BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #45
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
2000gsr's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Do you have the seat warmers in your car? If so, I don't see the buttons to turn them on.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44350&dateline=125013  4806
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #46
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
Do you have the seat warmers in your car? If so, I don't see the buttons to turn them on.
no I don't
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #47
excitebike99
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Awesome ....

When I bought my M3, I opted out of the navi and iDrive so that I can go the route you just did. Very nice! Frankly, I have found that no factory-based navigation system worked as good as a cheap portable Garmin.

Great choice and execution, but just wondering what went into your choice of Eclipse versus Pioneer or Kenwood (with the Garmin-based navi)? With a few weeks of playing around with it, any further comments you wanted to add?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #48
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

I'd go this route for an audio upgrade but NEVER for a navi unit. The screen is simply too low to be able to see easily and it's hard to keep your eyes anywhere near the road when you're staring at your center console. I was going to go this route with some Alpine F#1 Status gear but there still isn't anything that does everything iDrive does as well as iDrive does it so I'm just going to feed the iDrive outputs into my Audioson Bit One and go from there.

It does look really good was extremely well done though.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #49
badfish
Major
badfish's Avatar
35
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I'd go this route for an audio upgrade but NEVER for a navi unit. The screen is simply too low to be able to see easily and it's hard to keep your eyes anywhere near the road when you're staring at your center console. I was going to go this route with some Alpine F#1 Status gear but there still isn't anything that does everything iDrive does as well as iDrive does it so I'm just going to feed the iDrive outputs into my Audioson Bit One and go from there.
Granted, the position is not optimal but when I use navigation in my other cars I am rarely looking at the screen. It's dangerous to do even if you have the OEM iDrive navigation screen position. Best just to glance at it in safe conditions...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #50
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Agreed. I was just saying a higher position is safer. I really do like the work though. Can't wait to see the rest of the system.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #51
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

For me it is the optimal position. One of the main things I hate about iDrive is it's high location. I can't stand catching the screen out of the corner of my eye all the time, especially at night even if it's set to the dimmest setting. It also has voice, so once you have your destination set it will tell you when to turn so it's not necessary to look at the screen all the time. You can simply wait until it's safe and with the screen being 7" you can quickly glance and get the info you need from it safely. Also, as you can see the screen is slightly angled up. This is for two reasons, one because it had to fit under the heater vents, and two, it aims right at your face and makes it much easier to see.

Also, You have to look at the screen a lot less with this unit than you do iDrive because with the touch screen option it allows you to move through the menus much faster than iDrive does. It's also much simpler to use than iDrive.

One main reason I chose Eclipse is I had the previous version of this system in my last car and was used to it and really liked the way it worked. I considered some other options but without having any passed experience with them I decided to stick to what I know. The one thing that kinds sucks is the Eclipse won't read the phone book off my iPhone, not a big deal but would be cooler if it did. It will however read Blackberry phonebooks and many other phones too.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #52
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
For me it is the optimal position. One of the main things I hate about iDrive is it's high location. I can't stand catching the screen out of the corner of my eye all the time, especially at night even if it's set to the dimmest setting. It also has voice, so once you have your destination set it will tell you when to turn so it's not necessary to look at the screen all the time. You can simply wait until it's safe and with the screen being 7" you can quickly glance and get the info you need from it safely. Also, as you can see the screen is slightly angled up. This is for two reasons, one because it had to fit under the heater vents, and two, it aims right at your face and makes it much easier to see.

Also, You have to look at the screen a lot less with this unit than you do iDrive because with the touch screen option it allows you to move through the menus much faster than iDrive does. It's also much simpler to use than iDrive.

One main reason I chose Eclipse is I had the previous version of this system in my last car and was used to it and really liked the way it worked. I considered some other options but without having any passed experience with them I decided to stick to what I know. The one thing that kinds sucks is the Eclipse won't read the phone book off my iPhone, not a big deal but would be cooler if it did. It will however read Blackberry phonebooks and many other phones too.
I recall a setting to black out the idrive screen if no input is received from the driver. That would solve your issue about seeing the iDrive. As far as it being easier, I went from an Alpine touchscreen to iDrive and feel that the iDrive interface is much more intuitive once you get through the learning curve. I still have never encountered an aftermarket unit that can search through a USB flash drive as well as the OEM does.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #53
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I recall a setting to black out the idrive screen if no input is received from the driver. That would solve your issue about seeing the iDrive. As far as it being easier, I went from an Alpine touchscreen to iDrive and feel that the iDrive interface is much more intuitive once you get through the learning curve. I still have never encountered an aftermarket unit that can search through a USB flash drive as well as the OEM does.
even if you blackout the iDrive screen it doesn't actually shut off. It's still a lit screen which is in the corner of your eye.

I'm not sure how the Alpine interface is, but the Eclipse one is extremely easy to use.
__________________

Last edited by J08M3; 09-12-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #54
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

I'm almost done with my bracket for a double-din. I already offer one where the headunit is centered in the dash but you have to relocate the climate controls.
My second one will look very much like the one posted from Japan just a lot cheaper.
I went with the radio on the bottom, climate controls on top because I don't want to hack up my climate controls and/or dash to make the climate controls fit on the bottom.

__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #55
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

One could relocate the oem radio to the trunk and not lose the gongs. All the parts needed are available.



http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=61&fg=15


You'd need parts 1, 5, 2, 3, 9, 11 to extend the optical connectors. Then just extend wires for the canbus, power/ground, wires for a small speaker to hear the gongs, etc.

If someone would put together a kit to relocate the HU I'm sure people would buy it.
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #56
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

srcstc - looks good, show some more pics. where are your climate controls?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #57
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
26
Rep
2,367
Posts

 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

iTrader: (0)

this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #58
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
srcstc - looks good, show some more pics. where are your climate controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309990

Video:
[/size]

__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #59
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
26
Rep
2,367
Posts

 
Drives: F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK

iTrader: (0)

oh, excellent video.. i looked up the unit and his bluetooth parrot built in, excellent!

i've been reading a lot about this recently, and is there anything specific that you no don't have after this mod?

and in a similar vein, are after market head units 'do-able' with a logic7 system? i am hearing not, but am unclear on the reasons why..

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #60
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

I'm considering selling this unit along with custom mounting bracket, face plate with CF fabric, climate controls since they are now part of the faceplate and iPod connector. Simple plug and play swap for anyone if interested.

PM me some offers.... Also would like to trade climate controls and stock faceplate so I can put my car back together.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #61
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
this is an excellent thread an exactly what i want to do with my e92, rather then having idrive. I will certainly be showing this to my installer..

the only remaining stumbling block now is to sort out some bluetooth phone action... i'm sure there must be a way..
this stereo has bluetooth built in... it's no stumbling block.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #62
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

if anyone wants to get this?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #63
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
mdrobc13's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,622
Posts

 
Drives: Made in Bavaria
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
__________________
'14 F06 650xi Gran Coupe (Carbon Black)- Mine #1
'10 e70 X5M (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #2
'12 F10 550i (Dinan modded) - Gone
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #64
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
Yea, I had considered this option as well... Problem is the unit is way to low, especially all the buttons along the bottom of it. It becomes difficult to use and see that low.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #65
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Very nice unit. Very nice set up. IMHO better than the 1st one in terms of look and OEM fit. Low mounted though too much so for my tastes but if I had a choice between the two I'd choose this one rather than the CF-Eclipse set up.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Yea, I had considered this option as well... Problem is the unit is way to low, especially all the buttons along the bottom of it. It becomes difficult to use and see that low.
You can reach the buttons easily while your hand rests on the shifter. It's not difficult to use at all, or see.
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #66
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
You can reach the buttons easily while your hand rests on the shifter. It's not difficult to use at all, or see.
Are you MT or DCT? I'm MT and it was too low with the shifter there right in front of it to mount like you did. It may be easier to use with DCT
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST