BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Suggestion for good cold weather performance 18" tires

As the title says...

I need a good suggestion for cold weather performance tires to fit OEM 18s. The car is not going to be driven in the snow... But I wouldn't mind a tire that has some traction if I get stuck in freezing rain, light snow flurries or an occasional snow drift or some slush left over on the road. I definitely don't need an all out snow tire though, I'm much more concerned with performance.
      10-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I personally have had good results with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my 335i in the DC area. Driven in light snow, no problem.

I am not sure if these tires are made in M3 sizes, but the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS do, and they have absolutely great reviews at Tirerack. Goodyear F1 Allseason are also available in stock sizes, but have worse reviews.

When the time comes later in the year, I'll go with the RE960 AS on stock wheels (or stock-sized wheels). That way I'm sure to get home no matter the weather, and won't be abusing the PS2 during the 2-3 months of cold weather.

Hope this link works: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ank=2&x=56&y=9
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I personally have had good results with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my 335i in the DC area. Driven in light snow, no problem.

I am not sure if these tires are made in M3 sizes, but the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS do, and they have absolutely great reviews at Tirerack. Goodyear F1 Allseason are also available in stock sizes, but have worse reviews.

When the time comes later in the year, I'll go with the RE960 AS on stock wheels (or stock-sized wheels). That way I'm sure to get home no matter the weather, and won't be abusing the PS2 during the 2-3 months of cold weather.

Hope this link works: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ank=2&x=56&y=9

Did you get your M3 stateside yet?
      10-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
Did you get your M3 stateside yet?
Yes, 2 weeks ago to the day!

Even went with it to Chapterfest, but couldn't enter the auto-x (lack of time). I'd like to take a look at yours - let's get together in the next couple of weeks...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the link, anyone have experience with the Yokohama Advan S.4

would you recommend something like that over the Pirelli Winter 240 Scottozero?
      10-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
would you recommend something like that over the Pirelli Winter 240 Scottozero?
Well, the Yokos are all season and the Sottozeros are winter tires. The all seasons will generally give much more traction in the dry, the winters massively more in the snow. Wet & cold will probably be similar. Warm(er) weather will give a massive edge to the all seasons. Extreme cold will favor the winter compound.

It's all about what conditions you'll encounter and how you plan to drive the car. If you get a few weeks of snow per year, then the dedicated winters are the way to go. If - like we do here in the DC area - you get just a few days of snow and perhaps a few more of sleet/slush, high perf all seasons are most likely sufficient.

As far as direct experience with the Yokos, I don't have any. But if you head over at bimmerfest's E9x 3 series forum, (or perhaps over at E90post) there are people running them and they'll give you good real life results. What I've observed (and could be wrong), is that although Yokos used to be very popular with BMW owners at some point in the past, I think they may have fallen slightly out of favor in recent times - certainly the competition is very strong these days.

And although you cannot go badly wrong with any high performance all season, based on what TireRack has to say I'd still go with the Bridgestones. Better yet, call Gary @ TireRack (or whoever sponsors the tire forum) and ask him very specific questions about each tire - then you'll know what to get.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

adc -

appreciate the feedback. I'm leaning more towards an all season, because snow traction is only important for an emergency get home and is rare that it will happen. Our weather is very similar to yours and we get more sleet/freezing rain. If it's bad the M stays home and I drive my truck so performance is more my thing.

I've asked tirerack last year, and this year and their answer always seems to be dependent on which tires are currently in stock. Same question both years and different tire recommendations from same sales guy! Both times it was the tire in stock and the other I asked about that wasn't recommended as high was one that happened to not be in stock at the time..... not sure, it might have just been coincidence.

So I appreciate the independent reviews/suggestions from other forum members