BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #23
foosh
Major

Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by imballin2day View Post
Thanks for trying to help.

I am trying to get these spacers off but they seem to be stuck and hard to take off. Anyone have any ideas?
Did your friend use a torque wrench set to 88 ft. lbs. when he installed the wheels, tires, and spacers? You did just put these on within the last couple of days, right?
      11-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #24
imballin2day
Banned

Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Send a message via AIM to imballin2day
he said he put it in by hand and he put it in last night.
imballin2day is offline   United_States
      11-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #25
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider

Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
are u kidding me?
No, actually I'm trying to help you...but you're making it incredibly difficult.

You have a set of wheels that require you to use spacers to fit properly, they apparently wobble, and the centercaps don't fit.

By now, I really thought you'd see the clear pattern that is emerging here...
      11-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #26
foosh
Major

Actually, a picture, or several, might help a great deal, so we could see the spacer that is currently stuck.

I also take it, that "your friend" did not use a properly set (or any) torque wrench based upon your last post. Is your friend an 800 lb. gorilla?

Over-torquing could easily be the cause of the stuck spacer, and could possibly have caused it to be not centered properly on the hub, which would then be the cause of your wobble.

You are making it incredibly difficult. Your communication style is not at all clear, and you don't seem to understand what some are honestly trying to do to help. Perhaps you've never actually changed a tire yourself, which means you don't understand what we are asking you.
      11-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #27
imballin2day
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Actually, a picture, or several, might help a great deal, so we could see the spacer that is currently stuck.

I also take it, that "your friend" did not use a properly set (or any) torque wrench based upon your last post. Is your friend an 800 lb. gorilla?

Over-torquing could easily be the cause of the stuck spacer, and could possibly have caused it to be not centered properly on the hub, which would then be the cause of your wobble.

You are making it incredibly difficult. Your communication style is not at all clear, and you don't seem to understand what some are honestly trying to do to help.
Yes "my friend" did. If your assuming I did this your wrong. As embarrassing as it sounds I could not do any of this if I tried. He did not use any wrench to put on the spacer. Are you saying he tightened it too much?
      11-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
foosh
Major

I have no clue what he did. I assume he used some sort of wrench, but not a torque wrench. It is easy to over-torque a lug, especially if you are very strong. The spec. for these lugs is 88 ft. lbs., and that is not a lot of force to apply.

If you're using spacers, over-torquing can be a prescription for major problems, especially if the torque is not evenly applied across all 5 lugs per wheel. The only way you'd know to apply even torque on each lug is with the proper tool (e.g. a properly set torque wrench).

The fact that your spacers were just put on and are now stuck is a major piece of evidence that your friend perhaps applied too much, and/or uneven, force to the lugs when installing your rear tires and spacers.
      11-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #29
imballin2day
Banned

Quote:
I have no clue what he did. I assume he used some sort of wrench, but not a torque wrench. It is easy to over-torque a lug, especially if you are very strong. The spec. for these lugs is 88 ft. lbs., and that is not a lot of force to apply.

If you're using spacers, over-torquing can be a prescription for major problems, especially if the torque is not evenly applied across all 5 lugs per wheel. The only way you'd know to apply even torque on each lug is with the proper tool (e.g. a properly set torque wrench).

The fact that your spacers were just put on and are now stuck is a major piece of evidence that your friend perhaps applied too much, and/or uneven, force to the lugs when installing your rear tires and spacers.

Ok, so do you know how I could fix this. I have no idea how to take this spacer off.
      11-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #30
foosh
Major

It's late for me on the east coast, and I don't think I can help you any more than I've tried. I think, at this point, you need to take the car into a tire and wheel shop.

I hesitate to say this given your experience level, but the only thing you can try at this point is GENTLY trying to pry it off with a screw driver and rubber mallet. Be careful . . .
      11-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #31
revster
Private

Drives: 2008 e90 M3

listen and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
Lemans_Blue actually knows his stuff. What he says is accurate and is usually the best advice on this whole forum, at least IMO. You might want to listen to him...
OP, you have two options:

* listen to the advice here and just do it. pictures would actually help us help you diagnose this problem. you have freely admitted that you have no car expertise (or perhaps even basic understanding), yet you resist heeding the advice here. (classic forum behaviour)

OR

* have a proper mechanic fix it. since you or your "friend" don't seem to know what you are doing, this is the absolute safest thing to do.

Whatever you decide, stop driving the car until you fix this.

Good luck.
      11-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #32
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici

Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Sorry, they are 360 forged.
You're kidding, right?

Screen name: imballin2day Check.
Area of country: LA Check.
Wheel type: 360 forged Check.

Computer analysis indicates you should be driving an Escalade with spinners and 95% tint.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
      11-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #33
imballin2day
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
You're kidding, right?

Computer analysis indicates you should be driving an Escalade with spinners and 95% tint.
Wow, thanks. You should win the funniest dumbass of the month award. Do you enjoy reading threads and contributing nothing to them? You must be a piece of shit lowlife with nothing to do posting that shit. And if your indicating that 95% is dark go check your facts cunt face.
      11-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #34
imballin2day
Banned

Quote:

OP, did you get the problem fixed?
Ya I actually did and thank you for attempting to help, unlike some people.
      11-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #35
foosh
Major

Well, the least you could do is tell me what the problem was, considering you consumed a healthy chunk of my time last night.
      11-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #36
imballin2day
Banned

Quote:
Well, the least you could do is tell me what the problem was, considering you consumed a healthy chunk of my time last night.
lol you were right. The problem was the spacer. I was a little frusturated last night and probably could have helped more with pics and more details. I want to apologize for that. Thanks for your help.
      11-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #37
foosh
Major

You are welcome. Glad you got it taken care of.
      11-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #38
imballin2day
Banned

Quote:
OP, i know you don't want to listen to this, but, you may want to get rid of those 360 Forged wheels. Go look at the other threads if you don't believe me. They are NOT quality wheels. You might say they look nice but what if something happens with the wheels when you're going 100+ on the freeway?! Just watching out.
I would not say they are not quality. I know many people have had problems with their delivery times and receiving the wrong specs on their wheels. There are a lot of happy customers also. I have not seen a problem with the quality though. Do you have a thread I could look at that would maybe change my mind? The only reason I would get rid of these is to go back to stock which I am thinking about. Thanks for your concern.
      11-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #39
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici

Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Wow, thanks. You should win the funniest dumbass of the month award. Do you enjoy reading threads and contributing nothing to them? You must be a piece of shit lowlife with nothing to do posting that shit. And if your indicating that 95% is dark go check your facts cunt face.
  1. Thank you. I like awards.
  2. I believe I did contribute. Making fun of people who put bling wheels on their cars without the knowledge of how those wheels F-up the car is contributing.
  3. I'm not a POS, but do enjoy the lowlife lifestyle on occasion.
  4. I actually stopped analyzing nuclear reactor steam line resonance for a few minutes to write that.
  5. Doh! I did get the tint thing backwards. What a POS lowlife I must be.
  6. That last name calling bit really hurt. Now I'm really sorry for implying you were a numb-nuts moron who bought a car in order to compensate for some other shortcoming, then bought a set of dumb ass wheels and put them on wrong.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
      11-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #40
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Wow, as a new member on here (although a regular on other forums), I am surprised and disappointed one can get away with that kind of nasty personal attack on this forum. Poor.

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
tuco44 is offline   Canada
      11-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #41
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch

Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Most aggressive post ever. Relax guys, this is fun, remember?!

BTW, what specifically was wrong with the spacer?
      11-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #42
foosh
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
You're kidding, right?

Yeah, he's very young, doesn't have much, if any, automotive experience, and he was scared and frustrated. He was also clearly provoked by the above. That was insulting. It doesn't excuse his response, but we've all suffered from lapses in judgement at times.

Sometimes it helps to remember when you were young, inexperienced, and you found yourself in a situation over your head. He did learn an important lesson last night (hopefully), and we've all been there, one way or another, in our formative years.
      11-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #43
Pete The Greek
the greek guy

Drives: 2010 M3 AW/FR

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
Don't lash out like that towards other members, most of them are trying to help. You can't be thin skinned and be a part of a public online forum.
Pete The Greek is offline   United_States
      11-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #44
bunnn
Colonel

Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
BTW, what specifically was wrong with the spacer?
I don't think it's isolated to the OP, my friend also had H&R spacers on his GTI, same issues, and he had quality wheels(well compared to 360f anyways; ABT SP1 and BBS CK for those who care) ...