BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

GetBMWParts

11-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
foosh
Major

Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
No, it isn't corrected in the 2009 manual - which came with a 2010 car. Anyway, thanks - BMW Canada straightened the dealer out.
Good deal! Glad they were so quick and responsive.
      11-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
bobbyd1961
Banned

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engle View Post
Just dropped the M3 off for it's 1,200 mile service appointment. I did 1,200 in a week to try and get it done with. It's DCT and I specifically requested for no trans fluid to be changed and good thing because the SA didn't know much about what I was talking about. Very reassuring. He put it in all caps on it though (along with do not wash :P) Going to be a long few hours till I get it back. I'll post my reviews tonight once I go WOT.

Maybe my black grilles, gills and painted reflectors will come in today?
did it show overfilled on the oil gauge? greater max
      11-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #25
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
No, it isn't corrected in the 2009 manual - which came with a 2010 car. Anyway, thanks - BMW Canada straightened the dealer out.
Good to know BMW Canada is on the ball.

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
tuco44 is offline   Canada
      11-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #26
B.Hallowell
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
did it show overfilled on the oil gauge? greater max
Actually it did. I picked up the car, warmed it up and BAM right to the top of the guage stating MAX. Brought it back and told them they over filled it and they said "we just put 9 liters in as to BMW Spec." So I brought him outside and showed him the gauge and he got it taken care of. Not sure WHY it took close to 2 hours to drain a bit of oil but I got a free tank of gas out of it cause they filled it up for my troubles. After that I was finally able to unleash it a bit and OH MAN! This car does things to me I never thought possible. Besides having it in MDM and just mashing on the pedal I have to say I love the shift lights and the kick-down downshift to a perfect gear is amazing. For people who don't know what I'm talking about this is a huge flaw with my friend's e60 M5 SMG. he's in seventh and needs to drop to say 3rd for maximum acceleration he has to either blip down 4 times or put it in auto, mash it and put it back in S5(or S6). With the DCT if you're in 7th and mash it into the kick down then downshift it will choose the optimum gear for acceleration so it skips from 7th to 3rd almost instantly. If you have DCT and didn't know this, go out and try it. Great fun!!!
      11-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #27
bobbyd1961
Banned

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engle View Post
Actually it did. I picked up the car, warmed it up and BAM right to the top of the guage stating MAX. Brought it back and told them they over filled it and they said "we just put 9 liters in as to BMW Spec." So I brought him outside and showed him the gauge and he got it taken care of. Not sure WHY it took close to 2 hours to drain a bit of oil but I got a free tank of gas out of it cause they filled it up for my troubles. After that I was finally able to unleash it a bit and OH MAN! This car does things to me I never thought possible. Besides having it in MDM and just mashing on the pedal I have to say I love the shift lights and the kick-down downshift to a perfect gear is amazing. For people who don't know what I'm talking about this is a huge flaw with my friend's e60 M5 SMG. he's in seventh and needs to drop to say 3rd for maximum acceleration he has to either blip down 4 times or put it in auto, mash it and put it back in S5(or S6). With the DCT if you're in 7th and mash it into the kick down then downshift it will choose the optimum gear for acceleration so it skips from 7th to 3rd almost instantly. If you have DCT and didn't know this, go out and try it. Great fun!!!
actually it takes a day for it to drop to the proper leel. what my dealer did was drain out three quarters of a liter and gave it to me. sure enough later that day it dropped from middle of the lines to down 3/4s. i added back what they gave me and it was and has been perfect. the moral is as long as it says greater than max and not +1 then your good to go and it will drop to top of line once things get settled.
      11-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #28
B.Hallowell
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
actually it takes a day for it to drop to the proper leel. what my dealer did was drain out three quarters of a liter and gave it to me. sure enough later that day it dropped from middle of the lines to down 3/4s. i added back what they gave me and it was and has been perfect. the moral is as long as it says greater than max and not +1 then your good to go and it will drop to top of line once things get settled.
Wasn't my situation. Driven it about 200 miles more since and it's still the same at the top line. Pretty sure they just over filled it to begin with.
      11-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #29
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it

Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Sorry for the n00bness but why are you trying to reach 1200 miles so quick...?

(flamesuiton)
SiKkBaSs is offline   United Kingdom
      11-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
B.Hallowell
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
Sorry for the n00bness but why are you trying to reach 1200 miles so quick...?

(flamesuiton)
M car's require you to stay under 5,500RPM, no more than 106mph and no full throtle untill a 1,200 mile service appointment is done. The appointment just changes various fluids (engine oil, diff oil, and in 6MT cars the transmission fluid) to get rid of metal shavings that have come off the parts. After this you can use the car as how it was designed with the glorious high revving V8. I didn't buy an M car to tootle around and have dodge sprinter vans blow past me at stop lights for when it merges up ahead and me to get stuck behind them. Pretty much I wanted to get it over with asap so I could use the car for how it was designed.