BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

09-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Mighty M
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Embarrasing

http://www.valuesvotersummit.org/

Right, lets forget about separation of church and state. Its in the constitution, but lets legislate:

homosexulatity
drugs
birth control
womens rights
war against other races and religions
*christian* prayer in school

LETS LEGISLATE VALUES. WTF?!

But lets not forget the right to bear arms. I want the right to own a 50 cal machine gun. That part of the constituion is good to go. Just not the separation of church and state.
      09-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
shpirate87
Captain

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post

Right, lets forget about separation of church and state. Its in the constitution, but lets legislate:

homosexulatity
drugs
birth control
womens rights

But lets not forget the right to bear arms. I want the right to own a 50 cal machine gun. That part of the constituion is good to go. Just not the separation of church and state.
There is someone here who should be embarrassed. Guess who?

Helpful hint, drinking and posting do not go well together.
      09-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:

You have the right, and the ability actually, to own a 50 cal machine gun in VA. The problem is the cost, as most 50 cal machine guns start at $25,000 and go up from there. VA also requires state registration of all machine guns in addition to the Federal NFA Form 4.

Contrary to popular belief, owning machine guns in 100% legal in 42 of the 50 states. But in some states, like CA and NJ, while it is legal to own them (but not semi-auto AR15's go figure), it is effectively banned through administrative actions. One of the requirements for the NFA Form 4 is for the Chief Law Enforcement Officer to certify that you aren't a bad guy. Most CLEO's simply won't sign it to keep you from obtaining the item, even if it is completely legal.
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      09-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:

homosexulatity
drugs
birth control
womens rights

They don't like it when government tells them what to do, however they love to use government to tells others what to do who don't have the same beliefs as them.

Funny, seeing how these people push and reiterate that our country is a republic yet they go against what a republic should be.
      09-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
lib
Major

Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
You have the right, and the ability actually, to own a 50 cal machine gun in VA. The problem is the cost, as most 50 cal machine guns start at $25,000 and go up from there. VA also requires state registration of all machine guns in addition to the Federal NFA Form 4.

Contrary to popular belief, owning machine guns in 100% legal in 42 of the 50 states. But in some states, like CA and NJ, while it is legal to own them (but not semi-auto AR15's go figure), it is effectively banned through administrative actions. One of the requirements for the NFA Form 4 is for the Chief Law Enforcement Officer to certify that you aren't a bad guy. Most CLEO's simply won't sign it to keep you from obtaining the item, even if it is completely legal.
There are actually two ways to fill out that form. One is receiving the CLEO's signature and as you stated, many will simply refuse hoping you will drop it there.

The other way is to form a revocable living trust. The trust (aka. you) can then legally obtain and own an NFA firearm without involving the local CLEO. I believe this way is usually quicker and requires less paperwork.

IMO, a CLEO refusing to sign any and all forms is just shooting himself in the foot. If people go to him with the form he at least knows what's in his neighborhood. By forcing people to go through a trust he has no clue what might be right next door.

The same approach also applies to short barreled rifles and other NFA firearms.

The hard part with obtaining a legal automatic weapon is not the permission. It's the cost. Expect to pay around $30k to $60k for what the OP is probably thinking of.

Last edited by lib; 09-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
      09-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
There are actually two ways to fill out that form. One is receiving the CLEO's signature and as you stated, many will simply refuse hoping you will drop it there.

The other way is to form a revocable living trust. The trust (aka. you) can then legally obtain and own an NFA firearm without involving the local CLEO. I believe this way is usually quicker and requires less paperwork.

IMO, a CLEO refusing to sign any and all forms is just shooting himself in the foot. If people go to him with the form he at least knows what's in his neighborhood. By forcing people to go through a trust he has no clue what might be right next door.

The same approach also applies to short barreled rifles and other NFA firearms.

The hard part with obtaining a legal automatic weapon is not the permission. It's the cost. Expect to pay around $30k to $60k for what the OP is probably thinking of.
That is true, as I have several NFA items held by a non-profit corp for "testing, evaluation and education" purposes. I got into NFA stuff before the trust route was really fully flushed out.

Sadly, WA doesn't allow for SBRs, SBSs or MGs for mere civilians. And going the corporate or trust route doesn't trump that either. Now, if I pay the SOT in addition to my 01 FFL, then I can have them here too.
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      09-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Right, lets forget about separation of church and state. Its in the constitution...
Where is that?

U.S. Constitution

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      09-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
purespeed
Private First Class

Drives: 67 cobra

Talking scottwww

Very clever. You are correct. I used your link and found:

The Separation Of Church and State

The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Nice link...goes in my favorites which means I'll never see another Constitution question.
      09-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by purespeed View Post
Very clever. You are correct. I used your link and found:

The Separation Of Church and State

The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Nice link...goes in my favorites which means I'll never see another Constitution question.
Amendment 1 - 12/15/1791.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States