BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GetBMWParts

09-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #23
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanM3 View Post
I've been researching a ton on this subject too...and have currently narrowed my sights on the following:

1. Borla

2. UUC / Corsa

Any opinions on either of these systems? I want an aggressive deep tone too but, would like to minimize drone. From the research I've done so far, I'm leaning towards the Borla system because the reported drone is around 2K RPM and I don't ever really plan on driving the car < 2K RPM. The UUC / Corsa system on the other hand have reported minor droning at 70 - 75 mph area and I don't want any droning while cruising on the highway.

The only other system I've considered, primarily due to the warranty and claims of zero drone is Dinan. My biggest fear with this system is that it might not be loud enough (looking for a fine balance between not loud enough and insanely loud)...and cosmetically, I am not a fan of the black ceramic coated tips (minor annoyance but, still a consideration).

I agree with all about hearing the real thing in the flesh...anyone running any of the systems I mentioned or by others in the central CT area?
Out of those two choices, I'd pick the UUC Corsa.

I don't know if you've seen these youtube vids, but here's the link to many vids just in case:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Also, I've heard that the Dinan may not be the absolute perfect exhaust, but I know that it's the best compromise in a aftermarket exhaust for the M3. I rarely see anyone selling it afterwards due to regret. And I know for sure that the Dinan is a definite upgrade for an exhaust. It does provide an upgrade in sound and a slight increase in power also.

btw, a rear portion exhaust will not affect your warranty since it's a minor modification.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Drives: '11 535xi, (former '08 M3)

has anyone come up with a side exit exhaust and a custom side skirt for the m3 yet? that might look cool!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #25
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
has anyone come up with a side exit exhaust and a custom side skirt for the m3 yet? that might look cool!
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=supercharger
      09-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #26
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep

Drives: :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
Perhaps, but may be a little "Americana" for an M, no?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZNG View Post
Perhaps, but may be a little "Americana" for an M, no?
Is it?

This comes out the side....
Name:  6453_153642777941_688837941_3562926_4792097_n.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  75.1 KB
      09-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #28
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Drives: '11 535xi, (former '08 M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
cool thanks for the link, awsome build....total custom fabrication, but I wonder if anyone will make a kit like this...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #29
GmanM3
Rep

Drives: E92 ///M3

UUC / Corsa Option

I'm sold on the UUC / Corsa for it's tone and fit/finish (from what I can tell in photos) however, I can't live with any major droning at ~3K RPM (70 - 75 MPH) range. The only way I keep myself legal and honest during long highway rides is to engage the cruise control. Our typical speed limit is set at 65 so, I usually skirt the limit and set it right in this range. The video from Turner didn't sound like anything I couldn't live without but, I really like like to hear it to judge for myself.

Other than driving to Turner for a potential listen, does anyone in CT have this system?...could I listen?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #30
niterider
Proove It!
Rep

Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
You cannot go wrong with that suggestion, and it will probably be the best recommendation you get.
vz
+2 on this
      09-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #31
niterider
Proove It!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
I've had Gintani and AP. No contest...the AP sounds awesome but doesn't drone .

I think some people are just really picky (nothing wrong with that) and the Gintani exhaust is not for everyone. Its loud, but sounds amazing, and the drone level on my full catless system is very low considering my set up, Im sure people who have gotten a ride in my car can agree. However like I said, its not for everyone. It def. separates the men from the boys. So it comes down to basically what ur looking for out of the exhaust like sound, power, tip style etc.

My Gf has driven my car for weeks at a time and she has never complaint about the noise or any annoying drone. Take in mind I had a e46 M3 with a straight pipe system and only a muffler, so she knows what drone is.
      09-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #32
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
I think some people are just really picky (nothing wrong with that) and the Gintani exhaust is not for everyone. Its loud, but sounds amazing, and the drone level on my full catless system is very low considering my set up, Im sure people who have gotten a ride in my car can agree. However like I said, its not for everyone. It def. separates the men from the boys. So it comes down to basically what ur looking for out of the exhaust like sound, power, tip style etc.

My Gf has driven my car for weeks at a time and she has never complaint about the noise or any annoying drone. Take in mind I had a e46 M3 with a straight pipe system and only a muffler, so she knows what drone is.
If by that comment you mean that men have lost enough of their hearing not to be bothered by the high decibels, then you are correct.

That's the nice thing about having so many exhaust choices for the M3--there is sure to be one out there that you will love no matter how your brain is wired.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #33
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep

Drives: :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Is it?

This comes out the side....
Attachment 302386
Good (& rare find), but even McLaren knew not to put them towards the rear of the rocker panel. Besides, some Brits want to be like Americans anyway. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #34
///MSpt550xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F10 550xi

I appreciate everyone's input here. I think that I am leaning towards one brand right now, but I am still not 100% sure I even want to do this mod.

Unfortunately, there isn't anyone close to me that has the brand that I am looking at, so I can get a feel for the sound and look, but ohh well.

If I decide to take the plunge, I will post it up.

Thanks again!
2012 F10 550xi M Sport, Dark Graphite Metallic II, Black Nappa, Aluminum Hexagon Trim, Cold Weather Package, Ceramic Controls, Premium Sound Package, Luxury Seating Package, 30% Tint, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #35
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MThree View Post
I appreciate everyone's input here. I think that I am leaning towards one brand right now, but I am still not 100% sure I even want to do this mod.

Unfortunately, there isn't anyone close to me that has the brand that I am looking at, so I can get a feel for the sound and look, but ohh well.

If I decide to take the plunge, I will post it up.

Thanks again!
What brand are you looking at? (You don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #36
///MSpt550xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I may have change my mind again. Ugh! So any more input that anyone has would be appreciated.
2012 F10 550xi M Sport, Dark Graphite Metallic II, Black Nappa, Aluminum Hexagon Trim, Cold Weather Package, Ceramic Controls, Premium Sound Package, Luxury Seating Package, 30% Tint, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #37
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

for someone who's a bit nervous about changing exhaust I would recommend the Eisenmann Sport. Although it's a bit more money then you were looking to spend, it's not overly loud but the sound is much more aggressive and really fits the car without drawing too much attention to it. The build quality is top notch and it just bolts right on.
      09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #38
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
for a milder sound level,

I recommend the folloring:
1. Bastuck (full bolt on with TUV certified sound level)
2. Eisenmann Sport + Connecting pipe (for full bolt-on capability)

Bastuck on ESS car:

Sound clip on Montreal Red's car:

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #39
niterider
Proove It!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
If by that comment you mean that men have lost enough of their hearing not to be bothered by the high decibels, then you are correct.

That's the nice thing about having so many exhaust choices for the M3--there is sure to be one out there that you will love no matter how your brain is wired.
No by my comment I mean some people are just out to play with power and some people like me are out to get serious about it Im not concerned about noise level, I just want the most power, thats what Ive always been about.

And I agree on ur second comment, Its great to have so many options (even tho it can get difficult when choosing) and its great so many companies are interested in the e9x M3.
      09-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #40
///MSpt550xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, I finally made up my mind and ordered the exhaust yesterday. I decided to go with the Remus Race.

I read a lot of reviews, and listened to a lot of sound clips, and it seemed to be what I was looking for. Also, I got it for a ridiculous price!

It should be here next Wednesday and hopefully will be installed same day.

Thanks again for everyones input!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #41
e92MMM
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: e92 m3 frozen

do they make connecting pipes for the remus race and do you mind me asking where you got it from. im interested in the remus also. thanks
Appreciate 0