BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #45
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
 
2000gsr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 364
iTrader: (0)

Do you have the seat warmers in your car? If so, I don't see the buttons to turn them on.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44350&dateline=125013  4806
2000gsr is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #46
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
Do you have the seat warmers in your car? If so, I don't see the buttons to turn them on.
no I don't
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #47
excitebike99
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NorCal

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Awesome ....

When I bought my M3, I opted out of the navi and iDrive so that I can go the route you just did. Very nice! Frankly, I have found that no factory-based navigation system worked as good as a cheap portable Garmin.

Great choice and execution, but just wondering what went into your choice of Eclipse versus Pioneer or Kenwood (with the Garmin-based navi)? With a few weeks of playing around with it, any further comments you wanted to add?
excitebike99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #48
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

I'd go this route for an audio upgrade but NEVER for a navi unit. The screen is simply too low to be able to see easily and it's hard to keep your eyes anywhere near the road when you're staring at your center console. I was going to go this route with some Alpine F#1 Status gear but there still isn't anything that does everything iDrive does as well as iDrive does it so I'm just going to feed the iDrive outputs into my Audioson Bit One and go from there.

It does look really good was extremely well done though.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #49
badfish
Major
 
badfish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I'd go this route for an audio upgrade but NEVER for a navi unit. The screen is simply too low to be able to see easily and it's hard to keep your eyes anywhere near the road when you're staring at your center console. I was going to go this route with some Alpine F#1 Status gear but there still isn't anything that does everything iDrive does as well as iDrive does it so I'm just going to feed the iDrive outputs into my Audioson Bit One and go from there.
Granted, the position is not optimal but when I use navigation in my other cars I am rarely looking at the screen. It's dangerous to do even if you have the OEM iDrive navigation screen position. Best just to glance at it in safe conditions...
__________________
badfish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #50
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Agreed. I was just saying a higher position is safer. I really do like the work though. Can't wait to see the rest of the system.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #51
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

For me it is the optimal position. One of the main things I hate about iDrive is it's high location. I can't stand catching the screen out of the corner of my eye all the time, especially at night even if it's set to the dimmest setting. It also has voice, so once you have your destination set it will tell you when to turn so it's not necessary to look at the screen all the time. You can simply wait until it's safe and with the screen being 7" you can quickly glance and get the info you need from it safely. Also, as you can see the screen is slightly angled up. This is for two reasons, one because it had to fit under the heater vents, and two, it aims right at your face and makes it much easier to see.

Also, You have to look at the screen a lot less with this unit than you do iDrive because with the touch screen option it allows you to move through the menus much faster than iDrive does. It's also much simpler to use than iDrive.

One main reason I chose Eclipse is I had the previous version of this system in my last car and was used to it and really liked the way it worked. I considered some other options but without having any passed experience with them I decided to stick to what I know. The one thing that kinds sucks is the Eclipse won't read the phone book off my iPhone, not a big deal but would be cooler if it did. It will however read Blackberry phonebooks and many other phones too.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #52
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,271
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
For me it is the optimal position. One of the main things I hate about iDrive is it's high location. I can't stand catching the screen out of the corner of my eye all the time, especially at night even if it's set to the dimmest setting. It also has voice, so once you have your destination set it will tell you when to turn so it's not necessary to look at the screen all the time. You can simply wait until it's safe and with the screen being 7" you can quickly glance and get the info you need from it safely. Also, as you can see the screen is slightly angled up. This is for two reasons, one because it had to fit under the heater vents, and two, it aims right at your face and makes it much easier to see.

Also, You have to look at the screen a lot less with this unit than you do iDrive because with the touch screen option it allows you to move through the menus much faster than iDrive does. It's also much simpler to use than iDrive.

One main reason I chose Eclipse is I had the previous version of this system in my last car and was used to it and really liked the way it worked. I considered some other options but without having any passed experience with them I decided to stick to what I know. The one thing that kinds sucks is the Eclipse won't read the phone book off my iPhone, not a big deal but would be cooler if it did. It will however read Blackberry phonebooks and many other phones too.
I recall a setting to black out the idrive screen if no input is received from the driver. That would solve your issue about seeing the iDrive. As far as it being easier, I went from an Alpine touchscreen to iDrive and feel that the iDrive interface is much more intuitive once you get through the learning curve. I still have never encountered an aftermarket unit that can search through a USB flash drive as well as the OEM does.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #53
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I recall a setting to black out the idrive screen if no input is received from the driver. That would solve your issue about seeing the iDrive. As far as it being easier, I went from an Alpine touchscreen to iDrive and feel that the iDrive interface is much more intuitive once you get through the learning curve. I still have never encountered an aftermarket unit that can search through a USB flash drive as well as the OEM does.
even if you blackout the iDrive screen it doesn't actually shut off. It's still a lit screen which is in the corner of your eye.

I'm not sure how the Alpine interface is, but the Eclipse one is extremely easy to use.
__________________

Last edited by J08M3; 09-12-2009 at 08:13 AM.
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #54
srcstc
Major
 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,321
iTrader: (8)

I'm almost done with my bracket for a double-din. I already offer one where the headunit is centered in the dash but you have to relocate the climate controls.
My second one will look very much like the one posted from Japan just a lot cheaper.
I went with the radio on the bottom, climate controls on top because I don't want to hack up my climate controls and/or dash to make the climate controls fit on the bottom.

__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
srcstc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #55
srcstc
Major
 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,321
iTrader: (8)

One could relocate the oem radio to the trunk and not lose the gongs. All the parts needed are available.



http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=61&fg=15


You'd need parts 1, 5, 2, 3, 9, 11 to extend the optical connectors. Then just extend wires for the canbus, power/ground, wires for a small speaker to hear the gongs, etc.

If someone would put together a kit to relocate the HU I'm sure people would buy it.
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
srcstc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #56
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

srcstc - looks good, show some more pics. where are your climate controls?
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #57
BGM
Colonel
 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

Posts: 2,366
iTrader: (0)

this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
BGM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #58
srcstc
Major
 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,321
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
srcstc - looks good, show some more pics. where are your climate controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309990

Video:
[/size]

__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
srcstc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #59
BGM
Colonel
 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

Posts: 2,366
iTrader: (0)

oh, excellent video.. i looked up the unit and his bluetooth parrot built in, excellent!

i've been reading a lot about this recently, and is there anything specific that you no don't have after this mod?

and in a similar vein, are after market head units 'do-able' with a logic7 system? i am hearing not, but am unclear on the reasons why..

thanks!
BGM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #60
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

I'm considering selling this unit along with custom mounting bracket, face plate with CF fabric, climate controls since they are now part of the faceplate and iPod connector. Simple plug and play swap for anyone if interested.

PM me some offers.... Also would like to trade climate controls and stock faceplate so I can put my car back together.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #61
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
this stereo has bluetooth built in... it's no stumbling block.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #62
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

if anyone wants to get this?
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #63
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mdrobc13's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW 550i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!

Posts: 1,502
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
__________________
'12 F10 550i (Dinan Stage 5, LSD, Intercoolers, CF Intake/Brace, Shockware, Springs, Eisenmann Race Exhaust, CF front/rear difuser, Giovanni Graphite 20" wheels)
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'06 e85 Z4 M Roadster (Black Metallic) -Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #64
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
Yea, I had considered this option as well... Problem is the unit is way to low, especially all the buttons along the bottom of it. It becomes difficult to use and see that low.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #65
srcstc
Major
 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,321
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Yea, I had considered this option as well... Problem is the unit is way to low, especially all the buttons along the bottom of it. It becomes difficult to use and see that low.
You can reach the buttons easily while your hand rests on the shifter. It's not difficult to use at all, or see.
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
srcstc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #66
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
You can reach the buttons easily while your hand rests on the shifter. It's not difficult to use at all, or see.
Are you MT or DCT? I'm MT and it was too low with the shifter there right in front of it to mount like you did. It may be easier to use with DCT
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST