BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > M-Flight
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
US specs car to EU Specs

For all those that want to import or bring your US car into Europe, here is what I changed to get it as EU as possible.
First I had some required changes in order to have it imported into Holland, then I made some voluntary changes.

Required:
- Orange front leds to be taken out
- Fog lights and Fog light switch
- Orange rear turn signals

Voluntary:
- EU Speedo and Rev meter
- Clear front reflectors
- EU mirrors (with 'dead angle' view)

Other changes:
- '09 iDrive knob
- 456PS
- Speed limiter removed
- EU Navi-maps...

Some pictures:

Before:

After:

Fog lights:

For importing I was not allowed to have a fog light switch for front and back fogs, as no front fogs are present.
2009 Fog lights switch:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
You must change the US settings to Canadian settings in order to have the KMH-Speedo and cruise control working properly.

Orange fronts:

Clears:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

New idrive know now fully installed.
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS

Last edited by Atny286; 06-13-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Pictures added above...
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wow! Awesome! You answered a question that I was unsure about for a very long time...a KMH speedo can be added to a US spec car!

I originally tried to do this while in Germany, but the SA told me that it would cost 700 euros for a new console, and that there was no guarantee that it would work. They said that nobody had wanted to do it before, and BMW could not provide a definitive answer as to how or whether it would work. Did you just take a gamble, or did someone tell you about the Canadian work around?

Cool!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
I gambled a bit... while discussion with the dealer, the dealer wondered why US Specs had KMH as well, so I told them that Canada had KMHs too. So was not a red or black gamble...

Now thinking of the euro-bumper as the clear reflectors are not too bright any more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Wow! Awesome! You answered a question that I was unsure about for a very long time...a KMH speedo can be added to a US spec car!

I originally tried to do this while in Germany, but the SA told me that it would cost 700 euros for a new console, and that there was no guarantee that it would work. They said that nobody had wanted to do it before, and BMW could not provide a definitive answer as to how or whether it would work. Did you just take a gamble, or did someone tell you about the Canadian work around?

Cool!
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
MTROIS
Major
MTROIS's Avatar
France
22
Rep
1,111
Posts

 
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the info! Looks great!!
__________________
2008 M3 Coupé | 1995 M3 LTW | BMW CCA Instructor
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
798
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (4)

iDrive?

...soooo... I've been told that I can't upgrade my iDrive to the 09 module because I have an E90 and the iDrive upgrade is only for the E92/93 (sedan wasn't upgraded for 2009). Seems you have done the impossible. Did you just use the E92 kit? Details, please!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
bryanwxup
B. W.
bryanwxup's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i US Spec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bremen, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
...soooo... I've been told that I can't upgrade my iDrive to the 09 module because I have an E90 and the iDrive upgrade is only for the E92/93 (sedan wasn't upgraded for 2009). Seems you have done the impossible. Did you just use the E92 kit? Details, please!
Whaaa? I have an 09 335i sedan also. I hope this works. My colleague here from the Embassy also has an 09 335i, but coupe, and his idrive Navi is identical to the one in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
...soooo... I've been told that I can't upgrade my iDrive to the 09 module because I have an E90 and the iDrive upgrade is only for the E92/93 (sedan wasn't upgraded for 2009). Seems you have done the impossible. Did you just use the E92 kit? Details, please!
I have not heard about different kits for E90 vs E92. All the same IMO. Did you check Real.oem? All buttons work fine, just plug and play.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=65&fg=45
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
nasca
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 E36 Turbo
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Republic of Moldova

iTrader: (0)

my friends
i'm from ukraine and i want to buy a M3 or m5 e60 from USA but somebody told me that US version differs from EU version ,please, if somebody know which are differences between US and EU, For me it's more important to know the differnce on the engine and chassis
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasca View Post
my friends
i'm from ukraine and i want to buy a M3 or m5 e60 from USA but somebody told me that US version differs from EU version ,please, if somebody know which are differences between US and EU, For me it's more important to know the differnce on the engine and chassis
I don;t know the ukraine regulation, but for EEG/EU is pretty much as described above.
Make sure your dealer supports your US specs car in maintenance.
Almost all differences (see above) are overcomeable... Only the radio freqs may be not so easy as you need 2 radios for service (see also above).

Good luck!
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
Moxie's Avatar
Germany
25
Rep
1,860
Posts

 
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (11)

Must be a Netherland's thing - You can register US spec cars in Germany & drive them all over the EU - No problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
osteome
Major
osteome's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
1,096
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 SSII/Bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Must be a Netherland's thing - You can register US spec cars in Germany & drive them all over the EU - No problem.
Registering a US spec in Europe is pretty much only permitted under SOFA. If you are an ex-pat in Europe without SOFA protection, I do belive you have to fall in line with the same law the locals do for vehicle compliance.
__________________
2009 M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo: 6MT, Tech, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound, Ipod, 19'' Wheels, OEM Exhaust Mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Registering a US spec in Europe is pretty much only permitted under SOFA. If you are an ex-pat in Europe without SOFA protection, I do belive you have to fall in line with the same law the locals do for vehicle compliance.
Yep, the BS rules for locals. The US Specs car must be EU Specs compliant for safety reasons... unless you are on a government program, then you can drive an unmodified US Specs car in the EU... what was it again, oh yeah, safety reasons...BS!
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:37 AM   #14
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
21
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: E91 Sportwagon
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (1)

Another set of posts with similar info

FYI, there is also another set of postings on this topic that may be of interest.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234229
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #15
hanmaas
Lieutenant
hanmaas's Avatar
Germany
7
Rep
577
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
The US Specs car must be EU Specs compliant for safety reasons... unless you are on a government program, then you can drive an unmodified US Specs car in the EU... what was it again, oh yeah, safety reasons...BS!
I have a US spec car in Germany registered through a special permit. I didn't have to change out any parts. However, BMW denied to change out the speedo, claiming it "wouldn't be possible". Atny286, which dealership did you have the conversion work regarding the instrument cluster done? Maybe it is worth giving them a call to see if they would be willing to swap mine out too.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
I have a US spec car in Germany registered through a special permit. I didn't have to change out any parts. However, BMW denied to change out the speedo, claiming it "wouldn't be possible". Atny286, which dealership did you have the conversion work regarding the instrument cluster done? Maybe it is worth giving them a call to see if they would be willing to swap mine out too.
My dealer also said, it was not possible. Then I told him I would be willing to take shot and have it swapped. My rather small dealer (100km away from my hometown) is not used to having M3 owners as customers... I convinced him to try out. We set the program to Canadian mode and it worked fine. I have had an external GPS and the speedo was not more than 5% off, that's even less than I had on my US Speedo... I can introduce you to him, but as BMW AG does not want local dealer to do this kind of work, I'd like to talk to him first before giving any contact details.
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
meevo
Private First Class
4
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives: Cars
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Is there a difference in the front bumper/lip area of the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meevo View Post
Is there a difference in the front bumper/lip area of the car?
Not on my car, just clear reflectors...
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
meevo
Private First Class
4
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives: Cars
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

i mean between the usdm and the euro spec
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
meevo
Private First Class
4
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives: Cars
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

when you changed to 09 idrive knob, everything worked properly?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Atny286's Avatar
Netherlands
9
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meevo View Post
i mean between the usdm and the euro spec
I'm not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meevo View Post
when you changed to 09 idrive knob, everything worked properly?
Yep, just plug and play, all buttons work!
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
Chi-town expat
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: None at the moment
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Hi there,

Could anyone tell me if there are any differences between the software/hardware of US spec M3's vs Euro spec?

I'm temporarily living in the US and would like to buy an E92 M3 somewhere in the near future to take it with me to the Netherlands when I return. I have checked with my BMW dealer in the Netherlands what adjustments I'd have to make and he says that they can adjust the lights to make it compliant with Dutch regulation, but that BMW in the NL would not be able to do any software/programming related work.

Is this true? Or are they just being tough as they don't like the fact that I'm importing a car for which I paid half of what you'd pay in the NL? Could anyone tell me where I can find the right info about this?

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST