BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
ESS Tuning
View Poll Results: Which car?
C6 Corvette 31 29.25%
Cayman/Boxster 33 31.13%
E46 M3 22 20.75%
Other (specify) 5 4.72%
Keep the 335i/modify it 15 14.15%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #23
graider
0
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
How big of a dude are you (if you don't mind me asking)? I looked at Caymans because I think its a car with a ton of potential, but damn its tight inside (much tighter than my Z4 IMO).

I'd own one as a weekend car, but I just don't think I could own one as a DD. Plus when you look out at the a-pillar, it just looks like you have 2-3cm of side impact protection max.

In the end I chose the 135 because its got good power and torque, is surprisingly utilitarian and large inside while keeping its outer dims small and it feels nice and solid. Good luck with your choice, they all look like they have their +'s.
that's the thing. anyone know why I cannot find any crash testing for porsche? I wonder how they do in a collision.

I like to see how the cayman, boxter, 911, cayenne fair in crash testing. but can't find any vid
graider is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #24
footie
0
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
that's the thing. anyone know why I cannot find any crash testing for porsche? I wonder how they do in a collision.

I like to see how the cayman, boxter, 911, cayenne fair in crash testing. but can't find any vid
Can't recall the figures but the Boxster was the best crash tested roadster, so I would imagine that the Cayman would do equally as well.
footie is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #25
Crimson92
0
Smiling Politely
 
Crimson92's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

Posts: 28,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
We all make mistakes sometimes, the important thing is to learn from them, and help others to avoid making the same mistakes.
Oh you're funny. :slap
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Crimson92 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #26
Epik
0
Awesome & Likes Cookies
 
Drives: 2011 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arizona

Posts: 393
iTrader: (0)

Evo?





__________________
Epik is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #27
TK-421
0
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

ZCP E46
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #28
TheAcAvenger
0
Brigadier General
 
TheAcAvenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 757, VA

Posts: 3,096
iTrader: (1)

C6 Vette. Performance wise, it's absolutely perfect. The interior materials are meh, but you'll get over it. If you don't need the accomodations for more people, it's the best choice.

If you do need such luxuries, I'd say S4 or the EVO MR Touring
__________________
2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, Volk TE-37s, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Forge DVs, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, EAS DCI, Rixster VEI, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, Anthracite Headliner, OSS Headlights
TheAcAvenger is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #29
Porschefile
0
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (6)

Has anyone here driven a C6 non z06? I've driven the new z06 and loved it but I wonder how big of a difference there is between the base vette and the z06 in terms of overall feel.

The cheap parts and reliability of the chevy v8 are attractive, but I don't know if I could be a "vette guy" lol.
Porschefile is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #30
domobrown
0
Banned
 
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Salzburg, Austria

Posts: 512
iTrader: (0)

E46 M3, or S4. But likely the S4 if you are driving more around town. Test drive it, it was a real joy!
domobrown is offline   Austria
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #31
EpicE90
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

Well if u CERTAINLY want the boring-est car on the list. . . Choose the Porsche. I don't know why everyone praises Porsches so much The only Porsche Ive been in that was moderately impressive was the Turbo. They cayman and boxster are exactly as Jeremy Clarkson explained them . Boring , dull, the car you'd buy if you CANT afford a Turbo, a very clinical non exciting car. Don't make any of the right sounds, IMO don't look any bit special on the road , out of that list the C6 Corvette is by far the best if your going for a car that's exciting and such. I feel bad for you that you've had all the Fuel pump issues that truly does suck but if your the kinda guy who enjoys working on your car and such, buying mods etc. The 335i is a pretty good car for that though. It is indeed a hard choice.
EpicE90 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #32
domobrown
0
Banned
 
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Salzburg, Austria

Posts: 512
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE90 View Post
Well if u CERTAINLY want the boring-est car on the list. . . Choose the Porsche. I don't know why everyone praises Porsches so much The only Porsche Ive been in that was moderately impressive was the Turbo. They cayman and boxster are exactly as Jeremy Clarkson explained them . Boring , dull, the car you'd buy if you CANT afford a Turbo, a very clinical non exciting car. Don't make any of the right sounds, IMO don't look any bit special on the road , out of that list the C6 Corvette is by far the best if your going for a car that's exciting and such. I feel bad for you that you've had all the Fuel pump issues that truly does suck but if your the kinda guy who enjoys working on your car and such, buying mods etc. The 335i is a pretty good car for that though. It is indeed a hard choice.
Please don't tell me that you base your opinions off of every Top Gear review. I can't speak about the Cayman S, but my brother in law's Cayman has proved to be very balanced, poised, and direct on any piece of road. Not everyone is a 911 guy. Not all like the design as well. It is very ignorant to say that people only buy Caymans or Boxsters because they can't afford 911s. The PDK Cayman S is already putting down 911 numbers on the skidpad and 0-60, and GT3 RS speeds in the slalom. Also, you can spec a Cayman S to be more expensive than a base 911(already a good car) so I don't think money isn't always the factor: preference is.
domobrown is offline   Austria
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #33
EpicE90
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
Please don't tell me that you base your opinions off of every Top Gear review. I can't speak about the Cayman S, but my brother in law's Cayman has proved to be very balanced, poised, and direct on any piece of road. Not everyone is a 911 guy. Not all like the design as well. It is very ignorant to say that people only buy Caymans or Boxsters because they can't afford 911s. The PDK Cayman S is already putting down 911 numbers on the skidpad and 0-60, and GT3 RS speeds in the slalom. Also, you can spec a Cayman S to be more expensive than a base 911(already a good car) so I don't think money isn't always the factor: preference is.
Well no.. i don't base all my opinions off top gear reviews , but i do have to agree with what Jeremy said on that review. I understand that the Cayman is good on a track , street, cruising etc . But I'm sorry when i drove a cayman i couldn't find myself feeling like id want to wake up to it every morning and drive it . It just didn't have that OOMPH that i look for in cars. And IMO they are too expensive for what they are. I mean a loaded out cayman is more then a basic z06 , and can the cayman even remotely touch a z06 in any way shape or form?
EpicE90 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #34
domobrown
0
Banned
 
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Salzburg, Austria

Posts: 512
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE90 View Post
Well no.. i don't base all my opinions off top gear reviews , but i do have to agree with what Jeremy said on that review. I understand that the Cayman is good on a track , street, cruising etc . But I'm sorry when i drove a cayman i couldn't find myself feeling like id want to wake up to it every morning and drive it . It just didn't have that OOMPH that i look for in cars. And IMO they are too expensive for what they are. I mean a loaded out cayman is more then a basic z06 , and can the cayman even remotely touch a z06 in any way shape or form?
Nope, The Cayman can't compete, but the Z06 seems to be nervous and twitchy on the limit from what I've see. I think the Grandsport would be the smarter, more sensible choice. The Z06 is dedicated to tracks(smooth ones) and that 505hp beckons nothing but oversteer I am speaking of balance. Although you didn't find the OOMPH, maybe this guy(OP) will.
domobrown is offline   Austria
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #35
EpicE90
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
Nope, The Cayman can't compete, but the Z06 seems to be nervous and twitchy on the limit from what I've see. I think the Grandsport would be the smarter, more sensible choice. The Z06 is dedicated to tracks(smooth ones) and that 505hp beckons nothing but oversteer I am speaking of balance. Although you didn't find the OOMPH, maybe this guy(OP) will.
My father did have a Z06 not long ago , and i will agree that it does get twitchy ,and very rear end happy. Sure does make some pretty tail whips though
EpicE90 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #36
tim3less
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '07 STi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

B8 S4 or E46 M3....you should try out a used RS4 with 35k mls? I found some that range from 40-50k
tim3less is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #37
02themax
0
Captain
 
02themax's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 948
iTrader: (6)

Vette, nuff said.
__________________

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
02themax is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #38
Porschefile
0
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (6)

I ended up going with a Cayman S, Guards Red 6MT. Great car so far, I have a track day at Road Atlanta next weekend, we'll see how it does.
Porschefile is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #39
MisterSkiMask
0
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,940
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I ended up going with a Cayman S, Guards Red 6MT. Great car so far, I have a track day at Road Atlanta next weekend, we'll see how it does.
Nice choice! Congrats, some pics coming soon?
MisterSkiMask is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #40
M3-ADDICT
0
GAM3-OVR
 
M3-ADDICT's Avatar
 
Drives: Dinan E46 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Virginia

Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to M3-ADDICT
You can also pick up 06 E55 AMG that kills both the M3 and 335I for 30 - 35K fully loaded under 40K miles.

__________________
2006 BMW 325I
2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS SOLD
2009 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE LUX SOLD
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG SOLD
2004 + 2005 BMW E46 M3 SOLD
M3-ADDICT is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 02:51 AM   #41
sokdo
0
Lieutenant
 
sokdo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fullerton, CA

Posts: 582
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-ADDICT View Post
You can also pick up 06 E55 AMG that kills both the M3 and 335I for 30 - 35K fully loaded under 40K miles.

dunno if you'd want to pick up a used MB especially an AMG one...
sokdo is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #42
ACZakka325i
0
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ACZakka325i's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 3.5 M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CT

Posts: 1,756
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-ADDICT View Post
You can also pick up 06 E55 AMG that kills both the M3 and 335I for 30 - 35K fully loaded under 40K miles.

I was thinking the same thing. They are A TON of car for the money used.
__________________
2013 535i xdrive(Current)
2008 E92 M3 (Gone)
2006 E90 325i (Gone)
2002 E46 325xi (Gone)
1991 E30 325i (Gone)
ACZakka325i is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #43
DrDomer
0
Major
 
DrDomer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa

Posts: 1,349
iTrader: (0)

I'll be coming down to Road Atlanta also. I'll be driving a 1999 white Miata in the Novice group. Thought about going in the intermediate group, but I get instructors in the Novice group and I've never been to Road Atlanta before. You're talking with with MVP, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I ended up going with a Cayman S, Guards Red 6MT. Great car so far, I have a track day at Road Atlanta next weekend, we'll see how it does.
__________________
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
DrDomer is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #44
Porschefile
0
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
I'll be coming down to Road Atlanta also. I'll be driving a 1999 white Miata in the Novice group. Thought about going in the intermediate group, but I get instructors in the Novice group and I've never been to Road Atlanta before. You're talking with with MVP, right?
Yep, MVP. I'm in novice also, I've only been to VIR so I figured I shouldn't try intermediate in a new to me car on a new to me track.
Porschefile is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST