set

Application: All E9x M3 Install Time (est.): 4.0 h
Part #: RTR.BRK.B92.CKT.1xx
Forged 6-piston front, 4-piston rear calipers that utilize the OE rotors (or for more bite, use the Rotora OE replacement rotors in flat, slotted or drilled and slotted). Direct replacement for factory calipers; no modification necessary. Includes stainless brake lines, hardware and street pads. Higher performance pads for street and race available as additional option. Standard caliper colors available in Metallic Blue or Red. Other colors available; please call.

More brake options are available. Please call for information.

http://www.evosport.com/product/vehi.../BMW_E9xM3.pdf

This is the 8-piston caliper:

__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-24-2009 at 10:58 AM.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,931
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Here's a listing on Evosport's website for a Rotara 6-piston front & 4-piston rear system using the stock rotors, for those wanting a less expensive alternative to a full BBK. Probably not ideal for the track, but should be great for the street. Their full 8-piston/4-piston BBK is $5,999.

Rotora Performance Brake System: 6-Piston/4-Piston
Caliper Only Kit
$2,999/set

Application: All E9x M3 Install Time (est.): 4.0 h
Part #: RTR.BRK.B92.CKT.1xx
Forged 6-piston front, 4-piston rear calipers that utilize the OE rotors (or for more bite, use the Rotora OE replacement rotors in flat, slotted or drilled and slotted). Direct replacement for factory calipers; no modification necessary. Includes stainless brake lines, hardware and street pads. Higher performance pads for street and race available as additional option. Standard caliper colors available in Metallic Blue or Red. Other colors available; please call.

More brake options are available. Please call for information.

http://www.evosport.com/product/vehi.../BMW_E9xM3.pdf

Great find... calipers, here I come!!!
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,931
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
It looks like this Rotora caliper kit is only for the 3-Series and not for the M3...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It looks like this Rotora caliper kit is only for the 3-Series and not for the M3...
It specifically states:

"Products for the BMW M3 (S65 V8)
Includes: E90 M3 Sedan, E92 M3 Coupe, E93 M3 Convertible"

and

"Application: All E9x M3 Install Time (est.): 4.0 h
Part #: RTR.BRK.B92.CKT.1xx"

Sounds like a nice deal. Sure beats the caliper covers..LOL!

-SZ
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,931
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
It specifically states:

"Products for the BMW M3 (S65 V8)
Includes: E90 M3 Sedan, E92 M3 Coupe, E93 M3 Convertible"

and

"Application: All E9x M3 Install Time (est.): 4.0 h
Part #: RTR.BRK.B92.CKT.1xx"

Sounds like a nice deal. Sure beats the caliper covers..LOL!

-SZ
That P/N applies only to the 3-Series (no reference to the M3) in their own Rotora catalog, and we know that the OEM rotors are not the same size as the M3.

I contacted Rotora thru the vendor that sold me the E46 M3 caliper kit about this E9x M3 kit and there was no answer from Rotora.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That P/N applies only to the 3-Series (no reference to the M3) in their own Rotora catalog, and we know that the OEM rotors are not the same size as the M3.

I contacted Rotora thru the vendor that sold me the E46 M3 caliper kit about this E9x M3 kit and there was no answer from Rotora.
Thanks for checking on this. It would be a nice and cost efficient upgrade.
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,931
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Thanks for checking on this. It would be a nice and cost efficient upgrade.
Most probably they will be offering a kit for the M3 soon, as they already have the 3-Series covered.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Most probably they will be offering a kit for the M3 soon, as they already have the 3-Series covered.
I think this can be a big money maker for them. Many M3 owners would like to upgrade the brakes without spending $7-8k on an entire setup.

For the occasional track day, I think the caliper upgrade will be more than capable.

Some of the brake failures I have seen on this forum have been mostly due to caliper failure because of extreme high temps.

-SZ
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,931
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I think this can be a big money maker for them. Many M3 owners would like to upgrade the brakes without spending $7-8k on an entire setup.

For the occasional track day, I think the caliper upgrade will be more than capable.

Some of the brake failures I have seen on this forum have been mostly due to caliper failure because of extreme high temps.

-SZ
Agreed, although increased ventilation will be appreciated as well...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
andresd4
Private
 
andresd4's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miami

Posts: 96
iTrader: (1)

well if Rotora has this upgrade for the E90 M3 i'll be one of the first ones to buy it.
andresd4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST