BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GetBMWParts

08-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Meanie
Private

Drives: BMW E92 M3 + BMW E90 LCI 325i

AFe Dry filter Q

Hi there guys,

First off this is my first post here on the M3 forums... so howdy!

I have a bit of a concerning question(s), I have replaced the stock filter with an AFe Dry.

Once the new filter is installed the "tension ball/bar" does not push against the filter, if I compare the 2 filters they both are identical except for the top piece of the intakes where the tension ball is meant to push into, on the AFE there is just a circular dip, however with the OEM it has a 2cm round tube/rubber coming out of the filter which pushes against the tension ball when installed to hold it in... is this a problem? Should I be worried?

Secondly, when driving the car, I can feel an immediate difference in response, throttle and tone, however when above 3000rpm I start to hear what I can only best describe as a very light whistle. Is this sound normal for this filter or is this the result of the tension ball not pressing against housing of the filter.

Should you guys need photos, I am sure I can always dig up my camera and take a few snaps.

Thanks for the help in advance and sorry if it is a bit of a retarded bunch of questions...

Kind Regards

Last edited by Meanie; 08-28-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Meanie is offline   South Africa
      08-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider

Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
Hi there guys,

First off this is my first post here on the M3 forums... so howdy!

I have a bit of a concerning question. I have replaced the stock filter with the AFe Dry, however I would like to ask a few questions...

Once installed the "tension ball/bar" does not push again the filter, if I compare the 2 filters they are both identical bar the top piece of the intakes where tension ball is meant to push into is dipped into the filter, but with the OEM it has a 2cm round tube coming from the filter which pushes against the tension ball when installed to hold it in... is this a problem? Should I be worried?

Secondly, when driving the car, I can feel an immediate difference in response difference in throttle and tone, however above 3000rpm I start to hear what I can best describe as a very light whistle. Is this normal for this filter or is this the result of the tension ball not pressing against the filter.

Should you guys need photos, I am sure I can always dig up my camera and take a few snaps.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Kind Regards
Umm..it doesn't sound like English is your first language.

What country do you live in now?

And is your M3 US-spec or Euro-spec?
      08-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Meanie
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Umm..it doesn't sound like English is your first language.

What country do you live in now?

And is your M3 US-spec or Euro-spec?
LOL, you don't have to be so anal about my grammer, I fixed it up just for you... sort of

I live in South Africa and I can only assume that it is Euro-spec...

Kind Regards
      08-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
LOL, you don't have to be so anal about my grammer, I fixed it up just for you... sort of

I live in South Africa and I can only assume that it is Euro-spec...

Kind Regards
Sorry, I wasn't being 'anal' as you put it. I couldn't tell where you live since the location under your username doesn't list it.

The reason I was so keen on finding out where you live...is that the M3 uses two different air filters.

One for US-spec cars.

One for Euro-spec cars.

The two different air filters are not directly interchangeable AFAIK.

If you received a US-spec AFE filter for your Euro-spec M3, then this would explain why it doesn't fit correctly.

Where did you buy your AFE air filter? Local shop or online store?
      08-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Meanie
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Sorry, I wasn't being 'anal' as you put it. I couldn't tell where you live since the location under your username doesn't list it.

The reason I was so keen on finding out where you live...is that the M3 uses two different air filters.

One for US-spec cars.

One for Euro-spec cars.

The two different air filters are not directly interchangeable AFAIK.

If you received a US-spec AFE filter for your Euro-spec M3, then this would explain why it doesn't fit correctly.

Where did you buy your AFE air filter? Local shop or online store?
No worries, my bad, I guess I am a little eager to get an answer as I don't want to halm my car. So I guess it is my fault that I could not construct a proper sentence. Apologise!

Anyways, I did purchase the product from an online vendor on the forum, however will not mention their name out of respect from getting FANTASTIC service and pricing from them.

Does the "whistling" sound I hear come from the result of the intake taking in unfiltered air(leaking?) from not having the tension ball pushing against it or is this just the standard performance of the upgraded filter?

Kind Regards
      08-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Lemans_Blue_M is 100% correct on this, aFe only offers US fitments.

You will need the Macht Schnell Air Filter Adapter in order to run that filter with your M3 (euro spec):

Now for the bad news: The "whistle" you are hearing is from a bad seal on the filter, likely since it doesn't fit your vehicle. Fantastic pricing doesn't mean a thing if you were sold an incorrect part.

Contact me directly and I'll get you fixed up.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
      08-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Ryan@IND

Drives: M3

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
i think that you got the US version instead of the Euro version that you need.

US Version

Euro Version

there are distinct part numbers and we usually make sure via Vin, for international customers! We even realized that some countries have Euro Bumpers without reflectors but have US spec filters.... gotta make sure....
Ryan@IND is offline   United_States
      08-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M

Here is what will tell the story...

Does your AFE filter look like this (US-spec M3 filter):

Or does it look like this (Euro-spec M3 filter):

I strongly suspect you were sold the wrong version of the AFE filter, since you have a Euro-spec built car.
      08-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Meanie
Private

Sigh... this sucks! Oh well, time to reinstall the stock filter until I can get the right one!

Thanks a million for all the help guys!

You guys ROCK!
      08-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
simonlam168
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E93-M3 F10-M5

Mine is Euro-spec E93 M3. I also have AFE air filter installed as well. I bought them from Evosport. I think i also got the wrong one

simonlam168 is offline   Hong Kong
      08-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
tom @ eas

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlam168 View Post
Mine is Euro-spec E93 M3. I also have AFE air filter installed as well. I bought them from Evosport. I think i also got the wrong one
It appears so, the top will need to appear as in the 2nd picture in Lemans_Blue_M's post for EU spec vehicles.

Otherwise, you will need the filter extension or exchange for the correct filter.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
      08-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Meanie
Private

Hey guys,

Just a quick update...

I installed the original filter back into the M3 and everything is back to normal. Everything is sealed nicely and the tension mount is pushing nicely against the filter.

I took the M3 for a spin just to make sure everything is fine and still the exact same whistle is there. I am thinking that the whistle that I am hearing comes from the AFe scoops that I installed at the same time. Can somebody just confirm this for me please?

Just a bit more info, the whistle only starts from about +100km/h.

Thanks a mil!
      08-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
simonlam168
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E93-M3 F10-M5

I also have wrong AFE air filter with RPI scoops installed but I do not hear "whistle" sound. I am going to put the stock air filter back on tomorrow.
simonlam168 is offline   Hong Kong