BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #309
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Best not ask sticky because he would have told them not to bother, it would be too slow anyway.
If you asked me I would want to know if DSG will come later, THAT is the question I would ask. The Cayman S has a leg up in this sense.

Another thing, with no DSG, I am going to guess it won't be US market at first?
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #310
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,019
iTrader: (1)

OK back on topic...

Very nice looking car. Those composite rotors, esp. the aluminum hats are a piece of art.

0-200k in 15.9s, ain't going to happen with this power and weight. I'd say more like 18s. South where did that number come from?

With the specifications as listed I don't think this car will be much of an M3 (nor RS4) competitor, track or strip.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #311
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Those figures are from Audi themselves and considering the S4 with same power and torque does the 200km/h in the 18.Xs then something with over 200kg less has a fighting chance.

Who knows, maybe Audi are telling lies about the actual power.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #312
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,671
iTrader: (0)

OFF TOPIC, but Sticky hey interesting about your father surviving the WWII in a concentration camp etc. My grandparents kept 2 jewish children in their ranch in WWII which was prohibited by the Germans as we all know...and after WWII the children went to Canada by boat for a new live. My grandparents(both already RIP) haven't heard of them eversince....

Anyway, we Dutch are a victim of WWII but still sarcastic in our WWII humour.

For example this bad joke so don't read it if you don't feel comfortable:








"My grandfather died in a concentrationcamp in WWII, he fell off the watchtower"













Anyway back ontopic.

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #313
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK back on topic...

Very nice looking car. Those composite rotors, esp. the aluminum hats are a piece of art.

0-200k in 15.9s, ain't going to happen with this power and weight. I'd say more like 18s. South where did that number come from?

With the specifications as listed I don't think this car will be much of an M3 (nor RS4) competitor, track or strip.
That number comes from the German Audi site, thus it's pretty official. I like you am skeptical about that one though.


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #314
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That number comes from the German Audi site, thus it's pretty official. I like you am skeptical about that one though.


Best regards, south
There ain't many other 4wd coupes with 340hp and happen to weigh 1450kgs, I checked and the only one I came up with was the Carrera C4 which has 5 more horses but weighs 20kgs more and has 60Nm less torque.

According to Porsche the C4 covers the one kilometer in 23.8s, that only 0.5s slower than what BMW quote for the M3 to cover the same distance.

Will the TT-RS be any quicker than the C4 given it's extra torque and less weight..........?

That's the $64,000 question.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #315
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
There ain't many other 4wd coupes with 340hp and happen to weigh 1450kgs, I checked and the only one I came up with was the Carrera C4 which has 5 more horses but weighs 20kgs more and has 60Nm less torque.

According to Porsche the C4 covers the one kilometer in 23.8s, that only 0.5s slower than what BMW quote for the M3 to cover the same distance.

Will the TT-RS be any quicker than the C4 given it's extra torque and less weight..........?

That's the $64,000 question.
The Cayman S PDK as tested by Sportauto makes me doubt it: With a tested weight of 1458kg (less than the TT-RS) it did 0-200kph in 18.3s. After 100kph the AWD benefit is gone and the Cayman did that in 4.7s so these times seem to be quite comparable. TT-RS has more torque and slightly more power but is that enough for it being more than 2 seconds faster? Really the €64,000 question...


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #316
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The Cayman S PDK as tested by Sportauto makes me doubt it: With a tested weight of 1458kg (less than the TT-RS) it did 0-200kph in 18.3s. After 100kph the AWD benefit is gone and the Cayman did that in 4.7s so these times seem to be quite comparable. TT-RS has more torque and slightly more power but is that enough for it being more than 2 seconds faster? Really the 64,000 question...


Best regards, south
Can you explain how so many reviews have got the much heavier S4 to cover the same speed in 18.6s?

Cayman S vs TT-RS vs S4 vs E46 M3

weight: 1350kgs vs 1450kgs vs 1650kgs vs 1495kgs
Horsepower: 325hp vs 340hp vs 333hp vs 343hp
Torque: 370Nm vs 450Nm vs 440Nm vs 365Nm
0-100km/h: 4.7s vs 4.6s* vs 5.0s vs 4.8s
0-200km/h: 18.2s vs 15.9s* vs 18.6s vs 16.8s

* claimed and the M3 figures are also from SportAuto.

Based on the M3 vs TT-RS figures which the M3 weighing 45kgs more and producing 85Nm less torque the TT-RS figures maybe are optimistic but not by much.

It's as believeable as an E46 M3 doing 200km/h in 16.8s.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #317
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Can you explain how so many reviews have got the much heavier S4 to cover the same speed in 18.6s?

Cayman S vs TT-RS vs S4 vs E46 M3

weight: 1350kgs vs 1450kgs vs 1650kgs vs 1495kgs
Horsepower: 325hp vs 340hp vs 333hp vs 343hp
Torque: 370Nm vs 450Nm vs 440Nm vs 365Nm
0-100km/h: 4.7s vs 4.6s* vs 5.0s vs 4.8s
0-200km/h: 18.2s vs 15.9s* vs 18.6s vs 16.8s

* claimed and the M3 figures are also from SportAuto.

Based on the M3 vs TT-RS figures which the M3 weighing 45kgs more and producing 85Nm less torque the TT-RS figures maybe are optimistic but not by much.

It's as believeable as an E46 M3 doing 200km/h in 16.8s.
I guess we're talking about press cars.


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #318
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I guess we're talking about press cars.


Best regards, south
Hallelujah, someone with the same opinion as my own and that's is the cars supplied by manufacturers (press cars) have a little bit more grunt than your average car off the showroom floor.

So what is a realistic figure for all of these cars?
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #319
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Sorry for jumping into this thread late but over in the M5 world, there is much talk about the metric 60-130 mph as measured by Vbox (GPS based "accelerometer"). In that specific context it was a Dinan Stroker M5 vs. an ASR Nitrous M5.

But the good news with the 60-130 mph benchmark, there is a body of confirmed times.

Personally, I love this benchmark since it tests, power, drivetrain, aerodynamics and weight.....

Anyone dredge up times for the cars discussed here? (BTW, anything sub 10 seconds is good)

3.9*900+ rwhp Supra, 88mm turbo, 30 psi, TH400 Auto, ET Drags
4.74*996TT 890 rwhp, Divexxtreme 2-shifts
4.9 - 940 rwhp Supra (35 psi)
5.1 - 840 rwhp Supra (30 psi)
5.4 - 1,000 rwhp TT Viper
5.6 - Bugatti Veyron (estimate based off of verified 100 - 200kph time of 4.8)
5.9 - GSXR 1000 with bolt-ons
5.98*C5 Vette with big motor and NOS
6.1 - Saleen S7 Twin Turbo
6.69*Dr. Jitsu / 996 GT2 / 700 crank HP / 1-shift
6.9 - Mosler MT900S
7.0 - Ferrari Enzo
7.3 - Porsche Carrera GT
7.56*C5 Z06TT (APS Turbo, no cats, stock muffler, 573 rwhp @ 9.5 psi) / 1 shift
7.73*997TT with ECU flash / 2 shifts
7.86*Corvette C6 Z06, stock, Divexxtreme / 2 shifts)
8.07*Lamborghini LP640 / 2 shifts
8.86*Stock 997TT / 32 degrees, Tiptronic (0 shifts)
8.9 - Mercedes SLR McLaren
9.10*993 Ruf R Turbo 490 HP / 2 shifts
9.4 - Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0
9.5 - Ferrari F430
9.6 - Ferrari F50
10.06*996TT with ECU flash / 1 shift
10.9 - Lamborghini Murcielago
11.7 - Ferrari Challenge Stradale
12.1 - Lamborghini Gallardo
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #320
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
3.9*900+ rwhp Supra, 88mm turbo, 30 psi, [u]
...are you shitting me? How?
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #321
mixja
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Sticky vs...
mixja is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #322
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
...are you shitting me? How?

Don't shoot the messenger. Do a google on 60-130 for various list of times.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #323
Vorsprung
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 Audi RS4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

I would say the TT-RS isnt quite a direct rival to the M3, but if you're looking for something smaller and potentially quicker than the M3, this might just be it.

Interesting article here http://www.wheels24.co.za/Content/Ne...ker_than_an_M3


Some real life pics of the car...


Vorsprung is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #324
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,671
iTrader: (0)

Wow, I don't like that colour and the rear, but the wheels and stance are OK.
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #325
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

is it just me or the overall shape and rims are pretty ugly? I can't find anything attractive about it.

I can't see how anyone would take this over the m3. i hate the cayman, but I think it still look better than this tt.
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #326
M&M
Captain
 
M&M's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Pack
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts: 661
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung View Post
I would say the TT-RS isnt quite a direct rival to the M3,
How's it going buddy, long time no see. Whan you coming back to visit us?

I disagree on your post though. M3 is a 4 seater coupe. The Z4 M coupe would be more of a TT rival.
M&M is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #327
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M View Post
How's it going buddy, long time no see. Whan you coming back to visit us?

I disagree on your post though. M3 is a 4 seater coupe. The Z4 M coupe would be more of a TT rival.
the z4 m coupe is better looking than the tt-rs and if bmw put the m3 v8 in it just like how they put the e46 m3 engine in it. Then it would be a hit. I would choose the z4 m coupe over the tt any day even with it current hp.
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #328
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
the z4 m coupe is better looking than the tt-rs and if bmw put the m3 v8 in it just like how they put the e46 m3 engine in it. Then it would be a hit. I would choose the z4 m coupe over the tt any day even with it current hp.
I honestly thought the Z4M had been dropped for future plans, has that been changed or is this idea only wishful thinking?

BTW, I love the look of the new Z4 far more than the old one but where BMW has positioned the new car (i.e. closer to the SLK than Cayman) I don't see it as a competitor to the TT anymore.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST