BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Evolve Automotive

08-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands

Drives: BMW 135i

What is with the Xbox 360 Communist Party?

Everytime i happen to stumble onto some sort of a site devoted to the Xbox, i see the PS3 being knocked. These wasters seem to think that the only console anybody ever needs is the Microsoft Xbox. Glorified Blu Ray player? Yeah right...

I know of car people divided into camps but the only thing that comes close to this is the Holden vs Ford thing they occupy themselves with in Australia land.

To clarify, i do use both but iam rather partial to the Playstation. Everything is wrong with the Xbox, the controller, the Microsoft point system, the accessories and the features.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
crooked I
Private First Class

Drives: M

if there is a "360 communist party" then there is a PS3 communist party.

on a ps3 forum u will see the same thing ppl bashing the 360.

i like the 360 better, but that's probably because i've played PS3 like twice in my life
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
brocken
Captain

Drives: 335i

What he said (tuttai). The PS3 forums are just as full of 360 haters.

I have both and I agree that at the moment the PS3 is really more of a Blu Ray player and media center. When they have a larger selection of good games and improve their online party experience then I would consider them a contender.
I also like the 360 controllers way better. The size and layout of the joysticks and buttons is way more ergonomic. Plus, you don't have to plug the controller into the 360 only while it's powered on to charge it. swappable battery packs are awesome when you have extended game sessions.

I will say that I don't like the MS points system or how they do billing but I do like their live services much better. It's so easy for me to connect with a bunch of friends and play a variety of games.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
darkphantom
Banned

Drives: E93 335i

Send a message via AIM to darkphantom
ps3 sucks.
/thread
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

I have both, but have been a playstation owner for 15 years, or however long it's been since the ps1 came out. I only purchased a 360 this January. I tend to gravitate toward the ps3 on multiplatform releases probably just out of habit which has bitten me in the ass. Fallout 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV are two great games that I own on the ps3 and both have had some (reportedly, it looks awesome though) outstanding DLC that are 360 exclusive which is annoying. I understand why though, the 360 is easier to develop for, and Microsoft brings $$ to the table to secure those rights.

I think a lot of it has to do with which one really brought you into console gaming to begin with. I think I bought my first Playstation just to play Tekken 1. I saw a demo being played at Best Buy in 1995 as a senior in high school and immediately started thinking if I could afford one with my budget on my crappy summer job by the time I went to school in the fall.

As gaming became more popular and Microsoft released the Xbox many gamers were exposed to the penultimate console shooter, Halo (at the time, everything that resembled a proper shooter was PC-only or sucked pretty badly). The Halo series has gotten so big it might have eclipsed everything but the 3 major religions worldwide. As an avid PC gamer who had been playing shooters ( and on-line ones at that) for years prior to Halo I never understood the massive appeal. I used to play Tribes in 32 vs. 32 person battles for all hours of the day and night, and then Team fortress when I was bored of that. So the limited multiplayer in Halo was not all that impressive to me.

The fanboy-ism in the console world is pretty amazing. Although having been a gamer since the commodore 64 and seen the rise and fall of many platforms I do have to say that the extreme fanboyism started in the Xbox crowd. When you're the new kid on the block and have something to prove you find whoever is number 1 and pick them apart. I can't tell you how many Xbox owner's knocked my ps2 as having inferior hardware, not as good exclusive releases ( even though that clearly wasn't the case at the time, that has since changed imo) etc... oddly enough the exact same arrows the current ps3 fanboys throw at 360 owners.

Current ps3 fanboys do have an interesting problem. The Xbox 360 has outsold the shit out of the ps3. EVEN THOUGH the hardware is not as strong, EVEN THOUGH 60% of them fail with the infamous RROD, and EVEN THOUGH Xbox took a gamble on the already obsolete HD-DVD, they DO NOT care, so think of something else because you are now the one trying to pick apart their armor. I think the wild success of the Wii has shown that the strength of the hardware matters only to the hard core gamer crowd. Although I feel that the Wii's ultimate fate is going the way of the Pool tables or Foosball tables in your home, something cool in many peoples houses, but isn't actually ever turned on or played except by the kids or when other kids (who don't have them in their homes) come over.

While the ps3 is considered a 'media center' and the Xbox a "gaming console" they are definately in direct competition with each other. Although I already know that the ps3's Blu-ray capability (and it's a very strong player at that, still recommended over most Blu-ray only players that are coming on the market even today) will keep it in my family room for years and years, even though It probably won't be my main gaming console 5 years from now.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands

Drives: BMW 135i

^^ Good explanation. Like you said, i can probably relate more to the PlayStation because that is what ive bought all my life but that does not change the Xbox's terrible reliability (iam on my second) and it's inability to be as technically sophisticated as the Playstation.

The PS3 will probably have a longer lifespan than the Box, i hear the new Forza has so much content that it needs 2 discs. When it does retire, it will be remembered as forward thinking, especially considering Sony were making a loss on each early one (despite pricing it a bit rich back then)

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
I have both as well. Xbox hardware is horrible. Expect everything to break. Even my original Xbox died prematurely on me. The PS3 hardware is better, the controllers are better, and bluray media is obviously better than dvd. But what makes the xbox a better game console than the PS3 is simple. Xbox Live. Yes, it costs $50 bucks a year, but I'd love to pay for a better PSN. Mandatory game installs on the Playstation are also annoying. For hardware that's supposedly superior in performance, it's sad how games require install when they don't on the 360. Both systems are really equal in graphics. There are cross-platform games that run/look better on PS3 and 360.

I really like both systems for different reasons. I prefer the 360 as a game console. Xbox live is awesome. If it's a cross-platform game, I'll generally buy it on the 360 unless it happens to run better on PS3. PS3 has some great exclusive titles (as does the 360) and is an awesome bluray/media player.
      08-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
jhv
Lieutenant General
No_Country

Drives: Every Day

tbh, i think the ps3 controllers are shitty; theyre clumsy and awkward for me
      08-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #9
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
tbh, i think the ps3 controllers are shitty; theyre clumsy and awkward for me
The more I think about it, it depends on the type of game I'm playing. I actually prefer the 360 controller for FPS games, but the PS3 controller for pretty much anything else. I think it's because Sony has stuck with the same layout since the original playstation.
      08-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough

Drives: VF

The value of dedicated servers has been proven worth every penny for anyone who has had to deal with the BS of multiplayer CoD. Great game made less great by Sony's free online system. I'd rather pay, tyvm.

But the XBoxes have been notoriously unreliable, and the benefit of Blu-Ray is a huge advantage. Both have their pluses and minuses. I'm a PS3 guy myself, but I do admit that the XBox does have the PS3 beat badly with their XBox Live. And PS3 beats XBox in the sense that you don't have to replace it every couple of months and you get a blu-ray player.

Blu-Ray defeating HD-DVD might have been the deciding blow though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States

Drives: '08 E92 335i

PS3 controllers are for people with midgety-ass baby hands. The analog sticks suck, and the triggers feel weird. The library of games is largely uninteresting to me, and the online network pales in comparison to XBL.

However, all but one of those points I just stated is SUBJECTIVE.

Quit fucking trying to persuade others to believe what you believe. That's the problem with the gaming community. I used to be hardcore into gaming, but I haven't really made the time for it anymore (work, gym, social life, e90post lol). The amount of fanboyism is fucking ridiculous. It's all because we have these little bitch kids who only have enough money to buy one console because they can't get a part time job, so they rag on the other consoles to justify their purchases. I can't think of many other things in the world with so much (unnecessary) rivalry.

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
The more I think about it, it depends on the type of game I'm playing. I actually prefer the 360 controller for FPS games, but the PS3 controller for pretty much anything else. I think it's because Sony has stuck with the same layout since the original playstation.
It's because you're used to them.

I hate the analog sticks. They're too loose, too low, and too close together. The design favors symmetry over ergonomics.

The D-Pad kicks the shit out of the 360's though.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
^^ Good explanation. Like you said, i can probably relate more to the PlayStation because that is what ive bought all my life but that does not change the Xbox's terrible reliability (iam on my second) and it's inability to be as technically sophisticated as the Playstation.

The PS3 will probably have a longer lifespan than the Box, i hear the new Forza has so much content that it needs 2 discs. When it does retire, it will be remembered as forward thinking, especially considering Sony were making a loss on each early one (despite pricing it a bit rich back then)
I've yet to see this as a plus, besides sounding better on paper.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
It's because you're used to them.

I hate the analog sticks. They're too loose, too low, and too close together. The design favors symmetry over ergonomics.

The D-Pad kicks the shit out of the 360's though.
I agree completely. That's why I said I like them because the design has been around so long. I've been using them forever. The D pad on the 360 controller is completely useless for precision movements like in fighting games.
      08-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I agree completely. That's why I said I like them because the design has been around so long. I've been using them forever. The D pad on the 360 controller is completely useless for precision movements like in fighting games.
I find the analog sticks/d-pads weak for FPS games when compared to a mouse/keyboard combo. Since these consoles have USB ports (right?) I'd love to see a game support mouse/keyboard -- I'd enjoy games like Halo and Gears of War 2 so much more then
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum09 View Post
I find the analog sticks/d-pads weak for FPS games when compared to a mouse/keyboard combo. Since these consoles have USB ports (right?) I'd love to see a game support mouse/keyboard -- I'd enjoy games like Halo and Gears of War 2 so much more then
For sure. But when you play with analogs long enough, you do get used to them and everyone is on an even playing field.
      08-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
bling_singh
Private First Class

Drives: '09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
ps3 sucks.
/thread
Given that in two and a half years the PS3 has come back and absolutle eliminated every single argument against it I'd have to disagree. 3 and a half year later XBoxes are still red ringing at an inappropriate rate. Does more than the 360 at the exact same price point.....and online gaming is still free...it really does suck being a PS3 owner............?

That being said, these new commercials coming out are pretty dope.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...es-everything/
Appreciate 0